• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ptolus] The Power Level of NPCs

mmu1

First Post
I think that, by and large, Ptolus is a great setting - but has anyone else been surprised by the power level of the people inhabiting the campaign world?

It's got 2nd level warrior city guards and low-ranking members of the thieves' guild running around built on 32 points or so - which core D&D defines as suitable for heroic characters - and things skyrocket from there.

Most notable characters are at least in the 50 point range, and anyone truly important might well be pushing 60. (not counting magic items or ability points gotten for going up in level, obviously) Natural key ability scores of 18-20 are ubiquitous, multiple scores of 18+ not uncommon.

Now, while I'm not particularly greedy when it comes to ability scores - I like high stats as much as anyone, but I've happily played in many campaigns featuring 28 or 32 point characters (even though my personal ideal is more like 36-40) my response to anyone who was running Ptolus and told me to make a "standard" 25 point buy character would probably be "You've got to be kidding."

Not that I think PCs should automatically have stats as good as or better as the most influential figures in the city - but I don't think expecting your character to have more natural ability than a city guardsman or a gang enforcer is an unusal thing, right?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
PCs aren't capable of taking on a 2nd level warrior guard? Anything lower would be implausible, considering they're standing atop a big dungeon full of stuff that doesn't really care to stay underground.

And how do you define "low-ranking" member of the thieves guild? Named characters in the Big Book tend to be a little higher up the ladder than that, IMO.

darthkilmor

First Post
The latest bit of Ptolus I was reading on the train this morning talks about how being a city setting, the players can heal themselves easily at any temple so suggests that you up the EL a bit since the PC's are likely to only have one fight a day versus a standard of 4 or so. Maybe thats a part of it.

Also though, wouldnt you Want the city guards to be tough? If they sucked they would have all been killed a long time ago. And besides, the NPC's probably Are notable because they're really good, so they should have stats to reflect that.

Thomas Percy

First Post
Ptolus is deadly sometimes, but what you have expected from Monte? : he knows how to use D&D system)

eg. enemy for PCs on level 3:
hp 60, +9 melee (2d8+10, axe) and +8 (1d8+3, bite) plus smite good plus bull's strength and bear's endurance at will; SR14; DR 5/magic, cleave, power attack.
It's supposed he is supported by several CR1 monsters, and 2 similiar to the above mentioned munchs.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
lukelightning said:
I don't mind tough/optimized opponents, but random rank-and-file NPCs shouldn't have better stats than PCs.
The only thing I see for concern in the original post is 32 point buy for guard NPCs. I assume that commoners and experts (those that are statted out) are lower point buys than that.

Even so, it's a 2nd level warrior. They'd need a lot more points than that to be a threat to a level 2 player character.

Odhanan

Adventurer
The power level of Ptolus is variable. You can find everything you need to fit any party's power level. Hence, I'm perfectly fine with the Ptolus NPCs.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Anything lower would be implausible, considering they're standing atop a big dungeon full of stuff that doesn't really care to stay underground.

I disagree. It makes sense the guards would be higher level. It doesn't make sense that their stats would inflate. Either they're taking steroids (!) or all the lower statted guards got killed off, which means a high mortality rate. So high they'd beg higher level adventurers to work as their special units.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I disagree. It makes sense the guards would be higher level. It doesn't make sense that their stats would inflate. Either they're taking steroids (!) or all the lower statted guards got killed off, which means a high mortality rate.
Or it means they have a large supply of Delvers and such in the city and can afford (and need) to hire only the most capable.

So high they'd beg higher level adventurers to work as their special units.
Which they, in fact, do.

mmu1

First Post
Well, let me see what some of the non-exceptional NPCs (generic members of some city organizations) are statted out like:

Typical Thieves' Guild Member (4th level Halfling Rogue): 37 points

Typical member of the largest gang in the city (Level 2 warrior/rogue): 29

Typical Shuul (techno and gun nuts) Agent (Fighter 1 / Expert 2): 21

Typical Shuul Technologist: (Expert 3): 33

Typical 1st Circle Sister of Silence (an all-female law-and-order organization) (Monk 3): 33

Typical Sorn (mercenary spellcasters) Sorcerer (Sorcerer 4): 38

Typical Commisar's Man (elite soldiers of the de facto ruler of the city) (Fighter 3): 30

Typical City Watch Guard (Warrior 2): 32

Typical City Watch Constable (Fighter 5): 34

Typical Goldshield Mage (mages associated with the watch) (Wizard 5): 28

That averages out to 31.5 points, for fairly run of the mill NPCs. I'd consider that extremely high, since none of them are exceptional, named individuals.

And the issue isn't whether the party can handle these NPCs - it's why the city's crawling with so many low-level people with higher abilities than the average PC.

Last edited:

Remove ads