Balancing E6

Zelc

First Post
Epic 6 rules

This thread is for nitty-gritty rules and balance issues for E6. Since we can only assume that people have just Core and the SRD, we should balance the system around that. Feel free to bring up issues with other books though.

Monks and Soulknives
EDIT: I realized I made a horrible mistake with the Soulknife TWF in the spreadsheet. It should be much more attractive now :).

If you look at the Martial Damage Excel sheet I made, you'll notice a couple things. First, even with full BAB progressions, the Soulknife and the Monk (with a capstone feat that removes their Flurry penalty) still fall behind on expected melee damage versus the Fighter and Barbarian. Since schticks consist almost entirely of dealing melee damage, they should get full BAB progressions.

TWF Flurry Monks actually come really close to the Fighter's damage output. Rather than punishing the entire class for one build style, I'd just prevent Flurry from being used with TWF. Something should be done to make up for the Monk's lower damage output. My suggestion is to allow them to Flurry when they make a single attack as a standard action or as part of a charge (so they get 2 attacks instead of 1). This would emphasize their mobility, which seems to fit with the flavor of the class. If you have other ideas, go ahead and say them! :)

By the way, the lower damage output for Soulknives isn't as big a deal because they have really good spike (burst, unsustainable) damage. With some feats, they can easily do 49 damage on one touch attack. It's balanced by the fact that they have to spend a couple of rounds basically doing nothing and drawing AoOs before they can pump out such damage again, but they can still function afterwards.

Two-Handed Fighting vs. Two-Weapon Fighting
By the way, note I didn't take Power Attack into account in the spreadsheet. Doing so would probably benefit Two-Handed Fighting more than Two-Weapon Fighting. IMO, Two-Weapon Fighting should do a bit less damage since it splits the difference on offense/defense with THF and Sword-and-Board if you take the Two-Weapon Defense feat.

LA and Point Buy
In E6, instead of taking up levels, LA imposes a penalty to the point buy. We have:
Code:
LA Point buy
+0 32
+1 25
+2 18
+3 10
+4 00
These penalties are not high enough.

Easy example: take the Pixie, with LA +4. We end up with ability scores of 4 Str, 16 Dex, 8 Con, 14 Int, 12 Wis, 14 Cha. Not bad for a Rogue, Scout (with Rapid Reload), or possibly even Sorceror or Wizard. And then comes the kicker: SR 15+HD, Permanent Greater Invisibility that doesn't break even when you attack, DR 10/cold iron, Fly 60' (Good), some decent spell-like abilities with CL 8, and Dodge and Weapon Focus as bonus feats to boot. This would make an insane Rogue, and clearly a Pixie Rogue even with those stats would be better than a Human Rogue.

LA +3 has the Half-Dragon. We can go with a base of 14/10/10/8/8/8, for an end result of 22/10/12/10/8/10. That happens to be comparable to stats you get with 32 point buy, plus you get a ton of cool abilities to boot. If you get 6 point buy instead of 10, it might be better balanced.

Even LA +2 has problems. Compare a Psion with the Phrenic template and one without. Now, the description says that usually creatures that advance by classes won't have the template, but it provides an LA and it's pretty balanced in normal D&D. So we end up with the Phrenic Psion with 9/12/12/18/10/12 versus a normal Psion with 8/14/14/18/10/10. Not much difference, right? Then throw in the Phrenic Psion's PR 10+HD and Psi-like abilities and it's not much of a contest.

So, I suggest removing the LA +4 option and instead use the following table:
Code:
LA PB PB*
+0 32 32
+1 25 24
+2 18 16
+3 10 06
*Use the lower PB amount if the total ability score adjustment of the race or template is greater than +4.

The Bad Psionic Feats, and Extra Slot
There are a couple of really bad psionic feats for E6: Psionic Body and Psionic Talent. Both scale based on the number of feats you have, and in E6 you have lots of feats. Psionic Body gives you 2 HP per Psionic Feat you have. After 20 Psionic Feats (easily reachable), you get an additional 40 HP. For reference, a Fighter with 10 Con gets 37 HP. Psionic Talent gives you 1/2*n*(n+3) power points in total, where n is the number of times you have the feat. So, take it say 15 times, and you get 135 power points on top of what you had before. That's almost enough for 20 overchanneled full-pp powers. Take it 5 more times and you'll get a total of 230 power points. Obviously, this is bad.

I suggest the following change of Psionic Body:
Add to Benefits:
The hit points you gain from this feat cannot exceed two times your psionic class's key ability score modifier (Intelligence for psion, Wisdom for psychic warrior or if you used the Wild Talent feat or a racial ability to qualify for this feat, and Charisma for wilder). If you have multiple psionic classes or key ability scores, use your highest key ability score to determine your benefit from this feat.

I suggest replacing Psionic Talent with this:
Mental Talent
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells or manifest powers.

Benefits: Treat your ability scores as being 4 points higher for the purpose of determining bonus spell slots and bonus power points.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.
It's actually much simpler than it looks. For power points, this works out to be 1 additional power point per manifester level. For spell slots, if you look at the chart, you'll notice you gain an additional spell slot of level X for every 8 points in the ability score. So, this can work out in one of two ways. Either you get a 1st level spell slot every other time and you get a 2nd and 3rd level slot every other time, or you get a 1st and 2nd level spell slot every other time and you get a 3rd level spell slot every other time.

For the casters with only first level spell slots, we have this:
Extra Slot
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells.

Benefits: You gain one extra level 0 or level 1 spell slot in your daily allotment.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times.

Whoo! That's all I have for now. Anyone else have some thoughts?

Attachments

• E6 Martial Balance.xls
    55.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
Just a few --

With Monks, it is worth considering that their Stunning Fist-type feats give them some unique attack options that fighters lack, and their all-touch AC/good saves/immunity to being disarmed does give them at least a different set of strengths than the Fighter/Barb, which really are all about the damage. Is it a good idea to balance Monks on the damage when they get so many cool toys compared to the straight damage dealers? Also, are you looking at the damages for Monks with 2d6 fist damage from taking Improved Natural Attack?

(Soulknives, I'll not disagree with -- they've needed full BAB since day 1)

I think your LA analysis is interesting, though I'm not sure a Pixie would be allowable anyways, considering that Greater Invis doesn't exist in standard E6. As long as LA-heavy characters remain compelling alternatives without ever being the most optimal choice all the time, your point-buy tweaks are working.

Regarding the Mental Talent, wouldn't it be a lot more intuitively obvious if the feat just granted PP = manifester level, (or level's worth of spell slots = 1/2 caster level)? The +4 to stat thing won't be immediately obvious to a player who doesn't know all the ins and outs of the system, and at the very least, needs a page reference.

Last edited:

I was under the impression that Flurry of Blows was TWF for unarmed fighting? If so, it wouldn't make sense to have it stack with itself. As for the Pixie, well, they're a bad choice for PC race in any campaign, so I don't see why a pathological case argues for the balance in PB or lack thereof. That being said, LA +4 could certainly go the way of the Dodo.

Zelc

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
With Monks, it is worth considering that their Stunning Fist-type feats give them some unique attack options that fighters lack, and their all-touch AC/good saves/immunity to being disarmed does give them at least a different set of strengths than the Fighter/Barb, which really are all about the damage. Is it a good idea to balance Monks on the damage when they get so many cool toys compared to the straight damage dealers? Also, are you looking at the damages for Monks with 2d6 fist damage from taking Improved Natural Attack?
I was looking at 2d6 fist damage with INA. I don't think the Monk's perks are enough to justify them not getting full BAB. Let's put it this way: if they don't get full BAB, they do around 50% the damage of a Greatsword-wielding Fighter. Yes, that's half. With a no-penalty Flurry. With full BAB, they do an average of 75-80% of the damage of a THF Fighter, with lower damage versus higher ACs and vice versa.

If you still aren't convinced, consider this. Stunning in effect requires you to bypass two layers of defense: your opponent's full AC and his saving throw. Plus not everyone will take Stunning Fist. Yes, Monks are not that easy to kill. But being "not easy to kill" is not fun to play because it's a passive ability. The only thing Monks actively do is hit stuff in melee, and if they can't do that well, then they aren't fun to play.

Their benefits might be enough to just give them full BAB and leave it at that (i.e. not give them an extra attack on standard action or charge attacks), but they really need that full BAB. I'm undecided whether they should get that mini-pounce ability. Thoughts?

I think your LA analysis is interesting, though I'm not sure a Pixie would be allowable anyways, considering that Greater Invis doesn't exist in standard E6. As long as LA-heavy characters remain compelling alternatives without ever being the most optimal choice all the time, the point-buy rule is working.
Remember, the Pixie's Greater Invisibility (Su) is a special quality, not a spell. Even without it, you're still getting pretty good stats (for a Rogue or spellcaster), some decent spell-like abilities, enough SR to dodge most spells, some good DR, and a permanent fly speed. I really doubt you can balance the LA +4 creatures with point buy alone. And while I think the point buy rule is an interesting way to balance the other LA levels, the original penalty wasn't sufficient for creatures with good ability bonuses.

Regarding the Mental Talent, wouldn't it be a lot more intuitively obvious if the feat just granted PP = manifester level, (or level's worth of spell slots = 1/2 caster level)? The +4 to stat thing won't be immediately obvious to a player who doesn't know all the ins and outs of the system, and at the very least, needs a page reference.
There were two reasons I did this. First, the wording is a bit easier this way. For power points, it'd be unclear whether the feat "updates" when you gain manifester levels. For spell slots, it could either lead to a spell slots per day that looks like 6/6/20 (maybe not a big deal, but I don't like it :p), or it could be horribly difficult to word.

The second reason is I didn't want to punish hybrid casters or psionic characters. A Cleric 3/Wizard 3 or Wizard 3/Psion 3 gives up enough as it is (not only 3rd level spells, but also capstone feats). They give up straight-up power for versatility and more spells/powers per day, and I don't want to take that advantage away from them.

You bring up a good point though. The feat should have a note explaining what it does, so it does become obvious for even newer players.

EDIT:
Malhost Zormaeril said:
I was under the impression that Flurry of Blows was TWF for unarmed fighting? If so, it wouldn't make sense to have it stack with itself. As for the Pixie, well, they're a bad choice for PC race in any campaign, so I don't see why a pathological case argues for the balance in PB or lack thereof. That being said, LA +4 could certainly go the way of the Dodo.
I'm pretty sure the FAQ clarifies Flurry stacks with TWF (or at least there was confusion over whether they stacked or not), and they are different things. Pixies are usually bad choices, but because their LA is replaced by a point buy penalty in E6, they have the same number of class level as everyone else, just with worse stats. So they suddenly become REAL good.

Wow that required a ton of edits. Apologies if I caught anyone reading in the middle of them.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
Quick question for you, Zelc -- would you be interested in helping me create a basic "Dervish" class for my E6 campaign?

Ideally, what I'd like to do is create a capable full-BAB light-armor damage dealing class.

Things that I'd like for it to have:

* A dervish-dance ability that kicks in early on that lets them make full attacks while moving, BUT one that is worded such that it doesn't become a "splash" ability for other classes.
* Increased speed like a monk or barbarian (though perhaps only while "dancing")
* Two-weapon fighting as a bonus feat (I don't want to encourage 2-handed power attackers w/dervish dance)
* Skirmish +1d6 somewhere in the class levels, to increase the viability of their damage output.
* A two-weapon rend ability, as in E6 there's no way for anyone to pick that up.

Basically, a dervish would be a very mobile but lightly armored fighter focused around dual wielding, with a slight deserty flavor. It should be on par with barbarian THF damage, but with less staying power.

Zelc

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Quick question for you, Zelc -- would you be interested in helping me create a basic "Dervish" class for my E6 campaign?
I don't have much experience with designing classes, but I'll see what I can come up with. This is a base class, right?

Kunimatyu

First Post
Zelc said:
I don't have much experience with designing classes, but I'll see what I can come up with. This is a base class, right?

Indeed.

For the basics, I'm thinking d8 HD, 4+Int skills(as barbarian), full BAB, and a good Reflex save, possibly good Reflex and Fort(as ranger).

The trick is figuring out is what abilities kick in at what level, and how to keep the class good without being overpowered.

In retrospect, I'd like to throw in Endurance somewhere, so the class is naturally good at surviving harsh conditions.

Zelc

First Post
Oh fun. I thought Rage was a +2/+2 bonus, but it's really a +4/+4 bonus. So, now the Barbarian is ahead in damage by quite a bit (around 15%). (By the way, to reduce the benefit of dipping, you might want to drop it down to a +2/+2 bonus at level 1 then bump it to +4/+4 at level 5, and give them an extra use of it starting from level 1.) I don't think giving Fighters access to Greater Weapon Specialization is a good idea, so maybe giving Fighters feats that improve their use of combat maneuvers beyond the Improved X bonus would be a better idea.

Remove ads