• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And the mystery race is...hated

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
So...how many of you have played a dragonborn or played with a player who has run one (from "Races of the Dragon")?

(My answer: 0)

Rechan

Adventurer
Henry said:
Old fan of Dragonlance, so minotaurs are cool.
To Dragonlance players, and a few others. But to the "OMG VIDEOGAAAAAME' types, not so much. There would still be complaints.

Drow? Given the number of misunderstood good drow PCs floating around in D&D-land, I doubt they would have caused much upset.
Have you not been listening to the whining? "OMg 4 types of elves in the PHB :(" "Drow are just angsty Drizzt fellators", etc. I only think furries or Warforged would have garnered such a bellyache.

Rechan

Adventurer
DaveMage said:
So...how many of you have played a dragonborn or played with a player who has run one (from "Races of the Dragon")?
Well, I just haven't played with enough people really. But, there been a higher point buy in the last game I played in, I would've went with a dragonborn Dragon Shaman.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
DaveMage said:

Ditto.

Well, I don't hate the dragonborn... but they're completely unexpected - and I don't know what to make of it. I'll probably just ignore their existence. They don't vibe with me, nor do I dislike them - I'm utterly emotionless towards them - they're not remarkable enough to love or hate.

*shrug*

Cheers, LT.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
DaveMage said:

To echo what Dave has said here, have any of the whole Dragon series of books been received particularly positively? Did I just miss that one? I thought that "Races of the Dragon" was received with mostly a "meh" response...was that just a misperception on my part?

I am somewhat disappointed with the results of this, because I've always thought that your core books should have classes, spells and races that are, well, core to the genre. Did I just miss out on a whole series of Dragonman novels or movies?

Of course there is still T R O G D O R, who is pretty cool.

"When BURNINATION has forsaken the land, only one guy will remain, and you'll play him in 4E!"

Color me a little confused at this news...

:-/

--Steve

Rechan

Adventurer
At this point we don't know what their fluff is, folks. They've changed Tiefling background info, and they've changed Elven background info (They're wood elves, not mages in trees). So it reasons that they may have changed the Dragonborn fluff.

Next month we'll 2-3 pages or so on them and then we can have a coniption fit about it.

(I bought Races of the Dragon for the Kobolds, and was disappointed with the -2 con being tacked on in addition to the -4 to Str. The Spellscales and Dragonborn were "eh" to me.)

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mourn said:
Half of Greek mythology is explained by horny gods, so why can't at least one race be explained by horny dragons?
"My people prefer the term horned dragons." *points to horns*

Cheers, -- N

Kunimatyu

First Post
If they're really more like lizardmen that occasionally manifest draconic features, I'm down with it. In fact, "Dragonborn" sounds more like a name lizardfolk would use for themselves -- who wants to compare themselves to a lizard when you can use a dragon?

People hopping into eggs, I don't like so much (depending on the campaign world of course), but unless they allow for Small dragonborn, I honestly doubt that'll be an issue, and don't think the egg thing will be the focus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads