• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Testing the Waters (mid to high level gestalt)

Erudite

First Post
Sound like a great idea. Sign me up! No one ever wants to run gestalt for me, so this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I like the idea of a Ranger/Wizard, myself. Possibly an Urban Ranger/Illusionist from the Plane of Shadow.

Someone

Adventurer
I´d like to join, too. There are so many gestalt combinations that I can´t think on just one of them, and that´s just mixin two core classes. Adding prestige classes and more that just two base classes make the characters stupidly complicated, specially for the DM. If you want to keep things reasonably manageable, I suggest some kind of limit on that, specially with medium-high level characters.

Prof Yeti

First Post
Erudite said:
Sound like a great idea. Sign me up! No one ever wants to run gestalt for me, so this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I like the idea of a Ranger/Wizard, myself. Possibly an Urban Ranger/Illusionist from the Plane of Shadow.

Bummer! You beat to the punch with the Ranger/Wizard. I could go Fighter/Wizard to give him a little boost. Or maybe a Monk/Sorcerer? But then the Cleric (Cloistered if possible)/Wizard (or Sorcerer) sounds good as well (if permited).

So many combos, so little time. :D

Shayuri

First Post
DM food?!

Eee!

No no, the idea I'm playing with is a druid/sorceror...he's either aged, or poses as being aged, depending on level and preferred starting ages. He goes by a lot of names, but the one any druid would know is Grandfather. Bearded fellow. Wears a simple robe, carries a staff...devoid of affectation otherwise. Has a very cosmopolitan view of Nature and very little patience for foolishness (hence the 'crotchety' description).

Other ideas are a druid/ranger archerette who rides a dire wolf into BATTLE, and a kobold (good aligned) cleric of Bahamut/Dragon Disciple. Granted, that's a bit out there. :)

Anyway, I'd love to play. My imagination runs wild, so shoot down all the concepts you think won't work...I'll make more.

Erudite

First Post
One idea I have played around with is allowing prestige classes like Mystic Theurge, but limit the 'other side' of the gestalt to classes that do not allow casting. Thus Fighter 20 and Cleric 5/Wiz5/Mystic Theurge 10 would not be too abusive.

Another idea is that one 'side' of the gestalt is limited to the race's favored class. For humans and half-elves, this means anything.

I personally prefer FR as a world, so I would be happy if we could play in the Realms.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
I'm in, I've run gestalt twice and played once and they rocked. :D

Maybe a monk/favored soul or a fighter/wizard with touch spells or a rogue/mystic theurge...

gabrion

First Post
Great to see all the interest and character concepts. Like most of you when I play gestalt I find the fun/challenge to be that there are so many options it's hard to pin down just one (well actually two). That said, I like the creative ideas that have been put out there so far.

As for the rules I will use to govern the gestalt progressions, I'm still working on them (I'm currently deciding what to do with races with LA), but they will be posted when I open the actual recruiting thread (should be within 24 hours). Right now I'm off to see a presentation by John Bolton though (which should be interesting to say the least), so I don't have time to finish up all the details.

If you want to start getting your characters ready to submit though, I can tell you that I will be looking for...

1) Full class progression (including your projection from our starting level onward to 20th)
2) History/Background
3) Appearance
4) Description of the character's utility as you image them in the game (should include something like "pick me cause I'm really good at X")

Obviously The history part can just be a rough draft since I haven't said where we will be playing, but you can use campaign specific stuff if you want (like locations in the realms). This is mostly going to be used as a writing sample.

Lastly, you can post ideas here, but you may be better off just waiting till I make the actual recruiting thread. If you do post here, be sure to move your idea when I post the new thread (I will be sure to link it).

Erudite

First Post
La

There was a big discussion of how LA should fit into a gestalt build. No one consensus, but there was a very strong argument against applying LA to only one 'side' of the gestalt. I would second this argument; I'd rather see LA applied to the whole character, and think mechanically it is the most sound.

Ferrix

Explorer
Erudite said:
There was a big discussion of how LA should fit into a gestalt build. No one consensus, but there was a very strong argument against applying LA to only one 'side' of the gestalt. I would second this argument; I'd rather see LA applied to the whole character, and think mechanically it is the most sound.

However, it is then almost useless as LA are often already bloated to begin with, gestalt levels count for a great deal more than normal levels.

I would halve the LA and round up (LA +1 stays at +1).

I'd personally just disallow LA for a gestalt game, too much complexity.

Erudite

First Post
The solution could also be to allow LA buy-off. Certainly it makes sense in gestalt, where a single level can count for so much, that a puny +2 LA really does nothing by level 15.

Remove ads