• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wandering books and sticky fingers

Hodgie

First Post
If someone were to steal your books how are they getting out of your house? My gamers don't bring backpacks, so everything is in their hands as they pack up to leave. I know what I brought to the table and if it wasn't there when we were packing up I could quickly glance around and see if anyone had it. Assuming your situation is at least similar, that means someone is trying pretty hard to steal.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
GuardianLurker said:
Any ideas out there for what I should do if I can't identify the (potential) thief(s)?

There are plenty of other games in North Virginia. Sorry, man. But if you let this continue you'll turn into such a doormat you'll have the word "Welcome" tattooed on your back.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Hodgie said:
If someone were to steal your books how are they getting out of your house? My gamers don't bring backpacks,...

Unfortunately mine do. Or laptops with bags. Or briefcases. And in one case, a freakin' duffle (though he's not on my prime suspect list).

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
GuardianLurker said:
Unfortunately mine do. Or laptops with bags. Or briefcases. And in one case, a freakin' duffle (though he's not on my prime suspect list).

Damn man. Anyone bringing a laptop doesn't need to steal books; he can buy them (not that he's the culprit...).
I hate thieves even more than I hate cheaters. Find the culprit and ban him from the game. If he whines about it, let him know that he's lucky you're banning him instead of breaking his legs. :mad:

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Bran Blackbyrd said:
Damn man. Anyone bringing a laptop doesn't need to steal books; he can buy them (not that he's the culprit...).

Oh, that's one of the reasons I'm upset - *NONE* of the players need to steal. All of us are gainfully employed. Whoever's swiping the books is doing it by preference, not necessity.

{Deep Breath}{Hold for 10}{Exhale}

But I can't let myself spin up - I've got to make it to next Saturday calm and rational.

VirgilCaine

First Post
That's a bad situation you've gotten yourself into. I certainly wouldn't show as much restraint.

But, I do have to say, nice sig. "Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself."

strongbow

First Post
I speak from experience: You need to get a handle on this now, otherwise you stand the risk of the theft escalating.

My brother and I, who live together and pool our books, had multiple books dissappear. We bought FIVE, yes FIVE copies of Magic of Faerun b/c our Magic of Faerun kept walking away. Since we played at our place, the books never left the house. We also lost the FRCS, 3 Mongoose Quintessential books, and probably 10-15 others over the course of 2 years. Since my brother and I both worked at a game store, I'm betting the thief figured that we could afford to replace our "losses" with our employee discount.

We told the group, pleaded with them to bring back books, and then grew somewhat cynical. We even set up a box that someone could sneak up and deposit a "borrowed" book without being seen. None of these measures worked.

Nowadays, beyond getting rid of the thief, we write our names all over our books to the point of being obnoxious. All three page edges, initials/name on the front cover, back cover and spine, inside cover, outside cover.

This may sound silly, but you need to fix a price on your friendship. How many books are you willing to lose? Take it from someone who suspected but could never prove that someone was a thief.

This much is true: Calling out someone you suspect is pointless without proof and will lead to much yelling and hurt feelings. Setting up surveilance is not a bad idea as it might seem. If you show a video of someone stealing a book to the rest of the people in the group, there is no way the others will sympathize with the thief if your books are marked in an obnoxious fashion. Yeah, it might feel bad to put stickers or other very visible markings on your books, but I would encourage you to do so. Basically, you make it so there is NO FREAKING WAY someone can take a book by "mistake".

Asking the group for ideas is fine in principle, but really, what do you expect? You will confuse and stump your players. Take matters into your own hands, don't call the police, and don't beat up anyone!

After other measures are taken, you can escalate matters. Make sure you clean your place up completely to ensure the book did not get stashed somewhere as a practical joke gone too far (I've had that happen too). Thanks for listening.

Chimera

First Post
I agree with BiggusDi...er...Geekus that you're at serious risk of becoming a doormat, if you haven't already.

Zero tolerance for thievery. If I were you, I'd be doing a point-by-point inventory of my other possessions to be sure I wasn't missing any of my DVDs (boxes on the shelf notwithstanding) or minor valuables.

Surveilance. Good idea. Anyone who complains that you don't trust them isn't thinking it through. You can't afford to be give your complete trust to the entire group and surveilance is impersonal - it's not aimed at any one person, no accusations are being made. The entire point is that you don't know who is doing it, so you're putting out the 'Wizard Eye' to find out!

Besides, once you catch the thief on video, you can play the recording at the next session and have plenty of help in er, "settling the matter". Otherwise you have something you can always take to the police and have the person charged with petty theft. (The threat of which may be useful in regaining your lost property.)

In any event, my sympathies. I could never tolerate that much thievery. I'd have disbanded the group after the second such theft, letting everyone know exactly why I was doing so.

Tough one. I have missplaced books before, suspecting they may have been stolen, only to find it later stuffed inside a lesser used pocket in my widget bag.

I have heard that some DM's who shoulder the cost of new book materials in long standing groups/campaigns institute a small book collection fund from their players on a regular basis, say $5 each a month or so. The players realize they benefit from this situation as it may be unfair for the DM to bear this expense alone. That might be a good idea to try if you plainly tell the group your situation ( without resorting to sit-com trap baiting techniques ) and offer them a non-confronational way to rectify the problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads