SRD monsters in the new statblock format

Dalamar

Adventurer
So I tend to sometimes have wierd things I consider a good way to waste time, and one of those recently has been converting monsters from the SRD to the new statblock format. I've gotten through A and Z (which is just zombies) and some monsters from other alphabets, and thought I might as well share the finished letters with other people and get some feedback while I'm at it.

Somethings I'd specifically like feedback on:
  • AC breakdown. The statblocks are meant to be used as-is, not for tweaking the monster. Should I include the breakdowns anyway? The way they currently are, it wouldn't add extra lines to the statblock itself in most cases as it could easily be included on the same line as the AC itself.
  • Layout. Currently I've got them simply in order with pagebreaks so that a monster doesn't get split between two pages. There's two versions, one with 10,5pt and one with 8pt font. The larger font is clearer to read when printed, but takes quite a few more pages of space (drops from 21 to 15 pages in A).
    Are these good ways to present them, or should I perharps move to vertical paper with two columns with two monsters per page? Something else entirely?
  • I've shortened quite a few ability descriptions. Do they still mean what they should? Should I just have included the full normal entry even if it takes more space (guess this ties into the one above, too)?
  • Other minor issues like should the alignment "frequency" be included (currently it's just the alignment)? Is it appalling that I've moved the vulnerability entry above saving throws instead of under it? Listing an angel's bonus to saves against poison separately after the saves instead of in brackets right after the Fort save value? Putting the metaspell-like version to 3/day spell-like abilities when the base ability is at will? Did I miss a piece of errata ?

<A> <B> <E> <I> <K> <M> <O> <Y> <Z> <All, including Animals and Vermin>
<Animals> <Vermin>
<Summon Monster I> <Summon Monster II> <Summon Monster III> <Summon Monster IV> <All Summon Monsters>
<All files as .doc files>

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
Added B to the list of things done. Fixed some errors that were not in the errate file, but caught my eye anyway (namely, barghest Move Silently and greater barghest Survival still having the synergy bonus while it doesn't have ranks in Search, plus Bralani scimitar damage).

Also noted that while a greater barghest supposedly comes from a standard issue barghest feeding enough, they have skills like they were created that way. Or, in other words, retroactively for the Int increase.
And the abyssal greater basilisk is one heck of glass cannon. AC 17 at CR12?

Oh, and I did make an actual change with the arrowhawks when I converted them. Since they supposedly favor their ray attack, it felt wierd for me that they had Weapon Focus for their bites.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wow, that's quite an undertaking! I prefer the old format myself, but many folks have been asking for this. Nice work. :)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words :)

Yeah, I realise that it'll probably have eaten a lot of hours of my time by the time it's finished, but since I'm working on it on and off mostly one monster at a time, it shouldn't matter too much. I do slightly fear D, though. Especially if I'm going to be megalomaniacal and do a statblock for all dragons of all categories...

Currently working on the animal appendix as that'll make working on Celestial a bit easier. Considering the possibility of statblocking all summonable celestials while I'm at it, but we'll see.

Logophylia

First Post
I for one GREATLY appreciate what you are doing !

As for including the AC modifications, if it's not too much trouble I would again, greatly appreciate seeing these as well. I for one DO use these mods on the fly when DMing - especially when the mods include such vagaries as a shield bonus ....

Dalamar

Adventurer
Nice link, smootrk! But I do notice that there are quite a few things the author and I have set up differently (namely how some abilities like Change Shape and gaze attacks are placed), and there are outright some mistakes in some of those (greater barghest SLA DCs aren't increased for its greater Cha, Solar's always-on SLAs aren't mentioned and the Protective Aura isn't described not to mention that it isn't in the Aura spot of the statblock). I think I'll do all the statblocks myself, if for no other reason than to slip out of the need to credit somebody else ;)
But I think I'll be doing comparisons with those, if for no other reason than to see how somebody else does them.

Adding in the AC breakdown isn't too much of a hassle, especially once I've gotten it on the ones that have been statted before. But you did remind me of one of the odd habits of mine that I forgot to mention. If the monster is told to wield a physical shield, the shield bonus is not included in the stat block. Instead, the type of shield is noted right alongside other conditional AC modifiers like Dodge etc. Currently I think the only monster this concerns is the bugbear.

smootrk

First Post
You are welcome. It is a very good site to measure your own endeavor against, at least as an error check device. When you see a discrepancy you can be sure that either he made a mistake or you did.

Remove ads