Meet Our Columnists: Robert Adducci

In this installment I interview our Adventurers League beat reporter, Robert Adducci!

This is the latest in a series of interviews of our EN World Columnists. In this installment I interview our Adventurers League beat reporter, Robert Adducci!

Dark Sun Cover.jpg

Michael Tresca (MT): Tell us a little about who you are and what you do.
Robert Adducci (RA):
I'm Robert Adducci, I'm a longtime gamer, having started gaming in 1989 with the Mentzer Red Box. From there we quickly moved to AD&D 2e and I embraced the new Dark Sun world in 1991. I've loved the setting ever since going so far as to starting a website called The Burnt World of Athas in 1997. In 2000 this site was chosen as the "official" Dark Sun site on the web, and it is still around at Athas.org with constant updates. In 2010 I wrote a Dark Sun adventure for the organized play campaign Ashes of Athas and that started my involvement in the industry. Since then I've done marketing and game design from numerous companies including Wizards of the Coast, Paizo, Schwalb Entertainment, Modiphius, Kobold Press, Ulisses Spiele, and more (see RPG Geek for my full list of content). I'm also an admin on the big D&D 5e group on Facebook (180k+), the Dark Sun Facebook Group (12k+), and the Dark Sun discord. Currently I work as a freelance designer and marketing pro in the industry with AAW Games, Norse Foundry, ENWorld (D&D Adventurers League column) and others. I've also been a pro-GM for the past 8 years running Dark Sun (3 games currently), Planescape, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Vampire, Shadow of the Demon Lord and more games via Startplaying.games.and Fantasy Grounds. I also do a podcast along with Jesse Heinig about Dark Sun called Bone, Stone, & Obsidian. It's a more or less monthly podcast where we interview designers, fans, and just talk about Dark Sun topics over all editions of D&D.

MT: What's next for your column?
RA:
For my D&D Adventurers League Column in addition to keeping up on the latest news I want to do a retrospective on the first 7 seasons. I worked for Wizards of the Coast as one of the 6 admins of the D&D AL during that time and think I have some unique perspectives on events for those that weren't there or were not involved in the community.

MT: Are there any interviews or product reviews you're looking forward to covering?
RA:
There are so many new D&D AL products that it's impossible to keep up on but I'm eager to see what the new D&D AL International Premier Organization, the Greasy Snitches creates as well as Baldman Games and GameholeCon.

MT: What games are you planning to play this year?
RA:
I plan on playing a lot of Dark Sun of course, I run 2 twice a month games and one weekly game online as well as a weekly in-person home game. I also want to play a bunch of Shadow of the Weird Wizard and maybe sneak in a game or two of Vampire.

MT: If your work is published anywhere else, where can we find you?
RA:
The best place to find me is in the various Dark Sun communities. You can find me on Athas.org. You can see my other work at my design page on RPG Geek. I also have a Patreon where I've been creating a Dark Sun like world called the Feral Expanse.There I've been posting content for the #Lore24 project which is a piece of content every day.

MT: What is your relevant social media and where can fans follow you?
RA:

MT: Anything else you'd like to add?
RA:
I hope people that are interested in a 5e desert post apocalyptic fantasy setting check out my Feral Expanse work. Here's the introduction which you can find for free on my Patreon with the #Lore24 tag:
The Feral Expanse, a realm of stark contrasts and untamed beauty, unfurls across an unforgiving landscape where the resilient spirit of its inhabitants challenges the very notion of survival. In this sun-scorched land, civilization clings to life in pockets of resilience, each a testament to the enduring will of its people.

At the heart of the Expanse lies its diverse cultures, a mosaic of traditions and practices shaped by the harsh reality of their environment. The inhabitants of this land have adapted in extraordinary ways, carving out existences in harmony with, or sometimes in defiance of, the relentless elements. Nomadic tribes wander the vast deserts and rocky plateaus, their lives a dance with the ever-shifting sands. Herders and wildcrafters follow ancient paths laid by their forebears, their practices a deep-rooted communion with the natural world. Meanwhile, the sedentary folk in villages and city-states cultivate hardy crops and maintain bastions of order amidst the chaos of the wilderness.

Magic and psionics are woven into the fabric of the Feral Expanse, each a distinct force that shapes the destiny of its people. The practice of elemental devotion is a pivotal aspect of spirituality here. Elemental priests call forth their power from the primal forces of nature – venerating elemental spirits believed to be the lifeblood of the land. This reverence is not just religious; it is a pragmatic acknowledgment of the primal forces that dictate the rhythms of life in the Expanse.

Arcane magic, particularly volatile “Warp Magic”, is viewed with a mixture of awe and fear. Associated with dangerous mutations and environmental corruption, Warp Magic is a path tread by only the most daring or desperate. In contrast, psionics, the manifestation of extraordinary mental prowess, is a ubiquitous and accepted facet of life. From the nomadic tribes to the heart of the city-states, those gifted with psionic abilities use their powers for everything from mundane tasks to extraordinary feats of mental strength.

The city-states, each a unique entity, are the political powerhouses of the Expanse. Governed by the “Dread Sovereigns” – rulers who wield either psionic might or magical power – these city-states are crucibles of culture, conflict, and intrigue. The Sovereigns, with their autocratic rule, cast long shadows over their domains, their power a constant reminder of the tenuous balance between order and tyranny.

Yet, amidst the severity of the Expanse, there is a light in the darkness. Trade caravans crisscross the perilous sands, connecting isolated communities and bringing news from afar. Artisans and craftspeople keep ancient traditions alive, their work a celebration of the human spirit. And in every corner of the Expanse, from the humblest village to the grandest city-state, stories are told – tales of heroism, of survival, of the indomitable will to endure against all odds.

The Feral Expanse, with its blend of cultures, magic, and raw natural beauty, is a land of contradictions and wonders. It is a realm where the struggle for survival coexists with a deep reverence for the mysteries of the world, where the harshness of the land is matched only by the resilience of its people. In this land of elemental forces and ancient magic, every dune, every stone, and every soul has a story to tell.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Vincent55

Adventurer
As someone who has run it with 5e, I can agree with that feeling. If I ran it again, it would be 2e using the original books, or 3.5e using Athas.org's awesome conversion.
With a more gritty take on 5e maybe, more survival, and tacking gear and food and water. Less aliment more of an allegiance system, and slow healing no short rests healing and have it dependant on medical kits and skill otherwise magic would be faster or alechmey use would be good here.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
With a more gritty take on 5e maybe, more survival, and tacking gear and food and water. Less aliment more of an allegiance system, and slow healing no short rests healing and have it dependant on medical kits and skill otherwise magic would be faster or alechmey use would be good here.
I had to nerf/ban/houserule a lot of stuff to make it work. Was way too much effort IMO when the game could have been much easier to run in 2e or 3.5e where all of that work has been done already. If I was to use a non-D&D game for it I'd likely go with Forbidden Lands or Savage Worlds. 5e is just not worth it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads