• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wandering books and sticky fingers

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
OK, I'm in a sticky situation, and need an outside perspective.

Here's the situation.

I've been running the same group of players for about 1.5-2 years, all in the same campaign. Currently the group has two old friends of mine, and three people who responded to adds and word of mouth. 2 of the three are GMs themselves, though with their own groups, and one of those is only a sometimes. I always host the game at my house.

About a year ago, my original copies of Song and Silence and Sword and Fist went wandering. Not to be found, and not accidentally packed up in someone's stuff. One of the new players was gracious enough to buy replacement copies through E-bay.

Had another scare of wandering books, though it was quickly found. Marked all the books I'd lend to players during a session. Basically, all the player-oriented stuff, like the Complete Warrior, but not the GM-stuff, like the various modules and monster collections.

Last month, my (marked) copy of Masters of the Wild went missing. Or more accurately, I discovered it missing; I hadn't used it for a while. Announced it at the next game; no-one has found it yet.

After this past session, my (unmarked) copy of Libris Mortis went missing. I've contacted all my players. None of the three I've heard back from have it. I've still to hear from two.

Now, I can afford the *material* loss, as I've got a decent salary. What I can't afford is the immaterial loss that my paranoia is suspecting. I don't want to accuse my players of anything, especially since I have no proof, and not even circumstantial evidence.

What I'm planning on doing is provide the following ultimatum to the group. "Bookcase privileges are revoked. No more examining any of my books, before, during, or after my session. No more handling of my books except at my specific request. Should one more book go wandering, I will disband this group immediately."

Does anyone see any alternatives?

Crothian

First Post
Do a book count at the end of each session before people leave. Tell erveryone up front that you will be doing this.

Lo-jack you books!! :lol:

Greylock

First Post
Bag checks and random beatings. No kidding. I hate thieves, and if someone I'd invited into my house was stealing frm me? Believe me, there'd be a caning coming, real quick.

Make some hard decisions. Gut-check's of your own vs. your friends bluff rolls. You'll suss out the thief.

HTH

Hodgie

First Post
I think you have grounds to be a bit more upset than you appear. It seems pretty obvious that someone is intentionally taking your books. Regardless of whether or not it stops... someone _was_ intentionally taking your books who shows up and expects you to put forth effort for his/her enjoyment.

I'd put forth considerable effort to not only get your stuff back, but also to find out who it was.

Altalazar

First Post
I'd make sure you hadn't misplaced it, nor had members of the family move it or "put it away" - best not to accuse anyone of anything when you don't know for sure. But what you can do is mark your books that you have at the table and pretty much keep them all put away.

Perhaps some marks on the inside cover that only show up under UV light, so you can then have a hidden mark... but really, just best to keep track of them.

Corsair

First Post
My group tends to have books shuffle hands unintentionally. Many of us have just started writing our names inside the front covers so we can make sure the right books end up in the right hands.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Hodgie said:
I think you have grounds to be a bit more upset than you appear. It seems pretty obvious that someone is intentionally taking your books. Regardless of whether or not it stops... someone _was_ intentionally taking your books who shows up and expects you to put forth effort for his/her enjoyment.

I'd put forth considerable effort to not only get your stuff back, but also to find out who it was.

Oh, if I knew who it was, they'd think I was appearing as upset as I was. Right now, all I've got are suspicions, and I'm not going to verbally rip someone from :):):):):):):) to piehole in front of the group and expel them with extreme prejudice on that basis. And despite Terry Prachet, repeated rounds of "You did it. I know you did it. Admit you did it.", isn't a very effective interrogation technique.

I also know that in the past I've been to quick to suspect thievery, when in fact, the item(s) in question were merely lost/misplaced. In this particular case, the latter is extremely unlikely, as I live alone, without even pets. (My dog did NOT eat my gaming book.)

I'm also very consciously and carefully NOT letting myself spin-up; right now, it would serve no purpose.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Corsair said:
My group tends to have books shuffle hands unintentionally. Many of us have just started writing our names inside the front covers so we can make sure the right books end up in the right hands.

That's what several of our friends do.

And people say that it's odd when I post, "No stealing" in table rules...

cmanos

First Post
Don't let the players use your books for anything. If they want to use a book, tell them to buy it themselves or share with another player. You've had 4 books come up missing? Someone thinks you're a shmuck. Lay down the law and tell them you will be checking bacgs when people leave, and that you want the books back.

also...Mark ALL your books. I usually put my name inside. my initials across the side of the pages, and then pick one page in all the book...say 56...and put my initials somewhere on the page where I know it will be, but isn't totally noticeable.

diaglo

Adventurer
i don't lend my older stuff out.

i'm not that trusting. :uhoh:

but i have no problem lending my d02 stuff.

currently, biorph has a Kalamar guide

and JoeBlank has Complete Arcane

in ye olde dayes... i loaned my Rogues Gallery and a couple modules to a friend. that weekend his parents went with their church to the public library.. checked out the D&D material and burned it in the parking lot. the church encouraged members to add to the flames. my Rogues Gallery went up in flames. :mad:

i never blamed my buddy. but i also stopped letting him take stuff home.

Remove ads