D&D (2024) Most OP Sub-Classes with the 2024 rules?

Clint_L

Hero
What do you think? Although we haven't seen the final balancing pass, so our predictions have to be taken with a grain of salt, we do have a pretty good idea of where things are going. Enough to start thinking about what the new hotness will be.

In some cases, it's pretty obvious that the rich are getting richer. Sub-classes that are already pretty great are mostly going to be even better (except poor Circle of the Moon druids; they are looking like the big casualty of 2024). Twilight Clerics get a few new toys, and Battle Masters get even more options, as do Echo Knights.

But who joins the ranks of the OP?

1. Mercy Monks: already the best monk sub-class, by far, Mercy Monks are stupidly good in 2024. At high levels, they are probably the best tanks in the game, and that's on top of being highly mobile with excellent offence and control. Starting at 11th level, for example, for the cost of one Di point, a Mercy Monk could make five attacks, converting one into Hand of Harm to automatically apply the poison condition to their foe, convert another two into healing approximately 22 points to themselves or an ally, and deflect an attack to prevent approximately 22 damage to themselves. That means they're dealing roughly 30 damage and preventing roughly 44, while incapacitating an opponent. Every round. Without even using stunning strike.

2. Berserker barbarians: Currently, the high cost of using this sub-class's big feature, an extra attack for a bonus action, are too steep. The new version is likely to be the highest DPR sub-class in the game, and with weapon mastery and the new barbarian abilities, will also have the potential for some decent battlefield control and more utility outside of combat. Wins the "most improved" ribbon.

3. Elemental monks: Generally thought to be the worst sub-class in the 2014 rules, the 2024 version plays way more like that air bender you always wanted. After level 10, you are a flying grappler with insane movement. It's going to totally change the tactics for a lot of fights.

Those are just some initial thoughts. Who else are the big winners (or losers, if you want to go that way)?

aco175

Legend
It seems that all the overpowered things are from non-core books like Tashas and such, except the berserker which I never seen anyone take. It seems like a normal course to say that things get more powerful to make people want them and power creep is a thing to sell books. I want to say that is not the intent of the designers and that the new options just seem to synchronize better than the old ones.

I have heard twilight cleric a lot, but not seen it in play outside of a convention.

Clint_L

Hero
I played a Twilight cleric in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. I'm not sure whether it or Echo Knight is the most OP sub-class in 5e, but I think it's one of them.

For example, there's a fight against a Frost Giant skeleton fair early on in Rime. We blundered into it at Level 3, but that's okay because there's a powerful NPC who is there to help you. Except we didn't need him, because my Level 3 Twilight Cleric had no problem keeping our barbarian tank up and our party of four chewed through it in a few rounds. We didn't even break a sweat.

ECMO3

Hero
I played a Twilight cleric in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. I'm not sure whether it or Echo Knight is the most OP sub-class in 5e, but I think it's one of them.

For example, there's a fight against a Frost Giant skeleton fair early on in Rime. We blundered into it at Level 3, but that's okay because there's a powerful NPC who is there to help you. Except we didn't need him, because my Level 3 Twilight Cleric had no problem keeping our barbarian tank up and our party of four chewed through it in a few rounds. We didn't even break a sweat.

We had a Twilight Cleric ROFM as well. IMO if you are looking at just the subclass abilities and not considering the class, Echo Knight is one of the most powerful. Fighter is not that powerful though which makes Echo Knight middle of the pack overall.

Twilight Cleric is way overated IMO as far as subclass goes. It is OP at low levels but mediocre at high levels as more powerful actions become available through spells and the channel divinity becomes less useful. Overall if you are talking from level 2-4 Twilight is the most powerful cleric Subclass. If you are looking at 1-20 though Death, Tempest and Order are all more powerful. Twilight Cleric itself is a powerful character though because the Cleric chassis is powerful and it is a full caster. It still can't hold up to most Wizards or Sorcerers though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think monk in general is the biggest winner in the rules revision, and the elements monk is easily the most-improved subclass within the most-improved class. But that’s mostly because monks and especially elements monks were so weak in 2014. Despite having the largest power delta from 2014 to 2024, they still seem far from OP.

I’d probably have to give the most-OP award to the new warlock, despite being in the camp that thinks it’s still within a reasonable power level. The improved invocations (along with the tweaks to Clerics) are likely to make Warlock the new most dippable class for multiclassing. The Invocations are definitely the main source of that power though, not the subclasses.

Base class power level aside, I think twilight cleric is probably the strongest subclass in a vacuum.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Currently playing a fighter Battle Master, and the combination of the new Weapon Mastery Properties, Combat Maneuvers, and Two-Weapon Fighting is kind of ridiculous.

Remove ads