Victorian Eberron (Recruiting Closed - looking for nonamazing)

drothgery

First Post
Approved PCs - please post your characters in the RG thread here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=195556 ; if you have any questions, PM me or ask them here.

I've put the setting info in another RG thread here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=195557

OOC Thread

The basic notion is:

There were, perhaps, many ways to have stopped what happened in the centuries after the fall of Galifar. Perhaps with more direct aid, the Kalashtar of Adar could have prevented the Quori from building the devices across all of Riedra which allowed them to manifest themselves in Eberron. Perhaps if the Druids of the Reaches had maintained faith with the Gatekeepers instead of turning to other traditions, they would have had the strength to close the doorways that the Inspired had opened. Perhaps if the wizards of Arcanix had been more convinced of their own power, and less desperate, they would not have attempted to free what was bound in Khyber in hopes that two great evils would destroy each other. Perhaps if the peoples of the Five Nations had been more vigilant, the cults of the Dragon Below would have been destroyed, and there would have been nothing for them to find and use to succeed to some degree. Perhaps if the wounds between Aundair and Thrane had ever been fully healed, Aundair would have heeded the warnings the oracles of Church of the Silver Flame had sent.

But it had happened, and as great evils fought each other and the great heroes that tried to stop them -- the Kalashtar died to the last, as did the last of the Gatekeepers. The armies of the Five Nations. By the time the Keeper of the Flame sacrificed himself to bind the last, all of the old peoples save for humankind were reduced to tiny, isolated communities or destroyed entirely.

And though that was well over a thousand years ago as of this writing, only humanity has truly risen from the ashes. But the great magics that were unleashed in that desperate struggle are almost entirely lost. Bards songs no longer command power, the spellbooks of the wizards of the Arcane Congress are lost, and there has not been one born with powers of sorcery or any true or aberrant Dragonmark in over a millenia. Some who channel primal forces of good and evil still command as much power as they did in days long past, and the archivists claim with the proper focus any magic is still possible. But the days of magewrights by the scores working in the great cities is long past.

Fortunately, the minds that once would have turned their thoughts to arcane power have persued other endeavours in our time. We have no airships or bound elementals in our time, but we do have rails of iron and steam along the routes the lightning rail once ran, and steamships are reclaiming the seas. Telegraph lines may not be as fast as speaking stones are supposed to have been, but they are no less a wonder. And while mankind's enemies need not fear fireballs, they must take our canon and and muskets into account.

One would think, in an age of such wonders, none would seek out those great evils that remained bound through the cataclysmic end of the last age. But there have always been those who seek shortcuts to power, and those who seek to cheat death. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to stop them.

- Father Mikel ir'Indari, Knight of the Flame, Knight Commander of the Inquisition

I'm looking for 4-6 players.

Characters will be 4th level, 28 point buy, with a lot of special rules. PCs cannot be evil.

No more than one minor race character (neither human nor Khorvar) will be approved, and it's likely that none will be. Also note that while hexblades and dread necromancers exist, those that can maintain the good graces of the Holy Office are few and far between; typically such characters will be your enemies (along with pirates, rogue bands of Khyber-spawn that still exist even if they don't believe in them in Flamekeep, corrupt officers of the Church, barbarian tribes who don't like the ever-expanding great powers, and the Flame knows what else).

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Cool. I think my original idea was a swashbuckling Pistol wielder, so I'll see what I can come up with that'll be fun AND effective.

Just For The Record, If a Pistol is Light, does it count for the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike? (It doesn't specify that it has to be a melee weapon).

drothgery

First Post
Jemal said:
Cool. I think my original idea was a swashbuckling Pistol wielder, so I'll see what I can come up with that'll be fun AND effective.

Just For The Record, If a Pistol is Light, does it count for the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike? (It doesn't specify that it has to be a melee weapon).

Sure. Though it's probably worth noting that for purposes of this game, a 'pistol' is a single-shot weapon that has to be reloaded after each time you fire; though the guns of this game are percussion cap weapons (and so fire reliably in all weather, and reload fairly quickly), they don't have the larger box or internal magazines of later weapons. So the only guns that can be fired more than once without reloading are revolvers.

Jemal

Adventurer
drothgery said:
Sure. Though it's probably worth noting that for purposes of this game, a 'pistol' is a single-shot weapon that has to be reloaded after each time you fire; though the guns of this game are percussion cap weapons (and so fire reliably in all weather, and reload fairly quickly), they don't have the larger box or internal magazines of later weapons. So the only guns that can be fired more than once without reloading are revolvers.

OK, so what kind of action would it be to reload a revolver? I could always just carry like 10 of them and take quick draw/2-weapon fighting, do some bang-bang for several rounds, and then reload them all.

Other question - Would it be possible to get a Light version of a Revovler as a special-order weapon? (Kinda like mithril armour is light?)

Shalimar

First Post
Once revolvers are availible its pretty pointless to use anything else if you can afford them with their high damage and use of dexterity instead of strength. Two Weapon Fighting Swash bucklers dual weilding revolvers are going to be the main fare, not sure if you wanted that or more along the lines of the Three Musketeers with single/double shot pistols and rapiers.

Jemal

Adventurer
Shalimar said:
Once revolvers are availible its pretty pointless to use anything else if you can afford them with their high damage and use of dexterity instead of strength. Two Weapon Fighting Swash bucklers dual weilding revolvers are going to be the main fare
That's pretty much what I proposed early on, actually. My only problemnow is that Revolvers are not light weapons, therefore dual-wielding them is -4 attack, and swash's can't add int to damage.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Before I crawl off and die, I'll sketch the concept I've been playing in the back of my mind:

- A Lyrander ex-steamship man, that is convinced that flight is not only a possibility, but the destiny of his people. Pursues knowledge by hook or crook in order to find out techno- or magical ways of doing so, and secretly harbors a wish to find a relic of the mythic age---An airship. Would probably have been an artificer during the mythic days. Mechanically, an archivist, but likely not tied to any particular church (self-study from cobbled together sources, a scholar more than a priest).

Jemal

Adventurer
stonegod said:
Before I crawl off and die, I'll sketch the concept I've been playing in the back of my mind:

- A Lyrander ex-steamship man, that is convinced that flight is not only a possibility, but the destiny of his people. Pursues knowledge by hook or crook in order to find out techno- or magical ways of doing so, and secretly harbors a wish to find a relic of the mythic age---An airship. Would probably have been an artificer during the mythic days. Mechanically, an archivist, but likely not tied to any particular church (self-study from cobbled together sources, a scholar more than a priest).
Cid?

Remove ads