• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5 Level Prestige Classes - Love or Hate?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm with Shade and Mousferatu: the size of the PrCl is irrelevant if the mechanics reflect the flavor and do so efficiently.

Nepenthe

First Post
EricNoah said:
To add new abilities to the game...

Preference #1 - a feat chain.

Preference #2 - a good base class.

Preference #3 - a short PrC with few prerequisites.

Well, I would prefer 1) alternative class feature, 2) feat 3) PrC, 4) new base class, in what I would see the approach of using the "least necessary tool" every time.

That said, there are already too many feats to choose from, but I can't remove it since it would ruin a perfectly good theory otherwise! ;)

I think that the Ordained Champion from Complete Champion is a pretty good example of a good 5-level PrC. You gain something, you switch out something and you lose something over five levels. Afterwards, you can go back to cleric but your character will be decidedly different from somebody with just cleric levels instead.

/N

Given that most campaigns top out at level 10-12, and that most people prefer play in the level 5-8 range, the 5-level PrC is better because you actually have a chance of completing it.

Ideally I'd like to see the requirements reduced, so that characters could qualify for a PrC any time after 3rd level. This would mean a 5 level PrC could be in play from levels 4-8, which would enable the player to actually use the kind of concept he or she had when creating the character.

Nanoc

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I like them to be as many levels as it takes, and for most I think it is less than 10 (though for a couple 12 might be right, too - who knows. . .)

Since I create/adapt my own PrCs for my setting most are 6 to 8 levels, with a handful being 3, 9 or 10 levels.

Tharkun

First Post
Blech. I avoid them when I can. Unless they are really special then I'll consider them. I've used a single PrC since 3.0 came out IIRC.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
el-remmen said:
I like them to be as many levels as it takes, and for most I think it is less than 10 (though for a couple 12 might be right, too - who knows. . .)
The Moonspeaker in Races of Eberron is a 12 level PrC - one for each of the moons.
-blarg

Kaodi

Hero
I think perhaps that the multi-fix classes do need more than five levels. For instance, if you were to make a Mystic Theurge with only five levels, they would be some pretty crazy, messed up levels to bring a cleric 8/wizard 7/mystic theurge 5 up to par. I suppose the real question, in that case, is if the multi-fix classes should be limited to 10 levels.

wildstarsreach

First Post
I'd like to see some of the 10 level PrC's retuned to a 5 or 6 level PrC such as the Bladesinger for example. Having it at a 5 level with 3 spell level progression and the abilities and full BA would make it more attractive to play while not any where near as powerful as abjurant champion, it would make some great concept PrC's from weak and less desirable to play to a nice add.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads