5 Level Prestige Classes - Love or Hate?

Crothian

First Post
I prefer them. The smaller classes seem better built and don't take away so much of the original concept and redefine the character.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I think they're fine. 10 levels is a lot to commit to. Though at the end of 10 levels I'm going to want to see some kind of cool power. After 5 levels I'll be happy with a t-shirt and secret handshake.

I prefer them. They seem to be more tightly focused, don't have as many filler levels, and most importantly can fit easier into a campaign that isn't intended for (or won't make it to) the upper level ranges.

Psion

Adventurer
So long as they encapsulate the concept, no problem whatsoever.

I typically find that I don't run games into the levels where you make the run to 10th. Many publishers also seem to water down early PrCs abilities and try to make it up to you at 10th level; when you never run that high, it's sort of a bummer never seeing an otherwise interesting PrC concept bear fruit. 5 level classes exhibit this less often.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
BiggusGeekus said:
I think they're fine. 10 levels is a lot to commit to. Though at the end of 10 levels I'm going to want to see some kind of cool power. After 5 levels I'll be happy with a t-shirt and secret handshake.
.. and a decoder ring. Gotta have that.

I do not mind them.

NilesB

First Post
5 is a bad number, it minimizes the differences between 1/2 and 3/4 BAB and because rounds disadvantageously for everything, the fifth level has to have really good class abilities to make up for it. As it usually doesn't, 5 level classes are mostly 4 level classes in practice.

Designers seem to make classes 5 levels unthinkingly because it is the default length for a short length prestige class. I wish they would beak the habit and make more 3, 4, and 6 level prestige classes. I'd even like to see some 1-2 level ones as well.

Bacris

First Post
That's a great point, Niles, although I'd personally prefer to see fractional BAB / Saves more commonplace, rather than using the rounding method :)

Me, I like 3, 5, and 10 level PrCs. I tend to play characters from the entire range of levels, so if there's something I really want to take all the way to 10th, i usually can, given enough time :)

Psion

Adventurer
NilesB said:
5 is a bad number, it minimizes the differences between 1/2 and 3/4 BAB and because rounds disadvantageously for everything, the fifth level has to have really good class abilities to make up for it. As it usually doesn't, 5 level classes are mostly 4 level classes in practice.

Yep. In D&D, it might be wise to use the UA fractional accounting convention.

But most classes I like like this aren't combat classes, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

Klaus

First Post
I love 5-level PrClasses with all my body, including my...

Well, you get the idea.

With the 5-level classes, you can mix-n-match them to your concept. For instance, you could have a character with the Invisible Blade and the Master Thrower classes (which, incidently, were originally a single 10-level class), and another with the Master Thrower/Thief-Acrobat classes.

Remove ads