Zombie Horror Game [Full]

RobotRobotI

First Post
ZDay in Sunnybright IC Thread.

I'd like to run a game that's pretty much what the title of the thread says. Just a thought to would-be players right away - I've never run a PbP game before, but I believe I'm more than capable of pulling this off.

This is the basic outset of what I plan on running - and this will require very proactive players. Zombies, in this instance, are dumb, they are instinctual, they are reactive more than proactive. I need players who will keep this in mind.

The game will take place in the city of Sunnybright, a place that was home to lots of simple, God-fearing people. It's a small city, relatively out of the way, and generally cut off from much outside interaction. Most of the outsiders that the town sees are truckers riding through to reach more important destinations. Although the city is small and out of the way, it supports a population of roughly four thousand people.

This might not be the most realistic outset, but I think making it *overly* realistic would be kind of pointless.

I have yet to decide whether to use freeform or d20 modern for this - and input from would-be players on this would be appreciated.

What the players need to provide :
Maturity, first and foremost. This will be a serious game, and will generally *not* have any over-the-top gameplay. You're playing everyday people, not Ash from Army of Darkness.
Legibility. This is important, too, and I don't mean to sound elitist or snobbish with this. I think it's a fair request - nobody wants to go through the extra work of trying to decipher what you're saying.
Proactivity. This game is about the characters, not about the zombies. Play your character effectively, and keep in mind what's going on around him. When the players aren't under direct attack from the Zombies, they should be able to progress the story and development without input from the GM.
Input as to whether the system used should be d20 modern or nonexistent.

What the Characters need to provide:
A reason for being in Sunnybright. Sunnybright isn't exactly a tourist city, and it's very rare that someone ends up there without a reason. Being *from* Sunnyvale isn't an unacceptable option, and is actually kinda encouraged.
A reason for being outside of Sunnybright during the attack. The characters obviously weren't around when this spread, and they need an alibi. I can, of course, provide one if nobody at all has one of their own and don't mind being friends at the start with all of the other characters.
A basic idea of what the characters do - their job, pastimes, things like that.

This is a messy post, and I'll organize it in a bit, when I get another chance to sit down for a few minutes.

Edit :

Character Creation :

25 Point Buy, Level 2 characters to begin with. Max HP at level 1, roll your own HP every level thereafter. I'm going to trust you not to cheat on your equipment or your rolls - don't abuse the trust. Please use the attached character sheet [thanks to Mithran for posting it, and someone I don't know for making it.]

People with Characters:

TroyXavier - Alexander Taylor
Mithran - Maximillian 'Max' Schuler
Nephtys - Caitlin Roberts

People Interested:

LogicsFate

Attachments

• Modern character form.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Could be interesting... Modern over freeform and more on the town will be needed.

RobotRobotI said:
Being from Sunnyvale isn't an unacceptable option, and is actually kinda encouraged.

Possible double negative aside is being from Sunnyvale a positive or a negative? (sorry its an odd way of saying something and I would like to know for sure.)

RobotRobotI

First Post
Sorry for the confusion that created - it's encouraged. It gives the character a bit of knowledge of the area, and it gives a solid reason for the character to be from the area.

It would also allow me to say something like "You notice your father, ripped and torn, with most of his lower face missing, shambling towards you, emitting a low groan."

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
RobotRobotI said:
Sorry for the confusion that created - it's encouraged. It gives the character a bit of knowledge of the area, and it gives a solid reason for the character to be from the area.

Cool. :)

RobotRobotI said:
It would also allow me to say something like "You notice your father, ripped and torn, with most of his lower face missing, shambling towards you, emitting a low groan."

Sounds like you're encouraging large happy families also... ;) :lol:

Mithran

First Post
I think this could be kind of interesting. Oh and I will throw another vote in for d20.

When the players aren't under direct attack from the Zombies, they should be able to progress the story and development without input from the GM.

Could you explain what you mean by that statement?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Mithran said:
Could you explain what you mean by that statement?

He wants alot of dialog between or character and for us to be inquisitive and explore our surroundings.

“Well we need food... lets check out that supermarket.”

(even though he had made no mention of it befoore hand)

At least as I read it. :)

RobotRobotI

First Post
Shatterstone's got it pretty much exactly right. The story of this game will be more about the characters and their interactions with eachother than anything else. Of course, Zombies will play a big role - but the important stuff is in the characters.

Mithran

First Post
Ok I think I can do that. How many players are you going to look for before we start up just wondering?

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Are we talking any rules at all here, or completely freeform? This sounds like it might be fun to try out (never done anything like it before) but I'd want more of an idea of what it is before making any commitment.

Remove ads