The Xen'drik Chronicles Chapter 1: Murder at Morgrave

reel_big_gish

First Post
Inside the Morgrave University Library, all is quiet, save for the hushed whispers of scholars and the steady pitter-patter of the rain that has been falling all afternoon. The air is crisp and cool, the result of enchantments long ago placed upon the library to protect the knowledge held within from the ravages of heat and humidity. Students sit at small oak tables with their noses buried in ancient tomes while the gnome clerk on duty works on translating a massive book recovered from Xen'Drik only last week.

In a heartbeat, the precious silence is shattered, as a hoarse, wordless scream echoes from the southern end of the library, followed momentarily by the thunderous crash of a bookcase toppling. As quickly as it was destroyed, the silence returns, this time with an ominous intent.

[sblock=Joskar, Ethan, and Talen]Each of you is currently at the tables at the north end of the library, working on various research projects and such. With your attention focused on books, you catch the scream and the bookshelf crashing, but little else.[/sblock]

[sblock=Se'ket]You're in the southern portion of the library, much closer to the source of the commotion. You were asked by Proffesor Turmin to retrieve Poisonous Flora of Xen'Drik, and had just located the book when the scream disrupted the quiet. In addition to the scream and the bookshelf falling, you hear footsteps followedby a door shutting softly[/sblock]

[sblock=Pohl]You have been hired to locate a man named Geoffram in relation to some debts he owes your client. You have discovered that his real name is Devram Toppe, and that he is a Lecturer's Assistant at Morgrave University. Asking about campus, you've managed to narrow down his whereabouts to the Library, and are just entering from outside when you hear the scream. You also hear footsteps head west, folllowed by a door softly shutting. then footsteps south, followed by the scrape of leather on stone.[/sblock]

[sblock=Reg]You're the guard on duty outside, charged with ensuring that no unauthorized personnel leave with anything belonging to the University and so on and so forth. You don't hear the scream, but yuo do hear the bookshelf crash to the ground.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]We're not on initiative, so feel free to post your character's response as you see fit.

Also, welcome everyone, to Chapter 1: Murder at Morgrave (cue spooky music;)). I hope you all enjoy the game, and I wish you good luck.

You'll need it.

BWA HA HA![/sblock]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Joskar is seated, his mind focussed on his papers, his body still as though paralysed, when the bookcase crashes in the south-wing. A second or-so seem to pass before he looks up at the sound. He looks around at the reactions of those around him, as though what he sees will influence his reaction.

He closes his books as he stands up and makes his way towards the source of the sound. He is not running, but neither is he entirely calm... more, inqusitive. Such sounds are rarely heard in the library, so whatever it is must be something unusual

[sblock=spells prepared]prestidigitation x2, read magic, detect magic, comprehend languages, identify, detect thoughts, locate object - all other slots are empty[/sblock]

Watus

First Post
Talen jumps at sudden noise, nearly spilling ink over the manuscript he's been transcribing since early this morning. Recovering himself even as the echo dies, he place his quill neatly on its rest and hops down from his chair. He moves quickly through the cavernous hall in the direction of the disturbance, anxious to know if anyone has been wounded.

Good thing I prepared some healing spells this morning, he thinks.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Prepared Spells:
Bard
0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic

Archivist
0 - (4) Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Poison, Light, Mending
1 - (4) Cure Light Wounds, Detect Evil, Protection from Evil, Scholar's Touch
2 - (3) Barkskin, Cure Moderate Wounds, Spiritual Weapon[/SBLOCK]

ByteRynn

First Post
Looking up at Talen and Joskar heading that direction, Ethan, curious, mutters a single word and appears 40 ft. away, just ahead of the others, heading toward the south wing. He then continues thirty feet down the passage, heading toward the sound of the distrubance.

[sblock]I assume I am not in my armor right now, as I wouldn't expect to be attacked on campus. I would, however, have my sword, pack with stuff, spellcomponents, etc.[/sblock]

dog45

First Post
Reg stands guard outside the library, looking much like a statue placed there to ward away intruders. The effect is ruined when he turns his head towards the source of the large crash. Taking a few steps in the doorway, he checks to make sure no one is trying to steal anything.

[sblock=OOC]Im guessing since he's on guard duty he has his combat gear with him. also, im unlcear as to what part of the university im guarding. am i by the library, and if so, north or south?[/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Se'ket's head comes up like a stag scenting danger at the sound. Beside her, the large beetle known as Kek snaps up from his rest, startled by the unusual noise. The young woman jumps up, a book tucked into her shoulder bag, her attention already on the scene before her. Scuttling towards the sound, her motions echoing her companion's in a rather uncanny fashion, she races to the site of the crash.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Pohl D'Velderan approaches the door to the library in good spirits. All right Mr. Toppe, let's hope you come quietly. I'm not really in the mood to give a defenseless scholar a thorough thrashing, but will if I have to! he thinks to himself. He reaches out, grabs the door handle and pulls it towards him when suddenly the scream rings out and the thunderous crash is heard.

"What in the Host's name?!?"

Pohl immediately rushes into the room and casts his eyes about, immediately settling in on the large bookcase lying on it's face at the far end of the room. "By the gods! All right, come on people!!! We've got a situation here!" He begins running to the far end of the hall and is just able to catch the sound of the footsteps off to the west and a door opening and shutting. As soon as he reaches the upturned bookcase he ducks his head to see if anyone is trapped underneath. He makes a quick decision based on what he finds... if someone is under the case he'll reach out and try to lift the bookcase up, but if it looks like nobody got caught under it, he'll yell for someone to take charge of this mess and then take off after the footsteps to the west.

reel_big_gish

First Post
You quickly reach the fallen bookshelf. It formerly stood along the west wall of the library, but now it rests on the floor at an akward angle. Scrolls and Books of various sizes and topics are scattered beneath it and around it, as well as what looks to be an arm dressed in brown wool.

A few of the other students come running at the noise, and working together, you manage to prop the shelf back up against the wall. Thankfully, it was much smaller than the ceiling-high shelves covering most of the rest of the library, standing roughly 8ft tall. Moving the bokos and scrolls to get to the body underneath, you find a human male who looks to have been in his early 40s. A look of shock and an overwaxed handlebar moustache are plain on his face. he wears a brown robe, and both his hands and robe are marred by ink stains.

One of the other students, shock plain on her face, exclaims "It's Devram. Oh no!. I.. It's Devram. I have to go tell Proffesor Toffin." Hand over mouth, she backs away a few steps before turning and running for the library entrance.

Last edited:

Watus

First Post
Telan moves swiftly to Devram's side as soon as the bookcase is removed. He kneels by the prostrate form and attempts to determine if he is, indeed, beyond all help.

[SBLOCK=OOC] Heal check (Heal +5): 1d20+5->[6,5]=(11)
[/SBLOCK]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Ki'shetz! I heard footsteps right after the crash, and a door closing," Se'ket says to the gathering crowd in a low voice, her head tilting sharply sideways to regard the body, echoing the same inquiring look of the mastif-sized beetle by her side. The woman is a bit odd-looking, at least compared to most of the students here. She has pale skin, oddly flat features, and short, straight, shiny blue-black hair. She wears a simple tunic and trews of blue-green silk, shiny like a beetle's wings. When she hears Professor Toffin's name mentioned, she snaps upright again, and looks at the moustashioed man again. Devram... yes, I know him. He tried to plant that delightful insect-eating plant in my windowbox.

Remove ads