Testing the Waters (mid to high level gestalt)

gabrion

First Post
I'm thinking about running a game on here with a small party of gestalt characters, but I wanted to see if people on here are even interested in gestalt games before I start an official recruiting thread. The details will be worked out if there is interest, but right now I'm guessing the game will look something like:

• 12th or 15th level (could be higher if people want that)
  • 3 (or possibly 4) players
  • Homebrew or FR (probably the latter cause I usually just use my homebrew for my RL game)
  • High fantasy good guys type story (or ruthless mercenaries or whatever...I'm pretty open)
  • Generally high powerd game (it will be gestalt after all), which means players will need to have a lot of discipline

So the basic idea here is to see if people out there would be interested in a gestalt game with a just a few players.

Last edited:

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Sounds interesting... I'm in.
I will see if I can come up with some kind of Rouge knife thrower build.

Though just as a suggestion, how about making it an epic campaign?

-Blood

gabrion

First Post
Bloodweaver1 said:
Though just as a suggestion, how about making it an epic campaign?

-Blood

I thought about that and I'm not altogehter oppossed to it, but I was hoping to use this in part to playtest some of the material that will be in my RL game when the characters get a few more levels.

The other issue is complexity. I love spending hours creating an epic character as much as the next guy, but gestalt epic tends to scramble my brain (and I've only done that once for an arena). If other people are interested though I won't discount the idea.

Shayuri

First Post
Gestalt, eh? Interesting. Well, given that I'll probably never get another chance to try those rules, sure, I'm interested. :)

There's a crotchety old druid concept I've been wanting to try for ages that needs a high power game to do him justice...perhaps I'll bring him in.

gabrion

First Post
Shayuri said:
Gestalt, eh? Interesting. Well, given that I'll probably never get another chance to try those rules, sure, I'm interested. :)

There's a crotchety old druid concept I've been wanting to try for ages that needs a high power game to do him justice...perhaps I'll bring him in.

Ummm...druids are always tasty DM food...

By crotchety old druid I hope you mean a venerable jermlaine or something like that. :)

Scotley

Hero
Gestalt can be a lot of fun. I'd be interested. Most folks here limit players to one full spell casting class and many DM's either don't allow prestige classes or limit you to only one.

Ferrix

Explorer
Cool!

I'd love to play in this :)

Most folks limit gestalt, but I think what could be interesting is giving it more free reign than most games.

Limiting it to one full-caster class can be a good idea, but it cuts down on some really cool concepts (a true necro type, a psion-wizard or wizard-sorcerer).

One of the things I find more interesting with gestalt than anything else is when the characters still have party roles and aren't all spellcasters.

Stereotypical Roles with gestalt options:
Uber-Magic User (psion-wizard, wizard-sorcerer, bard-wizard, etc.)
Uber-Cleric (paladin-cleric, cleric-bard)
Uber-Fighter (ranger-fighter, fighter-barbarian, fighter-hexblade, fighter-monk)
Uber-Skill-User (rogue-monk, rogue-ranger, etc.)

Last edited:

gabrion

First Post
Ok, it looks like there will be enough interest, so I will take some time to set up an actual recruiting thread. This will probably take a couple of days, and I encourage you guys to continue discussion here in the mean time. I will be paying attention to your guys' input, so anything that comes to mind.

@Scotly-I'll cover that stuff in more detail in the recruiting thread, but I will probably be playing with the rule that dual threat PrCs are not allowed (MT, Arcane Trickster, etc.) and other limitations will be quite lax. Two full casting classes will most likely be permitted and taking two PrCs will probably be allowed as well.

Ferrix

Explorer
FR or Eberron could be really fun.

One thing I'd generally restrict things to is no level adjustment races, it can get too complicated with the balancing of that.

I've had a couple of gestalt ideas that have never really gotten a chance to be played:

a) A vassal of bahamut (paladin-cleric, till he qualifies for vassal, then vassal-cleric).

b) A true-necro type (cleric of death, necromancer type).

c) A gnome trickster (illusionist-rogue, could go well in FR)

d) A halfling swashbuckler type (uses broad-bladed shortswords, defense focused)

e) A warrior against magic (dwarf anti-magic type, hexblade, monk, occult slayerish)

f) The ultimate warrior (fighter-psychic warrior)

Remove ads