Where is Ravenloft in Greyhawk?

Endur

First Post
Where is Castle Ravenloft on the map of Greyhawk?

I6 does not give any suggestions for where to place Barovia nor does the new Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (the AD&D Ravenloft boxed set placed Barovia in a demi-plane).

I would think Castle Ravenloft would probably be best placed on the border of Keoland or Urnst, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Sandain said:
I seem to recall in the novel I, Strahd, that he was in the Great Kingdom somewhere.

FYI, Barovia and Strahd weren't from a known D&D universe.

But if you want to set it in Greyhawk, a very lonely mountanous area will do well.

Joël

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Spoony Bard said:
Ravenloft is in it's own Demiplane, the Plane of Imprisonment where the ancient gods shackled Tharzidun in attempt to prevent his return.

Has that actually been established (the Tharizdun part) or just something you are suggesting? I've never seen it anywhere else (though I'm hardly a RL scholar), so I'm just curious. It would certainly explain a lot about the nature of the place, but I thought they kept the whole "Dark Powers" concept intentionally vague.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Joël of the FoS said:
But if you want to set it in Greyhawk, a very lonely mountanous area will do well.

I'm trying to think of an area with a history that would fit in well. I'm thinking, offhand, something in Northwestern Oerth- the Tergs could have been nomads of the northlands.

Either that, or maybe somewhere near Ket, with the invading Tergs possibly being from Tusmit or the Plains of the Paynims?

the Jester

Legend
Spoony Bard said:
Ravenloft is in it's own Demiplane, the Plane of Imprisonment where the ancient gods shackled Tharzidun in attempt to prevent his return.

Actually, it's the Demiplane of Dread. The Demiplane of Imprisonment is quite different, to the best of my knowledge.

As to placing Castle Ravenloft in Greyhawk- hmm, I'd prolly put it somewhere that feels kinda "Eastern European" in flavor- maybe, er, on the border of the Bone March?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Endur said:
Where is Castle Ravenloft on the map of Greyhawk?

It isn't. No-one who might have mapped it has returned. :D

Joel is right - it wasn't originally set in any campaign world.

I would think Castle Ravenloft would probably be best placed on the border of Keoland or Urnst, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Quite right. In fact, there are many, many places for Castle Ravenloft in Greyhawk. In an unremarked barony of the Great Kingdom, in a borderland of the Sheldomar Valley, etc.

Really, it's wherever suits your campaign the best. Greyhawk, having many a feudal nation, is perfect for dropping it anywhere that seems appropriate.

Cheers!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Spoony Bard said:

As Hunter in Darkness and the Jester said, Ravenloft was the Demiplane of Dread, and was explicitely different from the Demiplane of Imprisonment that the Elder Elemental God / Tharizdun was bottled up within. 'Guide to the Ethereal Plane' (among other sources) make this distinction very clear.

And as I recall Strahd's Barovia, before he was snatched up by the Mists, was a kingdom on an otherwise nameless prime material world. It wasn't part of a previously named world, just a random one on the prime.

Remove ads