• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Base Class: Scholarly Warrior

brehobit

Explorer
Hello all,
I've been thinking about the lack of a "smart" warrior in D&D, so I thought I'd develop a new base class. I'd appreciate any comments you might have. The pdf file is attached. (Can anyone actually open this? The version on my computer works just fine, but I can't view the file from here...)

Attachments

• SCHOLARLY WARRIOR.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 415

evolved

First Post
i don't think the bonus feats should be restricted away from physical feats make i read that it has to have an int requirement or require a feat thta does so alot of the expertise line has physical and mental requirements and i would use ref as the good save, due to the ability to recognize trouble brewing and get the hell out but that is a minor detail

aceofgames

First Post
I like the class, but I think a flavor adjustment, at least for my campaign.
I'm changing for campaign with a lawful restriction, since I see them having to be dedicated to studing (for instance, the restriction in the class for only using extra skill points for certain skills, would make more sense in a lawful class, since its akin to an oath or a dedication of study).

Of course, this my style, and I think it would balance the class out a bit, as well make more sense flavorwise in my campaign.
Great idea though.

Last edited:

Eloi

First Post
Very nice class. The extra skill points allow for a lot of dabbling, new languages and skills, and a lot more well-roundedness than usual. It did used to seem a bit odd to me that the people who knew the most skills and had useful breadth of knowledge always had a sneak attack bonus - finally, a Fighter with a Brain (and no, not in a jar in his backpack.)

brehobit

Explorer
Thanks all! I spent a long time on it, so I'm really happy people like it.

On the feat restriction: I agree, I just wanted to avoid the big power-attack and other "brute" feats. Maybe just remove STR based?

The lawful thing I spent some time thinking about. I think the restriction would be fine. Or at least non-chaos. The problem was that I was thinking about a number of French revolutionaries that would seem to fit this mold. I'd have to call them CG....

-edit- Oh, I was wondering if anyone had any balance concerns? -edit-

Eloi

First Post
This would be an intense base class for a high-point buy Epic campaign, or one in which a character could take the Half-Celestial template.

Would you like to include the progression for 21+ level advancement? (Yes, Epic goodness.)

brehobit

Explorer
Eloi said:
This would be an intense base class for a high-point buy Epic campaign, or one in which a character could take the Half-Celestial template.

Would you like to include the progression for 21+ level advancement? (Yes, Epic goodness.)
I'm afraid I don't know enough about epic rules to have a clue where to start. I'm willing to ask for help thought ;)

Remove ads