• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Method of Dividing XP?

Which is the best method of dividing xp in a mixed party?

• Everyone gets the same xp (3.0 method)

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • Higher level characters get more xp (Grim Tales method)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Lower level characters get more xp (3.5 method)

Votes: 154 69.1%
  • Other (please post your method below)

Votes: 16 7.2%

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I am thinking of mixed groups: an extreme case might be a 20th level ranger accompanied by three 1st level hobbits. They encounter numerous wraiths; should the ranger get more xp, less xp or the same amount of xp as the halflings?

Agamon

Adventurer
It not only makes more sense that less expererienced PCs would gain more from an encounter than a more experienced, but it helps to lessen the gap, as well. I've used the 3.5 method since the FRCS came out.

Ibram

First Post
I generaly give bonus xp to those party members who are below party average (depending on the level it could be as low as 200 or as high as 500)

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Underdog!

I've always used the method of giving more Xp to the underdog. I don't see how any other method is logical. The lower level characters will learn more from the encounter whereas the higher level characters have probably encountered something similar.
Even more telling is the fact that the low level character will have been in an encounter that was too difficult for an equal number of characters of his level, while the higher level character was in a easy encounter for an equal number of characters of his level.
Most importantly this holds to the idea that Training makes you better, when travelling with someone who is noticibly superior skills the chances are they'll help you learn - teach you, and even if they don't you'll learn simply by observing them.

S'mon

Legend
3.5 is the only workable method IMO. I may give NPC cohorts the same or less XP than the PCs. 3.0 was terrible because it gave the Rgr-20 _more_ XP because he had 2 Rgr-1s with him.

Zappo

Explorer
Grim Tales gives more XP to higher level characters? Why? Is it explicitly done to maintain level differences indefinitely? This makes sense in certain narrative contexts, but I don't think it's desirable in the general case.

Lord Pruitt

Explorer
Xp rewards

Give the characters XP based on what they have done individually and / or as a group, with a slant to more XP given to those of lesser experience. It's the whole bell curve thing.

IronWolf

blank
More XP to the lower level characters would be the way I would go. As Agamon said, they stand more to learn from the encounter than the 20th level ranger.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
When we were playing 3.0 I had my BBEG go hunting trolls once in a while. He always brought a group of 3 orcs with him, who always died. All they did was set the party level low and get the BBEG more Exp. I even called them the Crimson Guard (because of their um, "crimson" shirts)...

Of course, now I could have the BBEG's kids go out hunting trolls, bringing three high level troll barbarians. He could climb a tree, use a sling and goes up a level almost every time.

-Tatsu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads