D&D General A friend of mine has joined A 5E Dnd Group, has decided to play A Robin Hood Style character and wants to know what people think of his character

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Most every name can be given to both boys and girls, especially if youre happy to accept alternate spellings. Afterall Marion can be a boys name and Little Joni and Allana Dale could be girls.
Obviously names don’t have inherent genders, but there are still cultural gender norms around names, and Robin is decidedly gender-neutral. Probably more common for girls, at least in my experience.

Allana Dale is great though, I love that.

MGibster

Legend
I always thought people took the Lawful part alignment a little too literally. A Lawful Good character who refuses to follow an evil law doesn't stop being Lawful. And likewise, a Chaotic Evil NPC who follows the orders of his Lawful Evil master to raze a village full of innocent people doesn't suddenly become Lawful himself. I have to admit that I do miss alignment, but threads like this kind of remind me why it's best that it's going the way of the Dodo.

JMISBEST

Explorer
There is a very good reason that Dnd has steadily moved away from alignment as having any mechanical impact to your character.... because no one agrees on alignment, this thread just being another great example.

Alignment is a role playing aid only, if it helps you get to the character you want to play great, but its really no longer a straight jacket or "reward/penalty" for playing a certain way.

As to the character, my only note is this seems more like the "personal adventurer" Robin Hood and not the "leader of men" version. Though you have persuasion your charisma is just average. If your going for more of a "leader of men, inspirer of the people" theme, I would bump up the charisma.
I asked my mate this and in his opinion A Dnd version of Robin Hood would initially be a personal adventurer who despite not being a leader of men their were people that would work alongside him and eventually for him against common foe's and eventually this would give him enough experience at Leadership for him to became a leader of men

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I always thought people took the Lawful part alignment a little too literally. A Lawful Good character who refuses to follow an evil law doesn't stop being Lawful. And likewise, a Chaotic Evil NPC who follows the orders of his Lawful Evil master to raze a village full of innocent people doesn't suddenly become Lawful himself. I have to admit that I do miss alignment, but threads like this kind of remind me why it's best that it's going the way of the Dodo.
People are too rigid and exacting about alignment at times! But I too miss it…evil swords that harm good people but can be wielded by power hungry people without good scruples…holy swords that light up for pure people and fizzle for morally questionable ones…

Regardless I think we also overcomplicate things.

When you label good acts “evil” so that your generally good character is “evil” I suspect alignment might not be that relevant or just confusing. I would think just dump it vs. changing conventional labels that most people accept.

But whatever! Have fun and make the character you like.

In the present case I would ditch the mental gymnastics and choose something more accurately descriptive or as is the trend dump alignment for the most part.

My last thought on it is that while alignment and fuzzy boundaries have caused too much debate, a lack of alignment is a weird cosmological thing given the planes and souls…

Remove ads