The Bold Adventures of Poins! OOC-Discussion (Recruiting Again! 4 Slots Available!)

Rhialto

First Post
I'm going to try, for the second time, a campaign in my little home-brew of Tur An Tiel. This campaign will begin in the Township of Poins of the Canton of Oran, in the Grand Pyrees. I'd like the characters to be a bunch of 1st level ones, native to the town, largely ignorant of the world around them--basically the classical small heroes thrust into big adventures...

Characters should be mostly human, with a few half-bloods and Nibelungen (Tur An Tiel's dwarves) allowable. Also there are no half-orcs in Tur An Tiel--no orcs for them to come from, actually--but there are ogres, who are this world's equivalent, and get the same stat block, and half-goblins, which I'll stat up shortly...

Anyway, four to six players wanted. I'll give more details about the setting shortly...

Last edited:

spidertrag

First Post
cool----I've followed Tur An Tiel since ENworld use to have a plot & places forum---i'd definately be interested in playing---a fighter or barbarian :D

Bloodcookie

Explorer
Nice work on the extensive setting/background, it's really well done.

I'd certainly be interested in joining this campaign; I have a concept for a Swashbuckler I've been thinking about, but I'm open to playing just about anything.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Bloodcookie said:
Nice work on the extensive setting/background, it's really well done.

I'd certainly be interested in joining this campaign; I have a concept for a Swashbuckler I've been thinking about, but I'm open to playing just about anything.

2 swashbucklers can increase the campy one liners ten fold. I would not mind switching from a tank to a 2nd swashbuckler, each one trying to out do the other.

Rhialto

First Post
Well, to give you some ideas for your characters' backgrounds...

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF POINS
The High Pyrees--a small 'nation' in some of the most mountainous terrain on the continent of Eldheim. A combination of rocky hills and deep, but fertile valleys, the Pyrees have always been uncomfortably situated between the Empire of Syra and Holy Kingdom of Archea, and from an early time in its history forced to ally with the former to avoid being absorbed into the latter. Given a special province status by the Emperors, the Pyrees pledge a nominal alleigiance and pay a few taxes to the Empire in return for some military protection, while maintaining a great deal of autonomy. Of course, this arrangement has had many difficulties over the years, with disagreements on both sides as to how much freedom the Cantons get, and how much right the Empire has to protect its interest, but still most people agree the Empire is a better master than the Holy Kingdom. Some are not so sure, especially as the majority of Pyreens are of Archean descent.

The Pyrees are made up of twelve Cantons, each of which is under the rule of an elected Reeve, and a council of Aldermen. Once a year, the Reeves meet to discuss business and politics in the Pyrees--the Canton this meeting takes place in is decided by lot at the end of the preceding meeting. The Reeves may also meet in case of emergencies and extraordinary occurrences. The Canton of Oran lies in the southwesternmost part of the Pyrees, and has often been used by Archean and Syran armies as a pathway into the other's state. The backwoods town of Poins has seen many such armies come and go through the province proper, and has rarely been touched by them. Aside from the sinister Azerai, who built a fortress on Blacktooth Peak, none have ever considered the town worth occupying--and even the Azerai rarely bothered the town proper. It is a small, unremarkable section of the Canton. Like most towns in the Pyrees, it elects a Mayor and a Sheriff, with local businessmen (well, practically anyone who shows up to a meeting, when you get down to it) belonging to the Small Council. Like all of the Pyreens, they are a hardy, sensible, independent folk, who dislike meddling into their affairs, and stirring up trouble.

And with that, tell me your ideas for characters.

jkason

First Post
If I'm counting right, you may already have enough people here, but I figure I'd try anyway. I'm pretty new to a lot of this (I have the 3rd ed handbook and that's about it), which is actually one of the appealing things about this adventure (starts at 1st level).

To that end, a character concept (I haven't seen stat rules, so I didn't mess with any of that):

Weel, Acolyte of Thraunus

Weel has always been good with his hands. By the time he was ten, he was already fixing more of the slapdash furnishings in his home than his own father (which might have something to do with the muscle Weel had a tendency to naturally put on, such that by ten he was also just short of being able to heft his gangly father across a room). Weel understood the kinds of things a person could touch, and the ways a body could shape and bind those things to make a life easier. He figured he'd be a carpenter, maybe a blacksmith if he got really lucky. Certainly never a priest, with their big abstract gods in charge of big abstract ideas. Weel wasn't good with abstract, so he figured he'd leave that up to those who were.

Then he signed on with a local road project. He knew the land, understood weights and balances and levels. It was his sort of thing. And on his very first day, he met Trac Esroh, the Thraunusian priest helping head the project. And Esroh, in turn, introduced Weel to Thraunus.

Here was a god who understood *things*. Walls and roads and doors, wood and stone and metal. Thraunus was a god that dealt in matters that spoke to Weel; he valued the concrete over the abstract. Weel, enthralled, begged Esroh to take him under his wing, and the priest (perhaps weighing his wiry frame agians the solid brick of a lad before him and not wanting to find out how well or poorly said young man / human wall might take disappointment) accepted.

Last month, Esroh declared that Weel had learned enough to leave his apprenticeship and begin to travel the roads of Thraunus. Last week, Weel saw Esroh off, and began to gather his own things. There's a world of buildings and roads, architecture and manufacture, waiting for Weel to tend to it in Thraunus' name.

[As Weel thinks in terms of architecture and building and the like, I thought it might be an interesting bit of character flavor if his spells sounded like mathematics (the language of building, after all).]

Last edited:

Remove ads