• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Four Lands - The Great North

J. Alexander

First Post
Luncheon

If anyone would like to roll a knowledge luxury (appraise) or food with a DC of 15 with the exception of Bertrand.

Roll 15 +
[sblock]The drink before Bertrand smells to be Coffee, an extremely expensive luxury which actually cost 50 gold pieces per pound rather than 50 silver.[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
"Ah, Rendee. Good to see another Northman here. Trust me my friend, the sea is in your blood whether you know it or not. I am Modjan" says the marine holding out a hand. "Come show me this spear of yours. It reminds me much of my own"

Scotley

Hero
Bertrand

Rendee takes the offered hand and grips it firmly. He passes over the spear, which seems quite old yet bares no nick or scratch suggesting a magical nature. The handle is darkwood and the carving though primative does seem to capture the spirit of the animals protrayed. "Thank you it was my great grandfathers. You do have a handsome spear, might I heft it?"

Dracomeander

First Post
[sblock]spot check 3, http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=694587
Bardic Knowledge (in place of knowledge luxury) 22, http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=694608[/sblock]
Finnian's enjoyment of the conversational flow of the Old Tongue is shattered by the overreaction of the merchant. His gaze follows the merchant as he leaves then travels back to those left at the table.

"Such an outburst over such a small matter. If that is all the better the man is at keeping his composure, it is a wonder that he is successful enough of a merchant to be able to afford this trip. I think it would be a fascinating experience to get said gentleman into a game of skillful chance. I wonder how much of his fortune I could accumulate before he realized just how much he reveals with such little control of self."

Turning to the Captain, Finnian returns to the generral conversation.

"It appears that you have several able-bodied persons here, including myself, to assist you should the need arise."

When Bertrand's men arrive, Finnian perks up sniffing the air wafting from the boiling pot.

"Is that coffee I smell? However did you manage to make a connection to get that brew? I've only ever had the occasion to drink it during diplomatic state functions.
"And your man, Rendee, is it? I don't recognize those tattoos. What tribe is he from, and how did he come to travel with you?"

Last edited:

Canaan

First Post
Jaroth watches Rendee and Modjan with interest. "Your spear, Modjan." He begins in the Old Tongue. "Where did you get such a remarkable weapon? Its runes..." Jaroth trails off, examining it from a distance. Recognition registers on his face. "Tell me, Modjan was it the spoils of victory or did it come to you by some other means?" Jaroth's expresion is inscrutable.

Fenris

Adventurer
"My spear is still in my cabin, Andvari!" calls out Modjan. A marine appears out of the hallway.

"Andvari, please retrieve my spear" he asks.

Andvari returns shortly carrying into the room another long spear. It could almost be the twin of Rendee's. It has a shaft out of a similar looking dark wood, though it carries a steel tip rather than bronze. The shaft is adorned though with ancient symbols, runes some would call them. To those school in runes and ancient religions they are symbols of power. Symbols of the sky, of lightning, of thunder, of war.

With a grin Modjan, hands the spear to Rendee with a sense of pride. "Here spearbrother, see what the heft is"

Turning to Jaroth, "This was a, ...gift actually. Warfare could not have garnered me such a prize. Rather, wisdom did, as so often is the case"

Rath Lorien

First Post
Anniston

2 spot checks, 12 & 17 respectively

Anniston nods attentively as Finnian tells his tale and then quietly listens to the casual banter. Before eating he prays for an unusually long time before beginning to eat.

He looks up keenly at the merchant's reaction to the Old Tongue, but carefully avoids calling attention to Jaroth's response.

He stops chewing, however, and listens closely when Vadric speaks these words:
"No offense taken, Jaroth. Some of those who follow the light fear that anything unfamiliar or foreign to them is darkness. I, however, believe that darkness or light reside within a man's heart, and only through his actions may he be judged."
But then resumes his meal in silence, as if nothing happened.

Later, when Jaroth continues speaking in the Old Tongue to Modjan about the spear he seems to squint his eyes a bit, as if trying to work out some of the words.

During a lull in the conversation, Anniston will speak in Illum to Vadric, "Sir, by chance are you ordained by the Church in Holy Orders? If you are indeed a priest then I should be delighted to attend with you during your daily sacrament of Illumination. Perhaps there would be others also who would be interested in gathering together to practice the holy rituals of our faith."

Scotley

Hero
Bertrand

Answering Finnian's questions, Bertrand gestures to the pot. "A terrible addiction. I know a man in the south who keeps me supplied as long as I can afford to keep my accounts up. Would you care for a cup?" Speaking of Rendee, "He's a splendid fellow. His father hired me to bring some ravaging hill giants in and young Rendee helped me. Along the way I saved his life. He has insisted on following me about to repay the debt." Fingering the locket again he adds, "In truth I think he already has though he doesn't know it."

Rhun

First Post
Rath Lorien said:
During a lull in the conversation, Anniston will speak in Illum to Vadric, "Sir, by chance are you ordained by the Church in Holy Orders? If you are indeed a priest then I should be delighted to attend with you during your daily sacrament of Illumination. Perhaps there would be others also who would be interested in gathering together to practice the holy rituals of our faith."

Vadric nods to Anniston. "Yes, sir, I am an ordained priest. I would be honored to share the sacrament with you." The priest looks around at the other men. "And with the rest of you, as well.

Remove ads