• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
For a little more progress (I guess I'm the only one interested in this monster :eek: )...

A Gebbeth has one particular 'ability' that is more terrifying than any other. In times of stress - when wounded, for example - there is a 1 in 6 chance that the creature's features will start to fade. The process takes 3 rounds in total, at the end of which the face will be completely blank. Anyone witnessing such a change should save vs spells or suffer the effects of a blight spell due to the unnerving prospect of an opponent's features altering without apparent reason.

The 3.5e blight clearly isn't what we want, unless the witness is a plant. :D Not sure what the appropriate level spell should be (the current blight is 4th/5th level, depending on the spell list), but I'll choose doom because the flavor seems right.

Unnerving Fade (Su): When in stress (as determined by the DM, for example when wounded), there is a 1 in 6 chance per round (cumulative) that the possessed creature's features will fade. At the end of three rounds, the face will be completely blank. Anyone observing this fading is affected as if by a doom spell (CL 3rd, DC 18) (The DC is 10+1/2 HD + Cha modifier). The gebbeth has no control over this ability.

freyar

GrayLinnorm said:
In D&D, blight was the reverse of bless. Doom certainly fits.

Probably should be bane, then, but doom seems a little better, given that this is supposed to be spooky and all. Thanks!

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
For a little more progress (I guess I'm the only one interested in this monster :eek: )...

I got a bit behind on this one so I'm still playing catch up.

I'll compile all your ideas in Homebrew for ease-of-reference.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Let's bump the AC up to 20. Why not?

So...+3 profane bonus to make up the difference? Or bump Dex to 18 and Cha to 22?

freyar said:
For the touch attack while possessing a body:

Corporeal Touch (Su): A gebbeth in possession of a body has a touch attack, as well. The victim must make a Will save (DC 15 + gebbeth’s Cha modifier) or suffer 1 point of either Int or Con drain (gebbeth's choice). When either Int or Con is reduced to 0 by this drain, the victim dies.

Or should we just call this Ability Drain? ;)

I'd go with ability drain and just state that its incorporeal touch becomes a melee touch when used in possession of a body.

Mortis

First Post
Freyar said:
(I guess I'm the only one interested in this monster )
I wouldn't say that - I've had a nice long weekend off - back to work today.

Shade said:
So...+3 profane bonus to make up the difference? Or bump Dex to 18 and Cha to 22?
Bump the stats
I'd go with ability drain and just state that its incorporeal touch becomes a melee touch when used in possession of a body.
Wouldn't/shouldn't it lose the incorporeal subtype whilst possessing a body?

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

freyar

Mortis said:
Wouldn't/shouldn't it lose the incorporeal subtype whilst possessing a body?

Yeah, we should probably note that in possession blurb.

Glad to know others are interested after all! This monster is kind of a pet project for me; I'd thought about writing it up even before I knew there was a version floating around already...

dhaga

First Post
With the Unnerving Fade ability -- if the Gebbeth is driven out of the body, does the body gain its features back? This should be included in the descriptive text for the ability.

freyar

dhaga said:
With the Unnerving Fade ability -- if the Gebbeth is driven out of the body, does the body gain its features back? This should be included in the descriptive text for the ability.

Good idea. The original text isn't specific about driving the gebbeth out or even if the possessed creature dies if the possessed body is reduced to 0 hp. Probably should work this out via magic jar and add it to the description of possession, too.

dhaga

First Post
I would say if the body is reduced to 0 hp, it would die, and the original soul would not be able to return to the body. The next question is: what happens to the gebbeth at that point? I would say it would be driven out, but probably not killed; just as a ghost does not die if its possessed vessel dies.

Remove ads