Base Class: Scholarly Warrior

brehobit

Explorer
Hello all,
I've been thinking about the lack of a "smart" warrior in D&D, so I thought I'd develop a new base class. I'd appreciate any comments you might have. The pdf file is attached. (Can anyone actually open this? The version on my computer works just fine, but I can't view the file from here...)

Attachments

• SCHOLARLY WARRIOR.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 414

evolved

First Post
i don't think the bonus feats should be restricted away from physical feats make i read that it has to have an int requirement or require a feat thta does so alot of the expertise line has physical and mental requirements and i would use ref as the good save, due to the ability to recognize trouble brewing and get the hell out but that is a minor detail

aceofgames

First Post
I like the class, but I think a flavor adjustment, at least for my campaign.
I'm changing for campaign with a lawful restriction, since I see them having to be dedicated to studing (for instance, the restriction in the class for only using extra skill points for certain skills, would make more sense in a lawful class, since its akin to an oath or a dedication of study).

Of course, this my style, and I think it would balance the class out a bit, as well make more sense flavorwise in my campaign.
Great idea though.

Last edited:

Eloi

First Post
Very nice class. The extra skill points allow for a lot of dabbling, new languages and skills, and a lot more well-roundedness than usual. It did used to seem a bit odd to me that the people who knew the most skills and had useful breadth of knowledge always had a sneak attack bonus - finally, a Fighter with a Brain (and no, not in a jar in his backpack.)

brehobit

Explorer
Thanks all! I spent a long time on it, so I'm really happy people like it.

On the feat restriction: I agree, I just wanted to avoid the big power-attack and other "brute" feats. Maybe just remove STR based?

The lawful thing I spent some time thinking about. I think the restriction would be fine. Or at least non-chaos. The problem was that I was thinking about a number of French revolutionaries that would seem to fit this mold. I'd have to call them CG....

-edit- Oh, I was wondering if anyone had any balance concerns? -edit-

Eloi

First Post
This would be an intense base class for a high-point buy Epic campaign, or one in which a character could take the Half-Celestial template.

Would you like to include the progression for 21+ level advancement? (Yes, Epic goodness.)

brehobit

Explorer
Eloi said:
This would be an intense base class for a high-point buy Epic campaign, or one in which a character could take the Half-Celestial template.

Would you like to include the progression for 21+ level advancement? (Yes, Epic goodness.)
I'm afraid I don't know enough about epic rules to have a clue where to start. I'm willing to ask for help thought ;)

Remove ads