• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5 Level Prestige Classes - Love or Hate?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I totally prefer 3-levels one, followed by 5-level ones. I don't feel PrCs should be long, because they should provide some specialized benefits, tied to the organization of the PrC... and then finish.

And since few games last more than a dozen levels, a shorter PrC is a lot more rewarding to play, since you actually reach your capstone, and can say "I'm a Master of Blah-Blah-Blah".

EricNoah

Adventurer
To add new abilities to the game...

Preference #1 - a feat chain.

Preference #2 - a good base class.

Preference #3 - a short PrC with few prerequisites.

LightPhoenix

First Post
EricNoah said:

I mostly agree, which is why I don't like the five level prestige classes too much. I think they're mostly better off being feats, or feat chains, than a whole class.

Psion

Adventurer
EricNoah said:

I think new base classes are a poor way to add abilities to a game.

Feat chains are nice, but most D&D classes don't get enough feats to exploit them, especially not early on, and many groups don't play into high levels. So in theory, if you did something D20 Modern Style, feat chains would be nice. In practice. in D&D, it doesn't work IME.

Shade said:
I don't really have a preference. I'd prefer the classes to be just as long as they need to be to get the point across. I dislike levels just being there for padding. I wouldn't mind a 1-level prestige class if it did what it needed to do in that one level.

Wow. Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, down to the "wouldn't mind a 1-level PrC if it did what it needed to" comment.

So let me just say QFT. :)

Ace

Adventurer
Crothian said:
I prefer them. The smaller classes seem better built and don't take away so much of the original concept and redefine the character.

Ditto. Most PRC's should be 5 level IMO.

Remove ads