• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Four Lands - The Great North

Fenris

Adventurer
Canaan said:
"It's a pleasure, Captain." Jaroth nods his head and smiles in Captain Ravensblight's direction. "Ravensblight. By your bearing, you are obviously a Borderman. But that name....it sounds older, somehow." Jaroth offers academically. "Bah, a good strong name, in any event." Jaroth finishes with a wave of his hand and a disarming smile.

"Perhaps you could tell me good Captain, when do we expect to dock at Westpoint?" Jaroth asks after a moment's pause.

Modjan replies in Northern Illum: "Three fortnights at least, barring bad weather or other difficulties. I am indeed a Borderlander. A member of the Brotherhood no less."

The borderlander returns the Marine Captain's Greeting warmly. "A pleasure sir. I know the feeling, road and wave are all well and good, but nothing can match the joy of going home and seeing familiar faces." He makes an expansive gesture toward the table, "we were just noting the fine food on the Western Star."

Turnign back to Bertrand and sitting next to him, he returns to Northern Gaullic:

"Aye, so much the better to see a fellow kinsmen this far south. Indeed, Captain Swiftwater travels well."
replies Modjan in response to the table "So what march do you hail from?"

Dracomeander

First Post
Finnian nods in greeting to each of the newcomers then observes the byplay between Bertrand and the Marine Captain, listening to the differences in the language from what he is familiar with. He then turns to Anniston, Vadric, and Jaroth.

"Well, it seems that those two are familiarizing themselves with memories of their respective homelands. While I'm sure their speech is interesting, I'm not familiar enough with that dialect to follow at the speed they are going."

Turning to Vadric, Finnian addreses him.

"Unless I miss my guess that is a rather ancient and somewhat famous blade you have there sir. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you and it were united. I'm sure such a tale would be exciting and worthy of being immortalized in song and prose."

Rhun

First Post
"Indeed,” answers Vadric in response to Fillian’s question, "There is quite a tale associated with this blade...” The man offers a bright smile to his fellow travelers, making note of Jaroth’s apparent interest in him without making too much of it.

"When I was younger, I sustained a severe head wound during a skirmish…during the time I was unconscious I had what you might call a vision of sorts; I saw a knight in golden armor, a knight that could only be Saint Heironeous, holding out a black blade wreathed in flames. The battle surgeons attributed the vision to the head wound, and perhaps they were right. At any rate, I joined the church, and during my studies came across reference of a mighty blade, blessed by Heironeous, and lost for a century and more.” Vadric pauses to take a quaff of wine from his goblet, and push the remnants of the meal away.

"I continued to look for clues to the sword’s whereabouts as the years passed. The research became something of a hobby for me. But then one day I found reference to an abandoned abbey. I decided to investigate the ruins of the place, and found dark things lurking there. But I also found an old shrine, in which lay the sword that you see: Warsong. I sought to return the blade to the church for safe keeping, but the bishops apparently thought the sword would be of better use by a knight in service of the light.”

Dracomeander

First Post
"That is quite a tale," says Finnian as you see him close his eyes briefly, committing the tale to memory. "So how does the work of the church bring a warrior of your stature to travel on a peaceful passenger vessel? Do we find you on a holiday, or is there something threatening we should be aware of?"

Rhun

First Post
"No, no, nothing of the sort," says Vadric, still smiling. "On this trip I am a simple courier, bearing missives for the church. Although, speaking of peaceful passenger vessels..." he turns his head to regard Modjan. "There seems to be a large contingent of marines on this vessel, Captain Ravensblight? Do we sale to war, or is there trouble brewing in Westpoint that we should be aware of?"

Scotley

Hero
Bertrand

Fenris said:
Turnign back to Bertrand and sitting next to him, he returns to Northern Gaullic:

"Aye, so much the better to see a fellow kinsmen this far south. Indeed, Captain Swiftwater travels well."
replies Modjan in response to the table "So what march do you hail from?"

"I'm from Highgate originally, but more recently I've been living in the area of Roark's Drift. I've got a little farm stead there we've been trying to make a go of in recent years. I've been breeding horses and raises a few crops and livestock, and I have a daughter there." Bertrand's tone remains friendly, but a sense of sadness seems to come over him as he talks. Unconciously, he begins to finger is silver locket on a chain about his neck. Clearly homecoming is mixed blessing to him.

Finnian's words seem to snap Bertrand back to the here and now. He looks expectantly for the warrior's answer. Switching back to Illum effortlessly he joins in, "yes, I'd be interested in any news of trouble up that way, for my own work concers that."

J. Alexander

First Post
Luncheon

For Ravensblight
[sblock]As far as troubles go, Captain Sweetwater did mention increased raids boy dragonships (think viking longships) who have been increainsg the size and frequency of their raids against costal towns...Also rumors of a fleet of small fast sailing ships operating out of some unknown norhtern port preying on shipping. Landwise, increased raids by Ogiers and Giants have been occuring as well as well planned probes by battalions of orcs reinforced with koblold slingers.[/sblock]

Canaan

First Post
Jaroth's eyes fall to the Captain's spear and the runes it bears. In the old tongue, he addresses Ravensblight. "I too noticed the large contingent of marines boarding this vessel. But I wonder. Is it this ship's cargo they guard? Several fine chests also boarded her. We aren't in any danger, are we, Captain?" Jaroth asks, subtly avoiding the general question he posed to all about their pasts.

To Vadric: "That is a wonderful tale, Father. One that surely will make it's way into song if our friend over there has anything to say about it." Jaroth smiles, indicating to Finnian.

J. Alexander

First Post
Luncheon

As the travel knows as Jaroth begins to speak in a somewhat arachic language apparently directing the words to the Captain of Marines, one of the mechants slams his silverware down and address Jaroth "I thank you sir not to use such a foul and heretical language while i am trying to eat" With a huff, the man gets up throws his napkin on the table, gathers what appears to be his clerk and removes himself from the dining room. Leaving he can be heard to mubmle "Heather'ns aboud these days, may the light preserve us" The young man noticed early can be seen slightly cowered by this display of the merchants.

Remove ads