D&D 5E [Let's Read] The Adventurer's Guide to the Bible

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
I already covered several of these bits in the review, but since it's quite the number of posts I can answer it here. Basically divine magic, or magic that would be granted by a deity or greater power comes from the Abrahamic deity. Azrael's Guide to the Apocalypse made it so that warlocks can make pacts with angels. There are of course wicked mages who gain powers from demons in both adventures, but as they're in the NPC side of things they don't really map to the PC classes.

The book doesn't say which domains are particularly associated with God, like you would with certain deities in Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms. But since God in Christian theology is omnipotent I can't see why He can't as easily grant things like Tempest as He can Life or Light.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's just that, in the books, different gods are associated with different domains. For example, in the section under "Peoples and Cultures", the god "Jupiter (Zeus)" has the domains of "Sky, Thunder, Lightning" (p. 7). This was confusing to me, since I thought all divine magic domains essentially came from the monotheistic Deity. Why list the domains of individual gods, if they didn't actually grant any domain spells? It just confused me.

Libertad

Hero
Keep in mind that what you listed aren't explicit Cleric subclasses but rather areas of influence for the deities. The People and Cultures section is listing well, common cultural aspects of the more prominent groups in the setting. They don't grant spells because, in the context of the setting, they don't exist. But their lack of existence doesn't necessarily ignoring their entry, for Roman influence on Jewish and early Christian history cannot be underestimated, and it would be an oversight to not discuss how their religious practices clashed with the Abrahamic faiths.

I can understand your confusion as such an entry in other settings would more or less be an indication of "here's some ideas of appropriate Cleric subclasses for these gods." Instead, think of it more as "religion is an important aspect in this Biblical Fantasy setting, so here's a brief listing of the religious traditions of pagan faiths as a contrast."

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The Path of the Nazirite Barbarian represents those who made an oath to God, granting them legendary strength. In exchange, they must defend the innocent and refrain from cutting their hair or drinking alcohol (those who break it lose their abilities for 24 hours).
Just want to say, I also lose my powers for 24 hours after drinking...

Aphrodite’s Touch is the lair of Naamah the Seducer, Archdemon of Lust. Located in the City of Thebes, she has used her influence to make a sex cult claiming to honor the old gods, and uses a temple converted to a brothel to grow strong off of sin. PCs can meet up with the angel Raphael in the city, where he can serve as backup in bringing down the archdemon.
...this looks like an excellent place to end a campaign...

...and this is review work of Biblical proportions, @Libertad !

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
Keep in mind that what you listed aren't explicit Cleric subclasses but rather areas of influence for the deities. The People and Cultures section is listing well, common cultural aspects of the more prominent groups in the setting. They don't grant spells because, in the context of the setting, they don't exist. But their lack of existence doesn't necessarily ignoring their entry, for Roman influence on Jewish and early Christian history cannot be underestimated, and it would be an oversight to not discuss how their religious practices clashed with the Abrahamic faiths.

I can understand your confusion as such an entry in other settings would more or less be an indication of "here's some ideas of appropriate Cleric subclasses for these gods." Instead, think of it more as "religion is an important aspect in this Biblical Fantasy setting, so here's a brief listing of the religious traditions of pagan faiths as a contrast."
Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Remove ads