• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rick James School of DMing

What do you think of the so-called "Rick James School of DMing"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Another Rick James fun fact: the first band he was in that was signed to a record deal included Neil Young.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Rick James Speaks!

BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
I have a serious problem with #9. Are you stating that any DM using a non WotC product is an ego aggrandizing, railroader with bad hair?
Not precisely; I am not criticizing all independent companies. However, it is my professional opinion that many independents produce roleplaying materials that are extremely unbalanced; Bastion Press and Mongoose Publications are just two of the biggest culprits. ;)

To clarify: the main point of commandment #9 is that an unreasonable DM reserves the right to screw over his/her players with non-standard/unbalanced/fiat material. :)

The Thayan Menace said:
Not precisely; I am not criticizing all independent companies. However, it is my professional opinion that many independents produce roleplaying materials that are extremely unbalanced; Bastion Press and Mongoose Publications are just two of the biggest culprits.
What do you mean by "professional opinion?" You'd probably get a better consensus around official FR material being unbalanced and overpowered than independent d20 publishers in general.

I don't think anyone's arguing that there's some bad third party publications out there, but the implication that they're worse than WotC isn't widely accepted by ENWorlders in general, it seems.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Many Third-Party Publications are Highly Questionable

Joshua Dyal said:
What do you mean by "professional opinion?" You'd probably get a better consensus around official FR material being unbalanced and overpowered than independent d20 publishers in general.

I don't think anyone's arguing that there's some bad third party publications out there, but the implication that they're worse than WotC isn't widely accepted by ENWorlders in general, it seems.
Actually, there a lot of bad third-party publications out there. :lol:

3.5 FRCS materials fall within WotC guidleines and are acceptable, so long as they are not combined with region-specific materials from other campaign worlds.

Also, regarding the alleged superiority of third-party publications to WotC: if a gamer honestly believes that companies like Bastion and Mongoose produce better products, then they are certainly welcome to their opinion.

Personally, I think these people are nuts, but to each his own. ;)

Come to think of it, your suggestion that ENworlders prefer third-party publications to WotC products (such as the FRCS) is worthy of another poll. You should start one. :)

Last edited:

I'm not alleging that third party products are better than WotC products (necessarily, although some of them are), merely that ENWorld in general is famous for being friendly to d20 publishers. If your stance is that in general d20 products aren't as good as WotC, and that FR are totally balanced and great to use in any setting, then you'll probably find that few people agree with you. Few vocal people, anyway.

I've never heard anything specifically about Bastion being unbalanced, and I'll agree that Mongoose has a "hit and miss" record. But again, I'm not sure if you're implying that those two companies write unbalanced mechanics, or d20 publishers in general.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Oh Really?

Joshua Dyal said:
If your stance is that in general d20 products aren't as good as WotC, and that FR are totally balanced and great to use in any setting, then you'll probably find that few people agree with you. Few vocal people, anyway.
Care to put that to the test? Start a poll .... I'm curious. :)

Also, please don't misquote me. I never said that FRCS material is great to use in any setting. I only said that the FRCS was a balanced setting. ;)

The Thayan Menace said:
3.5 FRCS materials fall within WotC guidleines and are acceptable, so long as they are not combined with region-specific materials from other campaign worlds.

Last edited:

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Take it to the People!

Joshua Dyal said:
I'm not alleging that third party products are better than WotC products (necessarily, although some of them are), merely that ENWorld in general is famous for being friendly to d20 publishers.
True, but not everyone here is a shill for an independent company. People can make up their own minds, and I'm willing to bet there are a lot of other gamers out there who feel that many non-WotC d20 products are poorly designed.

Joshua Dyal said:
I've never heard anything specifically about Bastion being unbalanced, and I'll agree that Mongoose has a "hit and miss" record. But again, I'm not sure if you're implying that those two companies write unbalanced mechanics, or d20 publishers in general.
As I already mentioned earlier, many d20 publishers write unbalanced and/or error-riddled material; Bastion and Mongoose are just two of the worst offenders.

Last edited:

The Thayan Menace

First Post
It's Definitely a Celebration!

Anyways, I digress. After all, this thread is about the Rick James School of DMing ....

JamesRicklg.jpg

"No your honor ... I did not torture that player with a crack pipe."​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads