Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's consider ability scores. Here are some other incorporeal undead...

Shadow: Str —, Dex 14, Con —,Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 13
Wraith: Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15
Spectre: Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15

Maybe Dex 16, Int 4-6, Wis 12, Cha 13?

Last edited:

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Maybe Dex 16, Int 4-6, Wis 12, Cha 13?
Well the original has no Intelligence, and IIRC we agreed that the animated corpse would be mindless - it might be easier if all three elements were mindless (including the brain).

If so, then the standard mindless undead abilities of Int -, WIs 10, Cha 1?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's the problem...the save DCs should all be Cha-based.

The knell beetles in MMIII have Int -, but also have Wis 11, Cha 11.

How's that sound?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I removed the unholy toughness ability since it doesn't have a Cha bonus.

To help simulate the "1dX+6 Hit Dice", should we give it Toughness as a bonus feat?

Note that with no Cha bonus, it also lacks a deflection bonus to AC.

The save DCs are a rather anemic 10. We could go the racial bonus route, or grant Ability Focus as bonus feat(s).

The more I look at it, the more I think we need a bump to Cha.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why don't we give it Wis and Cha more like the spectre, put back unholy toughness, and maybe give it Ability Focus if we think it needs to be harder?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Why don't we give it Wis and Cha more like the spectre, put back unholy toughness, and maybe give it Ability Focus if we think it needs to be harder?

I think we can get away with it. I just found another mindless creature with high scores in the other mental stats, the astral kraken from Planar Handbook (Int -, Wis 14, Cha 12).

So how about Wis 13, Cha 15, Ability Focus (malevolence), and unholy toughness for 2 more hit points? That would raise the DCs to 14 for malevolence and 12 for essence drain. We can drop standard Toughness, which feels a bit wrong for an incorporeal creature.

Remove ads