Do double reach weapons exist?

Shin Okada

Explorer
It is often mistaken, but Spiked Chain is not a double weapon.

There was an exotic weapon called Chain Lash in Savage Species. It is a weapon which can be used either as a reach weapon or a double weapon. But not both at the same time.

It is not a single weapon. But DMG has Kusari-Gama. Which is a light reach weapon. Thus can be usable with TWF without trouble (the description seems odd and does not much to the way it is actually used, though).

Silveras

First Post
Crothian said:
A spiked chain for instace can be a reach weapon, or a double weapon, but not at the same time.

Not in the core rules. The spiked chain in the Player's Handbook is a reach weapon, and is, in fact, the only two-handed Exotic melee weapon that is not a double weapon.

As I look over the weapons table in the Player's Handbook, I see no weapons that are both (at any time). It seems to be either/or, in the core.

Edit: And searching my database of items from just about all WotC books and some 3rd party books, I find no weapons that are both.

Last edited:

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Do you mean "Both a reach weapon and a double weapon" or do you mean "A weapon that gives you even more reach than a reach weapon" ??

Actually, it's moot, I don't know of either one. But I would be willing to allow the second one in my game if a player wanted to use it, maybe bring back the Awl Pike ! ! !

-Tatsu

Storyteller01

First Post
You can always use two whips! :)

Arms and Armor has s elction of weapons that can be used as either/or. I don't think there's one that can use both features at the same time. I'll have to double check (something about a weapon with two melon sized weights on a rope come to mind).

Last edited:

Laman Stahros

First Post
Tatsukun said:
Do you mean "Both a reach weapon and a double weapon" or do you mean "A weapon that gives you even more reach than a reach weapon" ??

Actually, it's moot, I don't know of either one. But I would be willing to allow the second one in my game if a player wanted to use it, maybe bring back the Awl Pike ! ! !

-Tatsu

Dragon #321 has stats for the Awl Pike (15' reach!!!).

Sil

First Post
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I was looking at a TWF, AoO reach build. I was looking for a weapon with the properties reach and double at the same time.

Two whips seem to get closest, but they are not light.

Are there any light reach weapons?

Remove ads