PrC: Devil´s fist

yennico

First Post
PrC: Devil´s fist

I only played D&D 3.0 and this prc is my first try of a 3.5 build. Please give mir your critics.
I tried to build a rogue/cleric with abilites of a monk.
I used the 3.0 Devilfist (FFE: Demon & Devils Volume II) and the Sacred Fist as inspiration.
I do not own the BoVD :(

Devil´s fist 3.5
Descrition:
The devils want to reign the world but they seldom can enter the material plane. So they recruit mortal beings or half-fiends to become their hands and eyes on the material world. Anando Bloodclaw was the first devil´s fist He founded the non-members unknown organization of the devil´s fists on the material plane. He was the founder of a monastery in a secret valley where more devil´s fist are trained. All Devil´s fists work in secret with at least one cover identity. They are ambassadors, advisors to kings or only assassins. A devil´s fist is normally the person behind a ruler who is the real ruler. The devil´s fists can achieve their goals either by speech (diplomacy, bluff), by spells or by secret force (assassination). To become a devil´s fist is not an easy task. A potential member must have made a peaceful contact with a devil. The devil can inform this person of the existence of the devil´s fists. Not all devils know of the devil´s fists, only powerful devils know about this secret organization. Only low level clerics will become devil´s fists because many higher level clerics have a strong bond to their deity. Even a devil lord do not want to anger a deity. To become a devil´s fist a potential rogue/cleric must now worship a devil lord as his god. Being a devil´s fist the new cleric of a devil lord now prays at midnight or in the night to his devil lord to grant him his spells.Some rumors exist that also demon´s claws, the organization of the hands and eyes for the demons on the material world exist , but they are only rumors. Demons are to chaotic to develop a organization like the devil´s fists.

Prerequisites:
Alignment: only lawful evil, some rare lawful neutral are also low ranking members
Race: any
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Disguise 4, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 4 ranks
BAB: +6
Feats: Alertness, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Sneak Attack +2d6
Spell Casting: Ability to cast divine spells of 1rd level or higher
Special: Must have made a peaceful contact with a devil, must worship a devil as god

Benefits:
Hd: d8
Skill points: 6 + Int
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimitate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Locks (Dex), Pick Pocket (Dex), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hands (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Code:
Level   BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Spellcasting	Furry of blows Special Abilities
 1	+0	+0	+2	+2	+1 Lev Cleric	-2/-2          Improved unarmed strike
 2	+1	+0	+3	+3	+1 Lev Cleric	-1/-1          Sneak attack +1d6, Devil´s claw: 1d4 unarmed strike							
 3	+2	+1	+3	+3	+1 Lev Cleric	0/0             Stunning Fist, Ki strike (magic)
 4	+3	+1	+4	+4	--            +1/+1            Poison Immunity, Devil´s claw :1d6 unarmed strike 
 5	+3	+1	+4	+4	+1 Lev Cleric	+2/+2          Flurry of Blows, Blindsense 10 ft.
 6	+4	+2	+5	+5	+1 Lev Cleric	+3/+3          SA +2d6, Devil´s claw: 1d8 unarmed strike 
 7	+5	+2	+5	+5	+1 Lev Cleric	+4/+4          Telepathy 100ft
 8	+6	+2	+6	+6	--	       +5/+5          Ki strike (lawful)  Devil´s claw: 1d10 unarmed strike 
 9	+6	+3	+6	+6	+1 Lev Cleric	+6/+6/+1      Death attack, See in total darkness
10      +7	+3	+7	+7	+1 Lev Cleric	+7/+7/+2  SA +3d6, Devil´s claw: 2d6 unarmed strike

Special Abilities:
Improved unarmed strike: same as the feat.
SA: sneak attack same as the rogue´s sneak attack.
Devils Claw: The hands and feet of a devil´s fist transform into hands and feet with retractable claws. The claw does unarmed damage 1d4 at level 2, 1d6 at level 4, 1d8 at level 6, 1d10 at level 8, 2d6 at level 10. A half-fiend devil´s fists with natural claws do get at level 2 only the benefit of retracting their claws.
Stunning fist: same as the feat.
Ki strike (magic) and Ki strike (lawful) same as the monks abilities of the same name.
Flurry of Blows: same as the ability of the monk
Blindsense: same as ability of the sacred fist.
Poison Immunity: same as the ability of all devils.
Telepathy: same as the devils ability.
Death attack: same as the assassin´s death attack.
See in total darkness: same as the ability of all devils.

All comments are appreciated ?
Is this class to powerful ? Balanced ? Do you think this prc can survive in a fight?

Edited: some spelling errors found

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd like to know more about the organization. The prestige class, as written, is like a monk/rogue: flurry, ki strike, sneak attack, many skill points, etc. What function do members of this class fulfill?

I like the existing prose, but that says more about how one becomes a Devil's Fist than what they actually are.

palleomortis

First Post
I know what you mean tho. You start a thread and everyone has to read it, but no one wants to leave a hint or support. It's a cruel world.( by the way, you spelt read wrong, were did you get readed?)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
palleomortis said:
I know what you mean tho. You start a thread and everyone has to read it, but no one wants to leave a hint or support. It's a cruel world.( by the way, you spelt read wrong, were did you get readed?)

I'd say that has to do with English not being a first language for yennico:

yennico said:

Shadeus

First Post
The pre-reqs are interesting. Requires Alertness, but no spot or listen requirements. Also PA doesn't seem to fit too nicely. Nothing about this PrC screams "brute force." I would choose one of the other skill feats like Negoiator or...whatever the Bluff one is. Maybe even a skill focus bluff.

Both Will and Refl good...hmm, that's pretty good.

- Flurry of blows: can they wear armor and still use this ability?
- Unarmed damage goes up a little quickly. I would start it at a base of 1d6 though.
- It seems that spell-casting is secondary to some of the other skills: maybe change the spell progression to every other level.
- Skill list: there is no Scry skill. Open locks and Tumble seem like a questionable class skills.
- Death attack is powerful, but not out of line.

Not too bad overall. You need 3 levels of rogue and 1 of cleric to qualify. I see some of the abilities as powerful, but not overly so. The unarmed damage progression is about the only thing that gives me a warning sign. If they are restricted to no armor, that makes things a little different than if the character can wear full plate and still get off a flurry of blows.

UltimaGabe

First Post
I'm a little confused... they get the Flurry of Blows ability at level 5, but there's a column for Flurry of Blows from level 1. When do they get it? Level 1, or level 5?

Remove ads