• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most broken prestige classes?

Christian

Explorer
Thought about adding a poll, but don't even have thoughts on what to include. So ... What do you think are the most poorly balanced prestige classes that have come out for D&D 3.5? WOTC, third-party, whatever. Which ones are most likely to ruin a game if they're allowed?

No, I'm not trying to figure out my next character. :p

Legildur

First Post
Frenzied Beserker would have to rate highly.

But I reckon the Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone grabs my attention. A 5 level PrC with full spellcasting progression, 2 good saves (poor BAB though), and some neat special abilities, including the abilities (12th level) of 10ft tremorsense, at will see through stone, dirt or earth up to 30ft asif it weren't there, and at will earth glide (as the earth elemental ability). I'm not sure I could even take such a PrC to my DM.

Kurashu

First Post
War Hulk, Hulking Hurler, Frenzied Berserker, Ur Preist, and Blighter are PrC that won't be making an appearance in my games save for a few situations, and then only as NPCs.

There's others, but I can't think of them off hand.

FunkBGR

Explorer
I tend to avoid anything out of Complete Divine -

Ur-Priest
Radiant Servant
Un-errata'd Rainbow Servant (*regardless of what you believe, the fact that somebody can read the text and point to WotC "text trumps table" errata)
Pious Templar
Divine Crusader

I'm sure there's more

Solarious

Explorer
The Incantatrix is a nasty contender, for the metamagiks field. Most optimizers take it for the sheer power it offers to primary arcane spellcasters, at little overall cost. Even in this day and age of supplements, you'll be hard pressed to find a PrC that beats it for pure magey twitch power.

Telflammar Shadowlord is also abusable, although still nasty regardless of wether you abuse the pounce or not. Powerful either way, but takes some effort to actually break.

But yeah, Dweomerkeeper takes the cake for brokeness, as long as you let Supernatural Spell eliminate XP costs. If you nerf that, then it regresses to something along the lines of Incantatrix-level power.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
The homebrew ones in my sig, probably. ;)

I found the Incantatrix, Frenzied berserker, and Radiant Servant of Pelor the worst. I haven't seen a dweomerkeeper in play, but it didn't look good either.

Really though, I look at the PrCls to see if the do what they set out to do, and don't overshadow other options, the base classes they came from, or the other PCs.

Remove ads