D&D General A friend of mine has joined A 5E Dnd Group, has decided to play A Robin Hood Style character and wants to know what people think of his character

Reef

Hero
Also, this is really between him and his DM. I really doubt any conclusion this message board comes to will change anything. I highly doubt the DM is going to take our opinions into account…

JMISBEST

Explorer
Whether or not Prince John’s power is legitimate really has nothing to do with whether or not Robin Hood is evil. Those are questions of Lawful vs. Chaotic. You could argue that Robin Hood is Lawful, because he respects legitimate authority, and his rebellion is not out of a desire to dismantle power structures, but to restore what he believes to be the rightful order. You could also argue that he’s Neutral with regards to Law and Chaos because he obeys laws he believes to be just and violates laws he believes to be unjust. He is probably not Chaotic because though he is an outlaw, he doesn’t demonstrate that he is opposed to law in principle. He believes that a just order is possible, and desirable, and acts to try to restore that just order, so Chaotic is probably not a good fit.

With regards to Good vs. Evil, he is almost unquestionably Good. He acts altruistically, doing what he believes is right, for his nation and for its people. You could potentially argue that the fact that he sometimes does morally questionable things like stealing, and in that one episode of whatever show you were talking about earlier, killing, and therefore he should be considered Neutral, rather than Good. But, that argument could probably be applied to any D&D PC.

And, of course, none of this really matters that much. You your friend clearly have a specific idea in mind of how you want to play this character, so why does it matter what alignment you write on their character sheet? If this is a 5e character, chances are their alignment will never matter anyway. Just play the character as you envision them and don’t worry about what arbitrary label is on it.
I think that the main reason that even the sheriff was shocked at Robin actually killing is because he was famous, even among his enemies, for the fact that up until that point Robin had never killed a human, he hadn't even done mercy kills, and when possible Robin tried, and succeeded more then he failed, at keeping all 3 of the number of people that got injured, the total number of injuries inflicted and the severity of the injuries inflicted to a minimum

PS for those that never watched The TV I won't spoil anything but I will say that given what he thought had happened, and it very nearly did happen, I'm impressed that Robin didn't kill more of the sheriffs troops then he did

PPS in my opinion the reason that the sheriffs troops wore armour that was strong enough to protect against small wild animals and not strong enough to protect against well aimed arrows is because they weren't aware of what seems to have happened, and it very nearly did happen, hence they didn't know that they were going up against A Robin Hood that was angry enough for this to be the first fight in which he fights with the intention to kill

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
A friend of mine has joined A 5E Dnd Group, has decided to play A Robin Hood Style character and wants to know what people think of his character

He's gone for A Lawful Evil Human Rogue, male naturally, of The Noble Archtype, including the +1 to every stat for being human his stats are Str 11, Con 15, Dex 17, Int 12, Wis 9 and Ch 11. From The Rogue Class he took The Skills Athletics, Deception, Perception and Stealth, as a Rogue he took Proficiencies with Deception and Stealth and from The Noble Archtype he gains The Centaur Languages and gets The Skills History and Persuasion

To those that want to know what mates stat rolls when rolling his characters stats were prior to adding +1 to every stat for being human the rolls were 2 3's and 1 4 or 10 for Str, 2 4's and 1 6 or 14 for Con, 2 5's and 1 6 for Dex, 2 4's and 1 3 or 11 for Int, 2 2's and A 4 or 8 for Wis and 1 5, 3 and 1 2 or 10 for Ch

Wait, what? What exactly do you mean ",male naturally,"?

Clint_L

Hero
Someone needs to watch Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, or Men in Tights.

Errol FLynn.jpg

So butch!

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
My mate choose Lawful Evil alignment for 3 reasons

The 1st is because of the whole rob the rich to feed the poor thing

The 2nd is that despite the fact that most laws are both completely biased and totally corrupt they are still laws

The 3rd is that despite the fact that almost all law enforcement officials are corrupt and those that aren't are too scared of the power and influence that the 1's that are have their still law enforcement officials
Chaotic(disregarding laws that hurt people, or limit thier choices. ) good (to help those hurt by said laws) Nothing evil or lawful has been suggested. A Lawful Evil character who thought the laws were wrong would kill the guy that made them and take over and institute different laws that were beneficial to them .

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think that the main reason that even the sheriff was shocked at Robin actually killing is because he was famous, even among his enemies, for the fact that up until that point Robin had never killed a human, he hadn't even done mercy kills, and when possible Robin tried, and succeeded more then he failed, at keeping all 3 of the number of people that got injured, the total number of injuries inflicted and the severity of the injuries inflicted to a minimum
Yeah, this does not describe the behavior of an evil character

JMISBEST

Explorer
I'm referring to the fact that since its A Dnd version of Robin Hood my mate could have, but didn't, choose to play a female Robin Hood. After all things that are impossible in A Robin Hood story set in the real world are possible in A Dnd version of England during the time of King Richard

Last edited:

Remove ads