• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
We should probably remove the bit that the victim has to have an INT of 10 or less, since otherwise the spellcasting bit is a bit weird for wizards...
I agree - it will probably become on a failed Will save as part of the possession - which we can steal from the ghost :)

Regards
Mortis

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Echohawk had requested the golems and hylems next, but if he's OK with the diversion, so am I.
I don't have any preference for what gets done next. I did suggest that the totems and hylems from that golem article might be interesting to update, but I certainly don't mind some other creatures being done first :).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
I don't have any preference for what gets done next. I did suggest that the totems and hylems from that golem article might be interesting to update, but I certainly don't mind some other creatures being done first :).

So be it! :D

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, for the possession ability, why don't we just pretty much use the ghost's malevolence?

First, though, I guess we want abilities. How about Str - Con - Dex 10-12 Int 18 Wis 10-12 Cha 14-16 ?

freyar

Mortis said:
Must be an undead outsider :)

I suggest Con 16

Oh, that was just my goof-up with the incorporeality. :eek:

Con 16 sounds good.

Adapting from the ghost:
Possession (Su): As a result of the gebbeth's incorporeal touch attack, the gebbeth can merge its body with a creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the gebbeth’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + gebbeth’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same gebbeth’s possession for 24 hours. If the save fails, the gebbeth vanishes into the target’s body and takes control of it.

Last edited:

freyar

freyar said:
Possession (Su): As a result of the gebbeth's incorporeal touch attack, the gebbeth can merge its body with a creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the gebbeth’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + gebbeth’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same gebbeth’s possession for 24 hours. If the save fails, the gebbeth vanishes into the target’s body and takes control of it.

Actually, I think we need to edit from magic jar a little, after looking at the spell description.

Possession (Su): As a result of the gebbeth's incorporeal touch attack, the gebbeth can merge its body with a creature (as part of the attack action). This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the gebbeth’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle and as noted below. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + gebbeth’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same gebbeth’s possession for 24 hours. If the save fails, the gebbeth vanishes into the target’s body and takes control of it.

Unlike the magic jar spell, the gebbeth can use all the target's special abilities (Ex, Su, and Sp included) and can access the target's skills and feats. If the target is a spell caster, the gebbeth can use any spells that the victim has prepared at the time of possession; the gebbeth can also cast and prepare arcane spells as normal for the victim.

How does it look? And do you think we should put in the 1/2 for the number of spells prepared as in the original description?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I boosted the stats a bit, as it is more powerful than both a wraith and spectre (other incorporeal benchmarks).

It's AC tranlates to 20 if we stick to the conversion guidelines. Currently with Dex 16 and Cha 18, its AC is 17. We could boost these stats further, give it a +3 profane bonus to make up the difference, or just stick with 17. What do you think?

freyar

Shade said:
I boosted the stats a bit, as it is more powerful than both a wraith and spectre (other incorporeal benchmarks).

Hmmm, I guess you're comparing to an older edition of the wraith or spectre. This just seems too different for me to compare... OTOH, this was supposed to be a pretty nasty thing.

It's AC tranlates to 20 if we stick to the conversion guidelines. Currently with Dex 16 and Cha 18, its AC is 17. We could boost these stats further, give it a +3 profane bonus to make up the difference, or just stick with 17. What do you think?

Let's bump the AC up to 20. Why not?

For the touch attack while possessing a body:

Corporeal Touch (Su): A gebbeth in possession of a body has a touch attack, as well. The victim must make a Will save (DC 15 + gebbeth’s Cha modifier) or suffer 1 point of either Int or Con drain (gebbeth's choice). When either Int or Con is reduced to 0 by this drain, the victim dies.

Or should we just call this Ability Drain? ;)

Remove ads