• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC: Devil´s fist

yennico

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
I'd like to know more about the organization. The prestige class, as written, is like a monk/rogue: flurry, ki strike, sneak attack, many skill points, etc. What function do members of this class fulfill?

I like the existing prose, but that says more about how one becomes a Devil's Fist than what they actually are.
I invented this organization for my new campaign. The theme of this campaign is finding out that devils or their minions have infiltrated the world and wants to conquer the world. The players have to find out more about this mysterious organization. I have to write down the information of this organization.

At first glance this prc is only for npcs because of the alignment. This prc is a rogue/cleric with features from a monk. He is a jack of all trades similar to a bard :).
The difference between the prc besides the abilities of a monk a bard is that the prc gets his spells and powers from a devil lord.

yennico

First Post
palleomortis said:
NICE!!! So what do you think of the US?
I do not comment the last election. :) and I have never been in the US.
I buy my RPG-books in English because in Germany you have to wait to long to get a bad translated D20 book. Some other RPG systems will not be translated into German e.g. Rifts.

yennico

First Post
Shadeus said:
The pre-reqs are interesting. Requires Alertness, but no spot or listen requirements. Also PA doesn't seem to fit too nicely. Nothing about this PrC screams "brute force." I would choose one of the other skill feats like Negoiator or...whatever the Bluff one is. Maybe even a skill focus bluff.
I have thought of making X ranks in spot an listen a requirement for this prc but I dislikes prc with only ranks in several skills as requirements.
Negotiator gives a +2 on diplomacy and +2 on sense motive. This is also an option. I also have thought of skill focus bluff as requirement.

Shadeus said:
- Flurry of blows: can they wear armor and still use this ability?
No to use this ability they have to wear no armor.

Shadeus said:
- Unarmed damage goes up a little quickly. I would start it at a base of 1d6 though.
d6 as start: you are right.

Shadeus said:
- It seems that spell-casting is secondary to some of the other skills: maybe change the spell progression to every other level.
I dislike reducing the spell progression because rog9cleric1/devil´s fist10 with the reduced spell progression has a caster level of 6. He can only cast 3rd level spells and a level 20 ranger can cast spells of level 4.
The spells are granted by their patron: a devil lord. So a rogue9/cleric1/devil´s fists level 10 should can cast spells at least as powerful as a ranger level 20

Shadeus said:
- Skill list: there is no Scry skill.
You are right. The scry skill was a house rule in our 3.5 campaign.

Shadeus said:
Open locks and Tumble seem like a questionable class skills.
Why? A devil´s fist, a prc with features of a monk and restrictions to no armor needs tumble to survive in a fight.
Open locks is not disable device. :) Working for a secret organization a devil´s fist sometimes need to enter locked rooms or to open locked chests. A devi´s fist is a part-time rogue. :)

Shadeus said:
Not too bad overall.
Thank you. :)

Shadeus said:
You need 3 levels of rogue and 1 of cleric to qualify.
No, a rogue 3 cleric 1 do have a bab of +6.
You can enter the prc at rogue 3 cleric 1 fighter 3, but this build will get a xp penalty. So I have to change the requirements. The only builds without a xp penalty is rogue 8 cleric 1.

Shadeus said:
I see some of the abilities as powerful, but not overly so. The unarmed damage progression is about the only thing that gives me a warning sign. If they are restricted to no armor, that makes things a little different than if the character can wear full plate and still get off a flurry of blows.
They are restricted to no armor to use the flurry of blows ability.

yennico

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
I'm a little confused... they get the Flurry of Blows ability at level 5, but there's a column for Flurry of Blows from level 1. When do they get it? Level 1, or level 5?
ooops. In this version they will get it at level 5, so the columm for flurry of blows is wrong.

yennico

First Post
palleomortis said:
So, how do you convert things from 3.0 to 3.5?
I have not converted a 3.0 prc straight to 3.5. I was only inspired by a 3.0 prc and I created my 3.5 prc with parts of the 3.0 prc.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
How's this?

Devil's Fist

Prerequisites
Alignment: Lawful evil or lawful neutral (but high-ranking members are always evil)
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Disguise 4, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Alertness, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Sneak Attack +2d6
Spellcasting: Ability to cast divine spells of 1st level or higher
Special: Must have made a peaceful contact with a devil and must worship a devil as god.

Benefits
HD: d8
Skill points: 6 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (any) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimitate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Locks (Dex), Pick Pocket (Dex), Profession (any) (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hands (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Base Attack: 3/4 (as cleric)
Good saves: Reflex and Will (as bard)

Code:
Level   Special Abilities
 1	Improved Unarmed Strike, unarmed damage 1d6, +1 spellcasting level
 2	Sneak attack +1d6, +1 spellcasting level
 3	Stunning Fist, [i]ki[/i] strike (magic), +1 spellcasting level
 4	Poison immunity, unarmed damage 1d8
 5	Flurry of blows, blindsense 10 ft., +1 spellcasting level
 6	Sneak attack +2d6, +1 spellcasting level
 7	Telepathy 100 ft, +1 spellcasting level
 8	[i]Ki[/i] strike (lawful), 1d10 unarmed damage
 9	Death attack, see in darkness, +1 spellcasting level
10	Sneak attack +3d6, 2d6 unarmed damage, +1 spellcasting level

Special Abilities
Improved Unarmed Strike: The devil's fist gains this feat as a bonus feat.
Sneak Attack: As the rogue ability.
Devil's Claw: The hands and feet of a devil's fist transform into hands and feet with retractable claws. These claws deal unarmed damage per the chart above. A devil's fists with natural claws that already deal as much or more damage gain only the ability to retract their claws.
Stunning Fist: The devil's fist gains this feat as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.
Ki Strike: As the monk abilities.
Flurry of Blows: As the monk ability.
Blindsense: The devil's fist gain the ability to sense creatures within 10 feet without making a Listen or Spot check (though they still have total concealment).
Poison Immunity: Devil's fists are immune to all natural and manufactured poisons.
Telepathy: As the diobolic ability.
Death Attack: As the assassin ability.
See in Darkness: Like some devils, devil's fists can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Last edited:

palleomortis

First Post
yennico said:
I do not comment the last election. :) and I have never been in the US.
I buy my RPG-books in English because in Germany you have to wait to long to get a bad translated D20 book. Some other RPG systems will not be translated into German e.g. Rifts.

Ouch, that's a pain. do you get a lot of books?

yennico

First Post
Here is my first revision. I changed the prerequisites and swapped the abilities at some levels.
I used the base save bonus instead of a base attack bonus, because with a base attack bonus fighters can enter this prc too easily.

Prerequisites
Alignment: Lawful evil or lawful neutral (but high-ranking members are always evil)
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Listen 8, Move Silently 8, Disguise 4, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks
Base Save Bonus: Will +4
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Combat Reflexes, Negotiator, Sneak Attack +2d6
Spellcasting: Ability to cast divine spells of 1st level or higher
Special: Must have made a peaceful contact with a devil and must worship a devil as god.

Benefits
HD: d8
Skill points: 6 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (any) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Locks (Dex), Pick Pocket (Dex), Profession (any) (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hands (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Base Attack: 3/4 (as cleric)
Good saves: Reflex and Will (as bard)

Level Special Abilities
1 flurry of blows, Devils claws, +1 spellcasting level
2 Ki strike (magic), +1 spellcasting level
3 Sneak attack +1d6
4 Poison immunity, +1 spellcasting level
5 blindsense 10 ft., spellcasting level
6 Sneak attack +2d6, +1 spellcasting level
7 Ki strike (lawful), +1 spellcasting level
8 Telepathy 100 ft, greater flurry
9 Sneak attack +3d6, +1 spellcasting level
10 Death attack, see in darkness +1 spellcasting level

Special Abilities
Flurry of blows: The devil's fist´s level stack with his monk levels (if any) for the purpose of determining his flurry of blows attack bonus. If a devil´s fist does not have a monk levels prior becoming a devil´s fists treat him as a monk of the same class level as his devil´s fist class level for determining the flurry of blows attack bonus.
Devil's Claw: The hands and feet of a devil's fist transform into hands and feet with retractable claws. These claws deal unarmed damage per the chart above. A devil's fists with natural claws that already deal as much or more damage gain only the ability to retract their claws.
The claws do unarmed damage 1d8 at level 1, 1d10 at level 4, 1d12 at level 7, 2d6 at level 10.
Sneak Attack: As the rogue ability.
Ki Strike: As the monk abilities.
Poison Immunity: Devil's fists are immune to all natural and manufactured poisons.
Blindsense: The devil's fist gain the ability to sense creatures within 10 feet without making a Listen or Spot check (though they still have total concealment).
Greater Flurry: As the monk ability
Telepathy: As the diabolic ability.
Death Attack: As the assassin ability.
See in Darkness: Like some devils, devil's fists can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Remove ads