• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm...

I suppose that could work. It seems to me (and I could be wrong), that the "corpse" is the least important of the three parts, so it seems odd to base the thing's power off it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
I suppose that could work. It seems to me (and I could be wrong), that the "corpse" is the least important of the three parts, so it seems odd to base the thing's power off it.

IMHO, yes and no. The corpse is certainly the least interesting part, since we've "been there and done that" before basically. However, it may well be the most powerful part. Also, tying the shade abilities to the base undead (using whatever formula) makes some thematic sense, in that the shades essentially come from the intellect and personality of the corpse.

freyar

Well, it's a bit crude, but there was the earlier suggestion of 12+HD/2 (round up?) + relevant ability bonus (min 0) of the base undead.

Examples:
Human Zombie (2HD, Wis 10, Cha 1) gives shades with Wis 13, Cha 13.
Human Skeleton same but only 1HD.
Vampire Spawn (4HD, Wis 13, Cha 14) gives shades with Wis 15, Cha 16.
etc.

I guess I'd make the whole "canopic template" including the shades a CR+2, but I'm still not comfortable with the more intelligent undead since they lose their strategy. Maybe we should say they use their special abilities (like dominate for the vampire or spawn for example) at an instinctive level.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I guess I'd make the whole "canopic template" including the shades a CR+2, but I'm still not comfortable with the more intelligent undead since they lose their strategy. Maybe we should say they use their special abilities (like dominate for the vampire or spawn for example) at an instinctive level.

We might have to do something like that. Otherwise, we might as well just use the zombie template and be done with it.

How about they retain their Ex and Su abilities, but lose any spell-like abilities? I can't really see a mindless creature firing off SLAs, but a breath weapon or energy drain could be instinctual.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
How about they retain their Ex and Su abilities, but lose any spell-like abilities? I can't really see a mindless creature firing off SLAs, but a breath weapon or energy drain could be instinctual.
That sounds good.

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Shade said:
We might have to do something like that. Otherwise, we might as well just use the zombie template and be done with it.

Sounds good to me.

freyar

Looking pretty good.

CR for this thing? And should the shades have a separate CR or be included in the template CR adjustment?

Remove ads