Dr Who - Evolution of the Daleks (spoilers)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I liked this episode - and I love the Daleks.

I'm not sure that I understand exactly why the hybrid dalek Skek went all touchy-feely, considering the nature of the man he merged with, but I sort of understand it. I sort of felt that there could have been a little more made of the dna-merging effect that there was in the season 1 episode 'Dalek'.

I hope that Dalek Khan's next plan is a little more successful than this one, since he is the only dalek left now. Hopefully he can come up with some means of creating more dalek friends which are credible threats! (why did all the dalek-human hybrids march slowly in step, just like the cybermen? Why can't someone creating a fast-moving, agile human hybrid one of these days?)

Not a top episode, but a decent one IMO.

JRR_Talking

First Post
absolutely loved the bit where the two daleks are colluding in the sewer, and one looks back to see if anyone is there before he starts whsipering revolutionary ideas. Almost fell of my chair laughing.

...and then there was one

John

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Anyone remember a long ago episode (may have been Tom Baker or possibly even Pertwee) in which the Doctor is looking at a row of hieroglyphs showing various humanoids. IIRC one of them is a 'cauliflower-headed' cyclops

was this an early appearance of the hybrid showing that oneday they do become a viable race?

horacethegrey

First Post
Damn. That was definitely worth the wait. :)

Great ending to this two parter. And once again some fine acting all around. David Tennant of course was phenomenal, showing shades of rage, anger, compassion and all the other strong emotions the Doctor feels when faced with his greatest enemy. But some applause must go to Eric Loren, who gives a very good performance as the Hybrid Dalek Sec. I actually felt sympathy for his character, especially when he threw away the Dalek concepts of genocide in favor of finding a better way for the Daleks to survive in the future.

Shame he had to die though :( , he would have been an interesting character for future episodes. In fact a lot of people died in this episode. Quite shocked that Solomon bought it, as was the deaths of human dalek hybrids. But it's good that Lazlo didn't bite the big one, and he has a happy ending. As the Doctor said, there's been too much death.

And let me just say, that last scene with the Doctor and Dalek Caan, was worth the entire episode. :D

Huw

First Post
Tonguez said:
Anyone remember a long ago episode (may have been Tom Baker or possibly even Pertwee) in which the Doctor is looking at a row of hieroglyphs showing various humanoids. IIRC one of them is a 'cauliflower-headed' cyclops

was this an early appearance of the hybrid showing that oneday they do become a viable race?

No, that was Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth in City of Death, 'though the resemblance between him and Sek has been commented on elsewhere.

I was vaguely wondering if Sek was to become the face of Boe, but then there's the eye issue.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to comment on the episode! I liked this, very thought provoking. The daleks have tried this several times before, and always end up killing each other, but I think Evolution of the Daleks put a new twist on it.

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
This episode sort of reminded me of a movie serial from the 1930s. All the dashing about, and the happy reunion between Tallulah and Laszlo - though of course in an old serial Laszlo wouldn't have been stuck as a pig-man. ;)

My fiancee and I both blurted out "Elevate me!" when all the suspended bodies were shown. :D

Apparently no one other than me thought the last Dalek's name was Karn - which would have been sort of ironic, since we've seen a planet Karn in the original series.

I liked it that the Doctor decided to offer the remaining Dalek a truce. That was very much in keeping with what his attitude has been for many years, ever since Genesis of the Daleks or perhaps even Power of the Daleks. He's always willing to give the bad guys one more chance to change.

Remove ads