Looking for a slick Mass Combat System? Stop the Search!

Old One

First Post
Hey Gang,

I have looked at, perused and even play-tested (not "official" play-tests, mind you) most of the Mass Combat systems out there and have yet to find one that is simple, scaleable, flexible and easy to use. Tonight, my search came to an end.

The fine folks at Bad Axe Games (Wulf and crew) have recently made the Mass Combat system from the Slavelords of Cydonia available as a separate .pdf download over at RPGNow. Better yet, they included a nifty spreadsheet to automatically calculate the BR (Battle Rating) of virtually any unit. All you need is the CR and # of each type of combatant. Want a mixed unit of orcs, goblins and ogres with a hill giant leader? No problem, input the appropriate CRs and strength of each component and this little beauty spits out the BR.

PCs (and other heroes) are able to interact at various levels (strategic and tactical) and they can even "take one for the team" by sacrificing some (or all) of their hit points to soak up damage a unit takes. The rules can be used with or without a battlemat and work very well. Check it out...for $1.95 (US), you can't go wrong!

I have taken the liberty of including a link:

Bad Axe Mass Combat

~ OO

Last edited:

Zoatebix

Working on it
I thought I was done making pdf purchases for the week...

Though I could just find Slavelords of Cydonia. No FLGS I've been to has it, though. The ENWorld shop might be the next best thing.

Lucias

First Post
Well, I picked up the PDF based on comments here and am pretty impressed. I'll probably combine it with the domain rules from Eden's Fields of Blood at some point.

One request though...can someone walk me through an example of a battle with a magical dedicated unit? Every time I read the section on Magical Attacks I keep thinking that there's a paragraph missing as it just doesn't make the most sense to me...

GlassJaw

Hero
One request though...can someone walk me through an example of a battle with a magical dedicated unit? Every time I read the section on Magical Attacks I keep thinking that there's a paragraph missing as it just doesn't make the most sense to me...

Post in the OGL forum. Wulf/Ben is very good about replying and answering questions.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Yeah, I saw that listing on Amazon and was a little weirded out by it. I picked up a copy of the pdf mass combat rules, though. I'll find a print copy of slavelords sometime soon...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I also just purchased the PDF based on the comments here. I haven't had a chance to look over it fully yet, but so far it looks top-notch, not having the mind-boggling complexity of Cry Havoc! nor the need for minis like in The Miniatures Handbook.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Holy crap. I just bought this thing since it didn't seem like too much to shell out for a mass combat system based on Grim Tales, and it's really good. I love it. Smooth and sensible. I don't have the patience or wargame savvy to handle all the wheeling and facing and so forth of the other mass combat systems I have, but this one doesn't really need any of that. And best of all, it speaks to both folks like me who have minis and a battlemat, and folks who don't. Neither group gets shafted.

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads