Dead Man's Chest - Who's got it, what's in it

Psion

Adventurer
... and more importantly, will it be worth my time given that:
a) I am runnig a planar-nautical game (you can sail to different worlds, etc.), and

b) I own:
  1. Seas of Blood
  2. Seafarer's Handbook
  3. Broadsides
  4. Pirates
  5. Salt & Sea Dogs
  6. Book of the Sea
  7. The Deep?

Pinotage

Explorer
Oooh, yes! Count me in as one eagerly awaiting this book! Psion, your campaign sounds very interesting. Care to share some ideas on how you handle interplanar travel via ships?

Pinotage

Chairman7w

First Post
I loooked through it the other day - and it does look pretty good. There's LOTS of cool encounter / event tables that I think would be the most useful. With all the great books you have, I doubt you would find it all that useful.

I am surprised however, that you don't have (IMHO) the best of the Sea-going books: Skull & Bones and Corsairs. They rock.

PS - you're inter-planar idea sounds VERY Cool!

Psion

Adventurer
Chairman7w said:
I am surprised however, that you don't have (IMHO) the best of the Sea-going books: Skull & Bones and Corsairs.

I have Skull & Bones, and its a great game, but seemed pretty exclusively focused on historical earth, and its class arrangement is fine for a stand-alone d20 game, but not what I want for my game.

But Corsairs is another matter. Isn't that by Adamant (who already got about 10 of my dollars last night. ;) )? What does that have to offer that the other books don't?

Insight

Adventurer
Psion said:
I have Skull & Bones, and its a great game, but seemed pretty exclusively focused on historical earth, and its class arrangement is fine for a stand-alone d20 game, but not what I want for my game.

But Corsairs is another matter. Isn't that by Adamant (who already got about 10 of my dollars last night. ;) )? What does that have to offer that the other books don't?

Corsair is a setting-independent treatment of the rules presented in Skull & Bones. If you already have Skull & Bones, you are going to find a lot of the same material in Corsair, although there is new material in Corsair that is not in Skull & Bones. If you are not planning to run a game in the Caribbean/Golden Era of Piracy (Earth), you are better off with Corsair as a ruleset for nautical encounters. Corsair does not have any character building rules, however, as far as I recall.

EDIT: I should probably point out that I am not entirely unbiased towards Skull & Bones and Corsair, as I am a freelancer for Adamant Entertainment. That said, I am perfectly willing to answer any and all questions about either book, or other supplementary materials, such as Buccaneers & Bokor.

Psion

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
Not to second-guess you, but wouldn't you want a planar encounter book more than a nautical book?

Alright, it this tail of this thread wagging the dog of this thread? ;)

I'm interested in whether anyone has any insight about Dead Man's Chest. What it brings to the table that the other books already mentioned might not.

If, however, you are aware of a book of planar encounters on the market that I am not, I am willing to listen. :cool:

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Psion said:
If, however, you are aware of a book of planar encounters on the market that I am not, I am willing to listen. :cool:

I don't think there are all that many planar books on the market. Hell, there are probably more sea-related books than planar books.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Psion said:

[imagel]http://www.rpgnow.com/products/product_3755.jpg[/imagel]
CORSAIR: The Definitive D20 Guide to Ships
takes the basic ship rules presented in Skull & Bones (which were themselves expanded from the Open Content rules presented in Mongoose's Seas of Blood), and expands them with the Advanced Ship Rules taken from our Buccaneers & Bokor e-zine, and a bunch of new material as well.

Included are 20 ship types, complete rules for sailing, ship repair and customization, naval combat, and boarding actions, guidelines for using the rules in earlier or later historical periods (ranging from ancients to Napoleonic) as well as in Fantasy settings, and a full-color set of deckplans of a Brigantine, gridded for D20 combat.

Remove ads