• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And the mystery race is...hated

Abstraction

First Post
Seriously, was there any possible announcement of the mystery race that wasn't going to met with calls for drawing and quartering WOTC? So the race will be dragonborn. How bad can that be? I would have liked gnomes in my PHB, but apparently I am a minority. So I deal with it. Okay, start the endless argument about WOTC broke into your living room and ruined your game...

JoeGKushner

First Post
No, I think you're right.

It just seems to have struck some people, like myself, from coming out of left feild.

Although it shouldn't have with the whole dragon comet egg thing in the Grand History of the Realms made part of cannon and Paladine telling his followers to check it out.

I don't "hate" them with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but I find it interesting that on one hand WoTC is going, "Point of light" and on the other going "high fantasy" as a dragon based PC is very high fantasy.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
but I find it interesting that on one hand WoTC is going, "Point of light" and on the other going "high fantasy" as a dragon based PC is very high fantasy.
I think you were getting "point of light" confused for a genre when it's a playstyle/campaign style. It operates on a separate axis from the high-low fantasy spectrum.

BryonD

Hero
HeavenShallBurn said:
I think you were getting "point of light" confused for a genre when it's a playstyle/campaign style. It operates on a separate axis from the high-low fantasy spectrum.
I agree.

You can easily have high fantasy and big "here there be monsters" uncharted lands in the same campaign.

JoeGKushner

First Post
BryonD said:
I agree.

You can easily have high fantasy and big "here there be monsters" uncharted lands in the same campaign.

But what if the monsters are the PCs?

In a standard 'Hyboria" clone, a group of tielfings and dragonborn aren't going to walk into a town non-chalant.

Or at least that's the way I'm seeing it.

I mean, how would these people, who are isolated, hence the whole points of light thing, know which freaky looking monstrous race not to shoot on sight?

Doug McCrae

Legend
JoeGKushner said:
I mean, how would these people, who are isolated, hence the whole points of light thing, know which freaky looking monstrous race not to shoot on sight?
Because it's an isolated community of humans, elves, halflings, tieflings and dragonborn.

BryonD

Hero
JoeGKushner said:

In a standard 'Hyboria" clone, a group of tielfings and dragonborn aren't going to walk into a town non-chalant.

Can you point me to a WotC quote containing "standard Hyboria clone"?
The way I see it you can have freaky looking monstrous races in a world that has big areas of uncharted "here there be monsters". Your reply doesn't make me think that it fits any less whatsoever.

I also think that individual campaigns almost always require some degree of customization. Always have and always will. It won't be my ideal out of the box, but it doesn't have to be.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
JoeGKushner said:
Neither would elves, dwarfs and halflings. You don't see many of those in Hyboria.

med stud

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

A point of light doesn't have to be a small village, it could also be a kingdom or a trade guild or something.

In a small village people might be very sceptical against a dragonman but they are probably sceptical against dwarves and elves as well.

And, as BryonD said, WotC hasn't said anything about Hyboria clones. You can't give WotC crap for something if you haven't got facts straight IMO...

Remove ads