Need help with my new tattoo (Phase 4 - New pic 11.07.05)

reveal

Adventurer
I have 8 tattoos and have finally, after 9 years, figured out what I want next. I've never been one to get them because they're "cool." Anyway, I'm having a tough time deciding on an aspect on the new tat. Here's what I'm getting.

tat.jpg

This is going on my back with the clan name going across my shoulders and the badge taken up as much space as possible below it. The badge is just going to be a thick outline for now unti I decide if I want to fill it in and, if so, what to fill it in with. The letters will be solid black. Here's my problem: I don't know what font style to get the letters in.

I'm thinking perhaps Old English stlye, but I'm leaning more towards a handwriting/calligraphy style. Any suggestions? :)

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
What does it mean?

My last name is Law and my family emigrated from Scotland to the South (US) in the early 1700's. They were part of the clan MacLaren. "CREAG AN TUIRC" translates into "THE BOAR'S ROCK."

Clan MacLaren Society of North America said:
Clan MacLaren has occupied the lands in Balquhidder and Strothearn since the 12th century. The name derived from Labhran (Laurin) of Ardveche who was hereditary Abbot of Achtus in Balquhidder, SCT in the the 13th Century. The MacLarens (or MacLaurins) signed the Ragman's Roll of 1296. In the 14th Century they became Crown tenants without ownership of the land. Apart for Ferguson, MacGregor, and MacNab, the predominant clan was Clan MacLaren.

The MacLarens were a war-like clan with strong links to the Stewarts of Appin. The Clan fought at Flodden in 1513 and suffered severely at Culloden on the Prince's side in 1746. Sir Walter Scott visit Balquhidder on legal business which the describes in the Introduction to "Rob Roy": in "Redgauntlet" he describes the escape of MacLaren of Invernenty after Culloden.

Another branch of the Clan was connected with Tiree and included Professor Colin MacLaurin the distinguished mathematician. This branch is now dormant.

The heartland of the Clan MacLaren lies in and around the parish of Balquhidder, and the hill which slope north from Loch Voil and Loch Doine are the famous Braes of Balquhidder. The parish is eighteen miles long and seven miles wide. the area includes the west end of Loch Earn and most of Loch Lubnaig.

The ruined Kirk of the village is dated 1631 and is near the site of an even earlier church; the present building was built in 1855. Graves in the kirkyard dated from 1685 and includes that of Rob Roy MacGregor.

The ancient rallying place of the clan was Creag an Turic (The Boar's Rock) which is a small hill overlooking the Kirk, and can be approached by a fairly steep path.

der_kluge said:
How about getting a UPC symbol on the back of your neck?

Uh, no. :)

devilbat

First Post
How about getting a UPC symbol on the back of your neck?

Dude, you are jumping the gun. Tattoo laws clearly state that the two prerequisites for the UPC symbol is a Tazmanina Devil and a Superman logo, in that order.

Turanil

First Post
reveal said:
I'm thinking perhaps Old English stlye, but I'm leaning more towards a handwriting/calligraphy style. Any suggestions? :)
I rather suggest a Celtic-like font. Search over the Internet, doswnload at least half a dozen, and choose the one you prefer. I mean: Mac Laren comes from Scotland, so it has Celtic roots...

reveal

Adventurer
Turanil said:
I rather suggest a Celtic-like font. Search over the Internet, doswnload at least half a dozen, and choose the one you prefer. I mean: Mac Laren comes from Scotland, so it has Celtic roots...

I'll look into it. Since there are tons of fonts out there, do you have any specifically in mind?

Turanil

First Post
reveal said:
Here's what I have so far. Which ones do you guys like?
None of them! Use a true Celtic font, and an elegant one at that, since the tattoo is going to remain on your back for quite some time. Here are two acceptable fonts:

maclaren.jpg

I join a file with the fonts.

Attachments

• celticfonts.zip
    68.5 KB · Views: 80

Remove ads