Travel back to the 1980s with me! *UPDATED*

n3dst4

First Post
UPDATE: I've just uploaded a new version. The big change is the "Adding Up" page at the back, which should spell out what needs to go where for players who have trouble "getting it". It covers BABs, saves, and AC. Minor improvements are pointing the Initiative box the other way round, and dropping 10th-levels spells in favour of 0th level spells. On account of the fact that people actually have 0th level spells. And now on with the advertised post...

The other day I pulled my old "red box" D&D set out of the attic. I say "red box", but of course I mean "dog-eared pink box". I was amazed at how slim the books were, how simple and easy the rules were. And then I turned over the "Players Manual" (no apostrophe) and lo! The OD&D character sheet on the back cover.

Remember the little flourishes around the shield-shaped AC box? The circular blanks for saving throws? Holding it side-by-side with a 3.5e character sheet, there was no contest. The old sheet reminded me of the glory days, not the arithmetic quagmire that the new sheet represents.

But I'm not just harping on about the old days, because I still want to play 3.5e, not OD&D. So I sat down with Illustrator and InDesign, and with apologies to The Mad Irishman, who has already travelled a short way down this road, I squeezed out a completely new, yet completely retro 3.5e character sheet. Yes, Virginia, there is a trapezoidal hit point box.

This is not just regression therapy. It's also my attempt at a genuinely more useable character sheet for 3.5e. All the arithemtic is banished to a rules summary page at the end, so all you have at the top of the first page is nice big blanks for the important numbers. The layout is more regular, less confusing than the standard sheet. It should certainly be a boon for players who still, after any number of games, say "Where's my initiative? Is that where it says reflex?"

Errata, opinions and thoughts are solicited: http://download.n3dst4.com/neds_d20_sheet.pdf

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
stats should read:

str
int
wis
con
dex
chr

if you want to emulate real OD&D(1974). or

str
int
wis
dex
con
cha

if you want the 2edD&D Holmes or 3edD&D Holmes or 1edADnD...

radferth

First Post
Very nice. I believe Necromancer Games has one to download as well (at least they used to). NG's is a bit crowded and less thorough on the skills, but the non-spell stuff fits on one page. They also offer a version with the old ability order (str, int, wis, dex, con, chr). I like the smaller format as DM, but I will probably use yours the next time I am a player, with the clean look and space for writing stuff down.

Estlor

Explorer
Excellent job! It really does make me feel like I'm in the 6th grade again...

Of course, if you want to be totally accurate, you need to make it landscape and not portrait...

n3dst4

First Post
Regarding stat order... yipes! You are, of course, completely right, but I still think I'd rather cling onto the shreds of my sanity than implement that :) What are 2edD&D Holmes and 3edD&D Holmes, by the way?

Regarding other "retro" sheets: I'd seen MI's, and the one he did for Necro. Goodman's was new to me, but I still stick by my principle of keeping the algebra off the front page.

Regarding landscape format... I always viewed the single page as being a condensed spread, so I used to photocopy each half seperately and blow it up to fill the whole page. The boxes were HUGE!

I'd be interested to hear what people think about it aside from the retroness, as well: leaving off the maths, for example. Oh, and there are no psionics on it. I don't have the psionics book and haven't read the psionics bits in the SRD, and I didn't like psionics in 2e.

Remove ads