The Four Lands - The Great North

J. Alexander

First Post
Gentlemen, here is the link for this campaign set in "The Four Lands" I hope to have lots of fun and enjoyment DMing for you guys. The characters so far are very indepth and I have enjoyed reading about them. So far I have been very impressed given the fact that given the criteria and freedom, decent solid characters were developed, each strong in their own right but alas with handicapps.

Before we get started some hints on my style of a dungeon masterting...I really enjoy and become motivated when the characters interact and plan. I absolutly loath the feeling that I have to kick the players in the rump or throw a combat at them to get them to post and interact with other characters.

The campaign will be very political in such areas as outright conquest, economics, church/state relations, etc....so feel free to set long term plans and goals for your characters......

Attached to the very end of the "Four Lands" history you will find a section entitled "Sayings of the Seers"...these little sayings can be considered propchecy so should be looked at on occassion,,you never know when your current task may be very similar to one.

Combat will occur on an average basis, encounters will occur frequently...it is up to you if you fight, parlay or flee...xp will be awarded for successfully completing the encounter with either wits or muscles.

Looking forward to it guy...we will start monday morning.

Todd

Prepare yourself to meet important creatrues and people on a regular basis...clues will be dropped as to who and what they are..but be VERY VERY VERY carefull of plots within plots within plots...

J. Alexander

First Post
Beginnings

For Ruth Lorien - Anniston Van Alorn
[sblock]After his final meeting with his old patron, Anniston heads his advice and leaves the Valley Proper headed for the Great Confederation Port of Brightlaw. Before they take their final leave, the old priest hands Anniston a small pouch. "Your father asked me to give that do you before you left." Opening the bag which Anniston later discovers to be a pouch of holiding capable of carrying 1000 coins, he sees a mass (500) of silver pennies and 20 or so small assorted gems (10 - 10gp, 5 - 25gp and 5 50gp)
Arrivinging in Brightlaw, Annsiton gazes at the great ships coming to and for in the great river port. At a loss with a dircetion for his life. Going to a small parish church, Anniston kneels in prayer searching for piece and guidance in his life. After what seems like hours Anniston ends his vigil and leaves the small church. Leaving the wind blows a flyer to his feet and Anniston reaches down and picks up the paper. Galancing down and reading it, he sees it is an advertsiment from Westmarch seeking help in their wars with the humanoids. A sense of understanding overcomes him and he feel direction for the first time in a long time. Seeking out a ship he discovers"The Western Star" a three masted 200 clipper ship who is making a direct run from Brightlaw to Westpoint. Booking passage and boading the ship on the 18th of August in 1125 YL Anniston sets forth on his quest for justice/revenge and ultimately redemption[/sblock]

For Canaan - Jaroth Urkas
[sblock]Setting sail from Eastmarch, Jaroth is sent on a diplomatic courier mission. Before leaving he is given a list of contact in the major port cites along the eastern, southern and western seaboards. Completing the eastern leg and half of the southern leg, Jaroth arrives in the great port of Brightlaw. A inland river port some 1000 miles from the coast and the principal terminus of the great river system. Arriving in Brightlaw and seeing the agent, Jaroth is handed a letter. It is addresed to him by his patron. Opening and reading the letter, Jaroth is insturcted to take ship from Brightlaw and sail to WestPoint, the major port of Westmarch by the quickest means possible. Accomping the letter is a small pouch. Inside the pouch (a purse of holding capable of holding up to 2000 coins)are 250 gold royals 500 silver pennies. After days of talking with shiping agents, Jaroth finds and books passage upon "The Western Star" a three masted 200 clipper ship who is making a direct run from Brightlaw to Westpoint. Boarding the ship on the 18 of August 1125YL Jaroth sets out on his mission.[/sblock]

For Rhun - Vadric Elareon
[sblock]During his final meeting with Bishop Toliver, Elareon is given several letters and missives to carry to "Friends of His" in the North. These letters in are a small waterproof pouch. Also in the sachel is a small leather bound book in which he is to write his reports to the Bishop. "My son, do not let this book fall into the hands of the unfaithful" summoing his divine favor he marks the book with a sigil "Invoke the Light's protection and this book will be safe from all harm and unfriendly eyes" Going to his desk he opens the center drawer and pulls out another neatly tied packet of papers and a small purse. "The purse is for you immideate needs (it contains 250 silver pennies, later you discover it to be a purse of holding capable of holding 1000 coins) Continuing he hands the the small packet of letters to Elareon "These are warrants issued on the Dicosese for your long term expenses, Use them wisely as they are all the funds we can scrape together for some time." Elareoin later discovers the small packet to be 5 (50gp) and 5 (100gp) warrants. Taking his leave, Elareon sets out the next day to the great river port of Brightlaw. Arriving in Brightlaw he soon finds a ship" The Western Star" a three masted 200 clipper ship who is making a direct run from Brightlaw to Westpoint. Booking passage, Elareon set's sail on the 18th day of August in 1125 YL[/sblock]

For DracoMender - Finnian Douglas
[sblock]While conducting reasearch in The Republic, Finnian gets a messeage more or less commanding him to meet the Duke of Cassan at a tiny village just across the border.Droping everything Finnian hastens to the Duke. Meeting at the village, Finnian is somewhat startled at the Duke appearace. The duke seems to have aged at least 20 years and appears to be in decline."Finnian my boy, I need a final service from you, I need you to undertake a very delicate and important mission for me" Out of loyalty and feeling for the Duke, Finnian readily agrees to undertake the Duke's bidding even without knowing what it is. "Before you so readily agree" the Duke says"First hear the mission" Pausing and taking a sip of his wine the Duke continues "Word has reached me that foul things are afoot in the North. Tales of bands of giants coming down from the Northlands, rumors that the Borderlords are more interested in annexing portions of the Unclaimed Lands rather than guarding the border and taking back the Deadlands. In short I need you to spy out the defenses of the Borderlands and finds out what is really going on. There are to many rumors afloat and the church is usless in this, they are in fact creating more tension than there should be." Carefully thinking the Duke's offer over, Finnian accepts knowing that the Duke would not ask if it was not important. As he accepts the commission the Duke seems pleased. He hands Finnian a small locket engraved with the Duchy Arms with the revers said of that of the Royal House of Gwyneedde."You can contact me thru this locket at need, but use it sparingly, I have not the strength left to use it that often" Pausing for a moment he continues "This is more than likely going to be dangerous and that far abroad I can offer very little protection. What i can do I have done by sending letters North to several old friends. And it is going to be expensive I fear very expensive so you will need this" At which point the Duke tossess Finnian a small black leather pouch (Pouch of holding capable of 2500 coins) In the pouch is a small letter with the ducal seal asking that assistance be given to one Finnian Douglas as a senior member of theDuke of Cassan household. Also in the pouch is 200 gold pieces and 2 very fine diamonds (500gp each) Takin g his leave of the Duke, Finnian travels westward thru the Repbulic to the Great Confederationg Port of BRightlaw. Arriving at Brightlaw, he books passage on Western Star and boards the ship for Westmarch on the 18th Day of August in 1125 YL[/sblock]

For Scotley - Bertrand Brookmead
[sblock]Settling his business in Brightlaw and purchasing his livestock Bertrand prepares to move his remuda and employees to his home. The day before he drives is ready to Drive North, Bertrand is summoned to the Local Ecclestical Magistrates Office. Arriving at the Office he is introudced to Monsignor Gorney. Monsignor Gorney has a commission for Bertrand based upon refereces he has received all in favor of him. "What i need you to do is to bring back a foul heretic. One who is associated with the most foul magics of necromancy. If you accept the commission, to bring him back dead or alive to face justice, we will be in your debit."...Thinking about the offer Bertrand seems hesitant suspecting something until the Monsignor sweetens the pot "As this is going to be an exceptionaly difficult task we are willing to offer in compensation title to 3000 acresof your choice in or around Sweetbrook. The land deed to be sealed by the Primate and endorsed by Highgate, Ironkeep and Northwarden. Further we will arrange transport of you livestock and employees to Sweetbrook under the protection of the light and will donate the mules, horses and wagons needed to make the trip plus an upfront cash payment of 500 gold pieces." Hearing the offer, Bertrand is stunned but after some relection accepts the offer. "Good Good you are to track down and bring to our justice one Balite Dornitive. He is rumored to be headed to Westmarch and here is a drawing of him" Taking his leave Bertrand settles his affairs and gives directions to his men..he then books passage on "Western Star" and boards her on the 18 of August in 1125 YL for Westmarch.[/sblock]

For Fenris - Modjan Ravensblight
[sblock]Modjan is sitting in a tavern enjoying a well earned ale when he is approached by Captain Targus Swiftwater who he has known off and on for several years."Trouble be brewing on the Western Seaboard what with all the radiers and foul beasts. I be needing some stalwart marines this trip to Brightlaw and back and want you to be the Captain of Marines" Having been sometime away from the sea and hearing it's call Ravensblight agrees to the commission. "We are going to be running two very high value cargos so we will want to add another 15 marines to the usual compliment. For compensation I will pay you 1 percent of the value to and 5 percent of the value coming back." Stunned by the staggering offer Modjan is speechless. Recruting and training a party of marines Modjan has an unevenfull voyage sailing south. Once in Brightlaw the Captain Swiftwater readily sells the cargo and hands Ravensblight a purse containg 100 gold pieces and a Draft on the Brighlaw Bank, made out to Ravensblight, for an additional 400 gold pieces. "Your one percent, the cargo will be loaded and we will sail on the 18th of August. As the 18th breaks "Western STar" is ready to set sail on her return voyage.[/sblock]

Last edited:

J. Alexander

First Post
Setting Sale

The dawn breaks brisk and cold on the 18th of August in the Year of the Light 1125. The "Western Star" is ready to set sail and waiting for it's passangers to board. Once the boarding has been completed the ship quickly catches the wind and moves down the river towards the Ocean. As the noon hour arrives and the passangers have settled into their cabins lunch is announced in the Dining Cabin. Feeling the pains of hunger, your characters go to where it is being served. A great stading rib roast and fresh baskets of bread are on the table along with garlic roasted poatates, ginger carrots and a huge selction of cheese and olives. A nice red table wine has been decanted and is ready to be poured. Sitting down at the table you begin to notice your fellow passangers and the Captain of the Ships Marines who is also at the table with you.
(Feel free to describe and introudce youself gentlemen)

AS the passangers settle in and get into daily routines the ship makes quick progress down the river. In less than five days, the Western Star has reached the river mouth and enterd the Ocean. Tacking to the west, the ship follows set out on a diagnoal course to the tip of The United Provicens where it will take on provisons and supplies for the trip around the Eleven Coast line.

Reaching the United Provicnecs the ship docks for twenty four hours. Feeling restless after more than two weeks at sea, the lure of stable ground and fresh food is appealing. The Captain announces that passangers may go ashore as long as they return to the ship by 6am in the morning so they can catch the tide. The ships company is also given liberty as after departure the ship will be aat sea for an estimated 4 to 6 weeks.

Actions Gentlemen?

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Vadric stands by the ship's rail, enjoying the breeze and watching the play of the sunlight on the water. A wide smile beams on the man's handsome face, and his curly brown hair is tossed about by the wind. He wears simple but well-made traveller's clothes...after all, a ship sailing the ocean is no place for wearing heavy armor. A black-hilted long blade hangs at his waist, though, and judging from his stance and athletic build, he is no stranger to using it. While one hand rests against the rail, the other idly fondles the symbol hanging about his neck...the symbol of St. Heironeous.

Last edited:

Canaan

First Post
Jaroth stands near the rail of the ship a bit distant from Vadric, arms folded in his billowing cloak and robe, looking out at the ocean. He contemplates The Green, becoming the waves of the sea. His eyes close as he communes with nature. A sharp intake of breath followed by the extacsy of The Green. He is the water, he is the sea. A smile covers his face, eyes still closed. His head tilts up to let the sun bathe his face.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Bertrand Human Ranger/Rogue

A tall well built man with close cropped blond hair and a neat pale beard joins the ships' company. The cool gray eyes miss little, being the sharp eyes of a hunter. He walks with a confident rolling gate and is used to long journeys over rough ground. His skin is naturally pale in the way of most borderlanders, but his face and hands are tanned and weathered from long exposure to the elements. He bares several old scars. His gear shows the wear of long use, but it has been properly cared for. A closer examination reveals that he has done his shopping over the length and breadth of the 4 lands, all of the best quality available though with little in the way of adornment. Westlands fur trim, thick warm woolens from Melrose, a shirt of strange dark metal the rings so fine and perfect no human hand could have made them, Tyrian leather, Dashai silk and linen from Kell are all part of his kit. He wears a simple silver locket on a stout chain along with a the sunbeam over a cloud shrouded mountain holy symbol of the light. A glimpse of fine chain links just above the elbow and telltale bulges beneath his clothes suggest light armor is worn. A dark wickedly spiked flail hangs at his hip along with a collection of light axes and a carefully coiled net. A tall quiver is at his back.

Arriving at the table he greets the group by saying. "Good Evening Gentlemen, my name is Bertrand."

Last edited:

Rath Lorien

First Post
A man in pilgrim's robes follows Bertrand into the dinning cabin with soft footsteps and announces himself by politely clearing his throat. An iron holy symbol of the Light hangs around his neck.

In clear-spoken Illum he says, "Blessings of the Light to all"

Then he switches to Northern Gaullic, speaking with obvious noble upbringing and a distinctive Northwarden accent, "Perhaps it would not be too much of an assumption to speak in Gaullic as that is the land to which we are headed. Well met, Bertrand, I know only enough Confederati to have caught your name, alas, little more."

"By the saints it smells good in here. In truth I expected less."

Dracomeander

First Post
"And the Light bless you as well, brother," comes a voice in Illum with the lilting accents of Gwynedde. "But it is remiss of you to assume all here are familiar with the northern tongues.
"Hopefully, it shan't take me long to learn said tongues, but 'til now my travels have keep me confined more to the south. Perhaps the tongue of the church would be the language most familiar to all,"
interjects the rakish young man in well-cut traveling clothes as he joins the folk at table.

Those observing the young man will note the casual ease with which he brushes the long, thin blade with the swept-back guard out of the way as he sits at his place at the table. His clothes are fine made and well cut but obviously designed for the rigors of the road. He is well-groomed with a tasteful assortment of jewelry. He smiles easily as he makes his comments, taking any sting or perceived rebuke out of his words. Those especially observant will note the symbol of a harp and thrush is carved into the stone of one of his rings, and is echoed on the hilt of a D'ashai made dagger thrust through his belt.

Rath Lorien

First Post
Speakin in Illum, "Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to speak in the language of Illumnation. I am Anniston."

Anniston comes to the table and takes a chair near the rakish young man, politely bowing his head in a traditional southern greeting and then offering his hand in the manner of the north.

Your experienced eye determines by his walk that he is probably wearing some sort of armor under his robes, but the armor makes no sound so it is unclear what sort of armor it might be. He does not appear otherwise armed.

"You seem a gentleman from the south. If I may be so bold, what brings you so far from your home?"

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Bertrand

Clapping the man in pilgrims robes on the shoulder in friendly greeting, Bertrand adds in Northern Gaullic with a clear native accent, "much as it pleases me to here the tongue of home, perhaps we should use language of the light in deference to our brothers." He switches to unaccented Illum. To the rakish young Gwyneddie he says with a wink, "Aye we'll have you speaking a proper language in no time." In turn he shakes Anniston's hand with a firm grip. "A pleasure sir." Taking a seat he begins to load a plate with a hearty meal, but eshews the wine. Turning his attention once more the pilgrim he says, "You have the right of it. This does seem an unnusually fine meal for shipboard. We can only pray the food continues to be this good once we are out of sight of land and can no longer ask for a refund on passage," he notes with an easy smile.

Remove ads