• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Victorian Eberron (Recruiting Closed - looking for nonamazing)

drothgery

First Post
Jemal said:
OK, so what kind of action would it be to reload a revolver? I could always just carry like 10 of them and take quick draw/2-weapon fighting, do some bang-bang for several rounds, and then reload them all.

In d20 Modern, it's a full round action without a speed loader, or a move action with one; the Quick Reload feat moves things up a category (move action without a speed loader, swift action with one). It seems to me that a speed loader is not all that difficult to make, so I'm probably going to say they're available.

Jemal said:
Other question - Would it be possible to get a Light version of a Revovler as a special-order weapon? (Kinda like mithril armour is light?)

No, at least not to start with. Although making a mithral revolver would be possible, and would make it weigh less, it wouldn't make it any smaller, or game-mechanics 'light'. And as of yet, metalwork isn't quite good enough to make an effective light revolver. The same goes for a breach-loading rifle.

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
Before I crawl off and die, I'll sketch the concept I've been playing in the back of my mind:

- A Lyrander ex-steamship man, that is convinced that flight is not only a possibility, but the destiny of his people. Pursues knowledge by hook or crook in order to find out techno- or magical ways of doing so, and secretly harbors a wish to find a relic of the mythic age---An airship. Would probably have been an artificer during the mythic days. Mechanically, an archivist, but likely not tied to any particular church (self-study from cobbled together sources, a scholar more than a priest).

Well, it may be that certain special materials that are relatively available in Eberron but not in 1850s Earth (soarwood and mithral, most notably) will make construction of powered aircraft (either lighter than air or heavier than air) possible in 830s Eberron. Certainly people are trying...

nonamazing

Explorer
I'd also like to put my name in for consideration. I'm thinking of an older human Marshal who's been a prisoner of war for the last ten or so years. He was taken prisoner during some minor border conflicts between the Icewood Provinces and the Kingdom of Thrane, and is released at the start of the game under the condition that he swear fealty to the Church.

(This idea is meant to be modular. I wanted to have a character that fits into the story, and it looks like we're going to be a group working for the Church, so that's where I went. If your concept has us working for someone else, we can change that bit of background. Basically, I'm trying to design him so that he has a campaign 'hook' built right in.)

I do want him to be from the Icewood Provinces, a dour older man, large and bearded, who in his time was a brilliant leader and master of small scale tactics. His years in solitary confinement have left him rusty, and it remains to be seen whether he still has the potential he once had.

Questions: Do you want us to go ahead and put up full characters now, or are you looking just for concepts at the moment? Is there any way we could adapt the Song of the Heart feat (from the Eberron Campaign Setting) for use with the Marshal? What about adapting the Extra Song feat for extra daily uses of the Marshal's inspiration ability?

Necro_Kinder

First Post
Rifles are single shot? Would it be possible to get a bolt action / lever action rifle for lots of money? Also, how do the archery feats work with fire arms? (such as rapid shot and many shot)

drothgery

First Post
Necro_Kinder said:
Rifles are single shot? Would it be possible to get a bolt action / lever action rifle for lots of money? Also, how do the archery feats work with fire arms? (such as rapid shot and many shot)

I should probably mention that although I'm trying to have pretty good firearms available, I really don't want to get bogged down in rules for gunplay, as what I know about the firearms of the era 9th-century AS Eberron coresponds to is not very expansive, and derived wholely from quick searches online and gaming materials. Hence the very short list of abstract guns (there really ought to be a shotgun on the list, but then I'd have to come up with rules for them or steal them from somewhere), rather than the d20 Modern-esque extensive list of specific models.

Manyshot just doesn't work with guns. Rapid shot works as normal, but unless you've got a revolver, it's not going to do you any good.

Jemal said:
Ok, what's the action to reload a pistol, then?

Reloading any single-shot/internal magazine weapon (which the pistols and rifles of this game are) is, as per d20 Modern convention, a full-round action, or a move action with the Rapid Reload/Quick Reload feat.

Note that this lets you get off five shots per minute without a reload feat (a little worse than the six I've read is typical with weapons like these), and ten with one (somewhat better).

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
nonamazing said:
Questions: Do you want us to go ahead and put up full characters now, or are you looking just for concepts at the moment? Is there any way we could adapt the Song of the Heart feat (from the Eberron Campaign Setting) for use with the Marshal? What about adapting the Extra Song feat for extra daily uses of the Marshal's inspiration ability?

I'm really more intrested in concepts right now (mostly description, but include a character class).

As for adapting Bardic Music-related feats to the Marshal's inspiration ability, it'll be a case by case thing, but for these two we can probably work something out. Feats that are more explicitly lyrical or supernatural won't work with inspiration.

Jemal

Adventurer
I've been considering a gun-slinger, but I'm not thrilled about the pistols reload time... If you have multiple attacks you essentially need a speed-loader revolver and Rapid Reload.

On the other hand, I could be a combo character... Carry a pistol for when I need it, but mostly fight melee...
I also have another concept.

OK, here's my two concepts:
Swashbuckler/fighter(Maybe rogue or scout later) : a non/light-armoured fighter. Pistol & 2 Daggers. Like most women, she is both beautiful and deadly, trained in stealth and precision, and with a heart of gold.

Paladin 4 : One of the 'knights in shining armour'. Yes, they still exist, some orders disdaining the use of these new 'guns' as dishonourable, and keeping to the 'old school'. He would be from one souch order, a 'smite makes right' paladin who is quickly rising within his church, and has a good sense of moral judgement. (Eventually he may go into the Grayguard prc if allowed)

Once I pick between them, I'll make a more indepth concept+background.

ethandrew

First Post
I'd be interested in putting my name into consideration, this campaign seems very meticulously thought out and promises to be quite interestind and entertaining.

My initial concept is quite simple really, he'd be a human fighter on paper. In action, he's the mayor of a frontier town in Western Thrane, lived in the area his whole life. In his mid 30's, he used to be on the other side of the law, mostly thieving and stealing, not too much killing. Now he's a respectable guy, wears suit jackets and all, but not ties, they're too constrictive.

For several years he has been in love with the madame in charge of the "local club", and according to everyone else, the feeling is mutual, yet these two hold some sort of barrier that stops them from ever acting upon this. However, all know that he will do, and has done, anything for her.

Rough around the edges, with a good heart (it routinely stays between 60-70 beats a minute), he doesn't make for the best leader, but he gets the job done.

When he gets the letter from Father Mikel, he knows what must be done in order to ensure his way of life, his little town, and to hopefully get in good favor with the madame. And the church, of course. Definitely the church.

Remove ads