• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where is Ravenloft in Greyhawk?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm convinced that the Tergs that invaded Barovia in its distant past were probably a tribe of Paynims, and that Barovia should be/have been located somewhere in Ket.

In fact, I'd probably tie them into the coming of the Brazen Horde in the 300s CY- either as a part of that group, or (most likely) one of the tribes of Paynims that was displaced and rampaged into central Oerth as a result of the appearance of the Brazen Horde on the western plains. (Which might even fit the timeline perfectly, as Barovia's RL calendar begins at 350, with the Terg invasion at 320).

Looking further, I see that there have been similar speculations- check this thread on the Canonfire! forums for more.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Spoony Bard said:
Ravenloft is in it's own Demiplane, the Plane of Imprisonment where the ancient gods shackled Tharzidun in attempt to prevent his return.

Thats what I always thought they should have made it.

Alas, someone less cool than I got to write the sourcebook.

GVDammerung

First Post
Sandain said:
I seem to recall in the novel I, Strahd, that he was in the Great Kingdom somewhere.

The RL novel King of the Dead mentions Greyhawk as Azalin's point of origin.

I have not read I, Strahd. Does it mention Greyhawk or places therein (the Great Kingdom etc.) as Strahd's point of origin or that of Barovia?

Aaron L

Hero
GVDammerung said:
The RL novel King of the Dead mentions Greyhawk as Azalin's point of origin.

I have not read I, Strahd. Does it mention Greyhawk or places therein (the Great Kingdom etc.) as Strahd's point of origin or that of Barovia?

No, in I, Strahd, he's from an unnamed world with unnamed nations, except for Barovia.

But I highly recommend reading the book! One of my favorites, and the absolute best D&D fiction out there.

Vocenoctum

First Post
First off, I think the distinction should be made that we're talking about the Castle Ravenloft from I6 and the current Expedition. It has no relation to the Ravenloft Plane that occured in the middle.

That said, there was a Ravenloft adventure during the Grand Conjunction that returned the players to the original land, which was still there and still ruled by Zarovich's, in the idea that Strahd journeyed across to the Domain and brought nothing with him, the Demiplane simply created more.

I don't recall any mentioning in that or Gryphon Hill locating them in any published campaign setting, and I don't think they were. I don't think Ravenloft syncs perfectly with any realm as is. Azalin was later retconned to be from Greyhawk, but there were plenty of other campaign worlds drawn on.

I'd put him in the Great Kingdom, simply because it's a more northern realm with a long noble tradition, where a necromancer vampire overlord wouldn't draw much attention from the overlords.

Mystaros

First Post
To give Barovia that mixed Transylvanian feel, Ket is your best bet.

Barovia fits in two general areas, both far out from the more heavily populated areas. Note this is all based just on the clasic boxed set; I'm not sure about the current status of things with the new editions.

First, and I think best, it could be set in the Barrier Hills, the extension of the Barrier Peaks between the peaks and the Bramblewood. These hills are quite steep, which fits in well with the isolated nature of Barovia. Close enough to the Paynims to be raided, close enough to Ket to have once been a part of it, and in an area where hills, mountains, and forests meet. I'd put it in hex Q5-103 or thereabouts.

Then there are the Yatils to the north; there are no hills on the Ket side, save for the Tusman Hills, which are inhabited by a fiercely independent hill people. The valley at R5-94 would work nicely; the hill tribes would avoid the region, it being taboo. The hills around Molvar are way too close to the capital. There is a spur of the Bramblewood in the northeast, which meets a spur of the Yatils, and that point would be a good location for Barovia. Being in the eastern section, it would be more Suel/Oerdian rather than Baklunish, and being in the mountainous region, more isolated. Hexes F5-92, G5-92, F5-91, or G5-91 work nicely.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mystaros said:
To give Barovia that mixed Transylvanian feel, Ket is your best bet.

Definitely something in that area- the sort of Slavic European aspect, from naming conventions (locations like Molvar and Vilayad; rulers are Beygrafs- turkic/germanic), as well as cultural- on the border between east and west, with Tusmit and the Plains of the Paynims serving as sort of Persian/Turkish influences.

There's also the remoteness of the region.

Either of your suggestions seems to work out pretty well.

Renfield

First Post
Aaron L said:
Thats what I always thought they should have made it.

Alas, someone less cool than I got to write the sourcebook.

Heh, in my not so humble opinion the idea of making it intentionally vague was far better than declaring it the prison of Tharizdun. That way, someone who would think it cool if it was (such as yourself Aaron) could then tweak it appropriately and make it so in their own campaign world without making it canon for the entire campaign setting and ruining the setting for some DM who thought the idea of it simply being a planar prison was silly. This way more people are satisfied.

Remove ads