The Rick James School of DMing

What do you think of the so-called "Rick James School of DMing"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
I recently coined a new term to describe DMs who were too wrapped up in their own personal power-trip to appreciate the needs of their players, specifically ...

The Rick James School of DMing: This is a gaming method that serves to glorify the personal vision of the DM at the expense of the PCs. It is an authoritarian roleplaying style that is excessively arbitrary in nature and is specifically designed to take away control from players (a.k.a. "railroading"). The message of this technique is very clear: the DM is God, and the players are there to bask in His glory or be destroyed at His whim.

I even made a poster to commemorate the addition of this new gem to the D&D geek lexicon (see attached).

Enjoy, and feel free to tell me what you think!

0212_rickjames.jpg

It's a celebration ....​

Attachments

• rick james-DM.doc
    231 KB · Views: 269

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
No way, ever. I like the PCs to choose their actions and suffer the consequences of them, good or bad. It is not my objective to destroy the PCs, but to give them the chance to rise as heroes or sink into depravity and become villains. The choice is theirs.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Okay ....

Frukathka said:
No way, ever. I like the PCs to choose their actions and suffer the consequences of them, good or bad. It is not my objective to destroy the PCs, but to give them the chance to rise as heroes or sink into depravity and become villains. The choice is theirs.
You do realize that this is a humor site, right? :heh:

FireLance

Legend
I recognize the need for the term, but I have no idea who Rick James is, so it doesn't have quite the same impact on me as "Munchkin". Perhaps an alternative term like, "Deus Master"?

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Rick James: Read More About Him

FireLance said:
I recognize the need for the term, but I have no idea who Rick James is ....
Rick James was a musical genius who heavily influenced the funk scene in the 70s and 80s. He was also well known for his excessive bravado and abusiveness towards others (typically during his drug escapades). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads