Dragon #339

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Mine hasn't come yet, and I'm betting it's the same for everyone else. If no one else posts an in-depth analysis of what it has when it does come though, I will.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Mine usually comes around the same time it appears on newstands. Since that isn't until the 21st, I have another week before it comes in for me. :(

Unless I catch a lucky break from the mail carriers.

Pure Puppet

First Post
Got mine yesterday. Um.

The first article is for Dark Sun. The Athasian Dragon Epic Prestige class. Dual-class Psionic/Arcanist class, transforms into a dragon. Two Epic feats for the class.

Spelljammer article is descriptions of Giff, Insectare, and Scro, with side bars describing typical NPC - very basic, just levels and CR.

Planescape is about dead factions. The Believers of the Source get a magic item and two feats. The Communals get another magic item and three feats. Expansionists get five magic items - a pair of bracers, an amulet, goggles, magic armor, and an intelligent longsword. There's a pair of prestige classes for the Incanterium and the Mercykillers, and the Sign of One get three magic items and a minor artifact.

The next article is entitled Creature Catalog Four: Campaign Classics. From Greyhawk, we have the Animus Template, the Blindheim - tiny frog-men that worship Slaads - the Greyhawk Dragon, with a sample Young Adult stat block, the Suel Lich - an incorporeal undead that possess living bodies, and the xvart. From Ravenloft, we have the carrionette, the death's head tree, the goblyn, and the Maggot Golem. From Mystara, we have Dusanu, an undead-like plant, the Nagpa template, and the Phanaton, which seems to be the union of a raccoon and a flying monkey.

Ecology of the Draconian - the history of the draconian race, some explanations of their death throes, and a sample stat block for a Baaz draconian.

The current Wormfood contains an artifact called the Fountain of Fortune's Folly, belonging to the archmage Manzorian. It's a magical fountain with two cups - one ivory, one rusted tin. Drinking from the cups grants you a random blessing and a random bane - ivory cup lets you choose your blessing, tin lets you choose your bane. Multiple follies, but not multiple blessings.

Spellcraft contains five arcane spells created by the director of an insane asylum in Ravenloft. Two Necromancy spells, one Transmutation, and two Evocation, one with the [Electricity] descriptor. The other Evocation spell can also be used by druids.

Sage Advice deals with common questions about the Eberron setting - mostly the ones about warforged.

The format for Class Acts has changed - it's now divided into four two-page sections - Adventurer, Arcane, Divine, Warrior, mimicking the Complete series. Adventurer has various Ranger archetypes and a small selection of feats to go with them. Arcane has a discussion of the various battlefield control spells available to the wizard and some tips on using them. Divine has a variant druid class that would go quite well in a urban setting - the Sidhe Scholar, one who seeks to uncover the lost secrets of the druids by learning from fey. Finally, Warrior deals with Hexblades, introducing a new variety of feats that interact with a Hexblades' Curse ability. The feats are known as Hex feats. There are also three weapon and armor properties that can only be used by Hexblades - one armor, two weapon

After that, it's just comics. Only thing of note there is Order Of The Stick - it's just a four-panel comic at the end of the Creature Catalog article. Last month's full-page comic was apparently a one time thing, although I hope it isn't.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sweet! Dragon, I'm happy, your souls are spared for another month. ;)

Pure Puppet said:
The first article is for Dark Sun. The Athasian Dragon Epic Prestige class. Dual-class Psionic/Arcanist class, transforms into a dragon. Two Epic feats for the class.

It'll be an interesting read, even if I've rarely done more than skim the surface of anything dealing with Athas.

Planescape is about dead factions. The Believers of the Source get a magic item and two feats. The Communals get another magic item and three feats. Expansionists get five magic items - a pair of bracers, an amulet, goggles, magic armor, and an intelligent longsword. There's a pair of prestige classes for the Incanterium and the Mercykillers, and the Sign of One get three magic items and a minor artifact.

Communals, Expansionists, and the Incanterium make me a happy fiend.
shemmysmile.gif

I'm very happy with this, and I'lm curious to see how they approached the Communals and Expansionists, especially if they mention anything regarding Vartus Timlin. *grin*

wedgeski

Adventurer
Pure Puppet said:
Ecology of the Draconian - the history of the draconian race, some explanations of their death throes, and a sample stat block for a Baaz draconian.
Who wrote this article, out of interest?

No Name

First Post
I have mixed feelings about the Class Acts format change. I'm glad they're adding stuff for different classes, but leaving out alternate options for each core class is going to suck.

Class Acts was the first thing I'd read in Dragon. I will admit that there have been few options from this section that I have/would use in a campaign. None the less, it's my favorite section.

I am easy going though. I'll give the changes a few issues before I cry foul and complain.

Morrow

First Post
Pure Puppet said:
From Mystara, we have Dusanu, an undead-like plant, the Nagpa template, and the Phanaton, which seems to be the union of a raccoon and a flying monkey.

Both the Nagpa and the Phanaton? Be still my Mystara-loving heart! Unfortunately I can't place either the Dusanu or the undead plant thing. The MML will probably revoke my membership card.

Morrow

devilbat

First Post
No Ravenloft? I guess that effectively kills any hope of the brand being resurrected. One would think that if WotC were playing with the idea of bringing it back, they would have convinced Paizo to do something on the setting for the classics issue.

Remove ads