• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Way to Challenge this Sorcadin, without high level spells

ECMO3

Hero
It’s worth noting that a single feat can net the shield spell, along with two cantrips. So it isn’t even necessary to multi-class.

Yeah but it is only castable once a day and a feat is a high price to pay when you can cast it either twice a day or once a short rest with a 1-level multiclass.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
I don't see a big issue with Silvery Barbs. It is not nearly as powerful or game-breaking as other 1st level spells, Shield in particular.

I will say it is disruptive to play, and for that reason I don't see it much any more.
I was partly joking, but also partly not. I've never banned Silvery Barbs but man I have considered it.

I was going to describe the big issue with Silvery Barbs but you nailed it, it is just so disruptive. As the DM you see the roll, start narrating result, only to get thrown off completely because some player yells out Silvery Barbs!! as you are already describing the result. Lucky feat has the same problem, although at least often times the player calls that out before the DM starts narrating since it is their roll they are reacting to.

Horwath

Legend
I was partly joking, but also partly not. I've never banned Silvery Barbs but man I have considered it.

I was going to describe the big issue with Silvery Barbs but you nailed it, it is just so disruptive. As the DM you see the roll, start narrating result, only to get thrown off completely because some player yells out Silvery Barbs!! as you are already describing the result. Lucky feat has the same problem, although at least often times the player calls that out before the DM starts narrating since it is their roll they are reacting to.
then just dont describe anything until the "reaction window" has closed.
You know that Shield, Absorb elements and Silvery barbs are part of the game and you must count on them being used.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
You know that Shield, Absorb elements and Silvery barbs are part of the game and you must count on them being used.
Yeah that would slow the game down to a crawl and really break the flow if we were constantly pausing for "reaction windows", I'd rather just deal with it being annoying until 5.5e launches and Silvery Barbs is gone

TheSword

Legend
Yeah but it is only castable once a day and a feat is a high price to pay when you can cast it either twice a day or once a short rest with a 1-level multiclass.
Ah yes, they changed magic initiate for the playtest. We’ve been on playtest rules for a while. Only a small change but a quality of life one.

TheSword

Legend
Nothing is part of the game world if it’s agreed it isn’t.

Though I prefer a soft cap. Don’t abuse shield and I won’t ban it, or ask you to retire your character.

Silvery barbs is just too good. Luckily most people haven’t read Strixhaven.

Horwath

Legend
Nothing is part of the game world if it’s agreed it isn’t.

Though I prefer a soft cap. Don’t abuse shield and I won’t ban it, or ask you to retire your character.

Silvery barbs is just too good. Luckily most people haven’t read Strixhaven.
how do you not abuse shield?

you either use it or not use it.

you can chose to not have it prepared ofc, but if you do, why would you not use it?
Unless you have better reaction to use?

and silvery barbs is fine by mechanics itself, it just slows down the game with extra rerolls.
and just ditch the extra feature of advantage on next roll on some target. not really big part of the spell and decision on who gets it additionally slows down the game.

Maybe better would be -5 to d20 roll instead of re-roll, similar to shield but works on all d20 rolls.

Horwath

Legend
Yeah that would slow the game down to a crawl and really break the flow if we were constantly pausing for "reaction windows", I'd rather just deal with it being annoying until 5.5e launches and Silvery Barbs is gone
then what to say, tell the players to think faster??

all reactions pause play, as they need decision to be made after certain d20 or damage roll or movement for AoO.

also, unless you ban it, Silvery barbs stays in 5.5e in current form unless reprinted in 2024.

TheSword

Legend
how do you not abuse shield?

you either use it or not use it.

you can chose to not have it prepared ofc, but if you do, why would you not use it?
Unless you have better reaction to use?

and silvery barbs is fine by mechanics itself, it just slows down the game with extra rerolls.
and just ditch the extra feature of advantage on next roll on some target. not really big part of the spell and decision on who gets it additionally slows down the game.

Maybe better would be -5 to d20 roll instead of re-roll, similar to shield but works on all d20 rolls.
When it’s used on a character with AC 15-16 like it was originally intended for.

Remove ads