Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's split the remaining 10 points between Hide and Intimidate, then.

Going with ability focus (possession) for one of the feats should bump up that DC. Otherwise, I'll write up some tactics text, and we're basically done.

I'd go with Treasure: none (or as victim), LA: -, and Advancement: 9-24 Medium. CR?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great! Moving on, we'll hit the variant golems from Imagine #19. Here's the first...

Gem Hylem
Freq: very rare
# App: 1
AC: -2
Move: 18"/18" (MC: A)
Hit Dice: 8
% In Lair: Nil
Treasure Type: Nil
# Attacks: 1
Dmg/Att: 2-20
SA: Spells
SD: +2 or better weapon to hit
MR: 40%
Int: Semi-
Align: Neutral
Size: S (2-6 inches)
Psionics: Nil
Level/XP Value: VII/1920

The makers of gem hylems are exclusively illusionists of at least 14th level. They take 1 month to create, costing 25,000 gp in the process. The illusionist, assuming there is no magical tome available to enable a short cut to be taken, needs to cast the following spells: major creation, light, fear, confusion, maze, demi-shadow magic, and alter reality. Like their cousins, they understand and obey all commands given by their creator.

At will, gem hylems can once per round use the following abilities: light, fear, confusion, and maze; as a 10th level illusionist. In addition, the hylem can attack once per round with a lightning strike (no save) for 2-20 damage; it has a range of 6". Only hit by +2 or better weapons, but blunt weapons cause double damage. On destroying (deactivating) they hylem, a 5,000 gp gem will be left in its place.

Description: These animated beings appear as perfect examples of their gem type, though they are found constantly spinning furiously in the air.

From Imagine Magazine #19, October 1984.

dhaga

First Post
Description: These animated beings appear as perfect examples of their gem type, though they are found constantly spinning furiously in the air.

I am trying to picture these creatures in my mind. Are they just little gems, or little gems with little arms, legs, and heads?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I believe they are little gems.

Here's some additonal text from the introduction to the article:

It is possible, however, to produce animate 'non-living' beings, for example a witch's broom. This last group, which has been neglected to a large degree in the past, I have titled Hylem, short for hylomorphic animation.

Hylems

These are objects that are animated, but are not in the form of living creatures. Hylems are seen with an ephemeral existence among a number of spells like: animate object, animate rock, wizard's ey, and the Bigby's hand spells. Furthermore, this animation is also present in a number of magic items, namely: broom of animated attack, broom of flying, carpet of flying, ioun stones, Quaal's feather tokens, magical ropes and even a sword of dancing...It seems that hylems are classed as magic items rather than monsters. With most examples, this is very plausible, but what of those that can be given limited commands, specific to a situation, and act upon them accordingly. One such hylomorphic being is the gem hylem

dhaga

First Post
Initial thoughts:

Type: Diminutive Construct
Movement: Fly x ft. (Perfect)
Attack: Electric Ray (ranged touch) 3d6
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: DR 10 / magic and bludgeoning, Immune to Electricity

Spell-like abilities: Cast as Xth level sorcerer. At will – Light. 3/day – Fear, Confusion

Roll on 1dx on table to determine what variety of gem the Hylem is created from (and therefore what type it leaves behind when destroyed):
Ruby
Emerald
Sapphire
Diamond
Topaz
Amethyst
etc

Mortis

First Post
dhaga said:
Roll on 1dx on table to determine what variety of gem the Hylem is created from (and therefore what type it leaves behind when destroyed):
Ruby
Emerald
Sapphire
Diamond
Topaz
Amethyst
etc
Maybe we could elaborate on the initial gem hylems and give them spells/spell-like abilities based on their respective gem dragon? Or perhaps they could be a 'sub-species' created from gem dragon scales rather than real gems?

Regards
Mortis

RavinRay

Explorer
Hmm, fluff-wise they seem like magical counterparts of psicrystals. If we go by Mortis' suggestion we can give them low-level spell-like abilities that are either the closest analogs of gem dragon psionics or spells that are used as psi-like abilities. Some examples.
  • amethyst: invisibility, suggestion
  • crystal/quartz: charm person, color spray
  • emerald: fog cloud, legend lore
  • sapphire: detect teleporation (as detect scrying, but for teleportation effects only
  • topaz: feather fall

Remove ads