Still no SRD for 3rd party companies

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Good.

Maybe it'll keep 3rd-party companies from jumping the gun and releasing a "we got this 4e book out before WotC's similar core book" book that's full of innacuracies and errors.

**coughcoughCreatureCollectioncoughcough**

In fact, I hope they wait until after 4e is released to the general public to release the SRD m'self.

Fathead

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
In fact, I hope they wait until after 4e is released to the general public to release the SRD m'self.

The 3rd party publishers have employees to pay. The later they receive the SRD, the more it pushes back their release schedule. The further their release schedule gets pushed back, the longer they have to go with very little money coming in.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Nightchilde-2 said:
Maybe it'll keep 3rd-party companies from jumping the gun and releasing a "we got this 4e book out before WotC's similar core book" book that's full of innacuracies and errors.

Well, if that's what WotC has in mind, maybe they could you know... say so to Third-party publishers instead of telling them "it's coming". Now that said, that's a rather knee-jerk reaction of mine: I don't actually believe that's WotC's intent, in the first place. I don't want to, in fact.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd be shocked if they receive it before the PHB is completely finalized. I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing, either; revision tracking between a SRD, the master PHB document, and outside publishers would be a logistical nightmare.

BadMojo

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
Good.

Well, you may see some companies rushing products out the door trying to release close the the core book launch. If publishers get the SRD when the PHB is on shelves I wouldn't be suprised if they'd feel pressure to get a book to print to get in on the initial popularity of 4E.

Pinotage

Explorer
BadMojo said:
Well, you may see some companies rushing products out the door trying to release close the the core book launch. If publishers get the SRD when the PHB is on shelves I wouldn't be suprised if they'd feel pressure to get a book to print to get in on the initial popularity of 4E.

I would expect the SRD to be released close to the time that the core books get shipped to warehouses and distributors. That way they're not on the shelves yet, and 3rd party publishers get to release something in conjunction with the 4e core books. One would imagine that WotC might be thinking that 'Hey, if we release, people might be more inclined to buy if they see lots of support'. But I doubt they'll release the SRD so a 3rd party publisher can get a jump on them, and even if they do, I'm sure there will be clauses that prevent it.

Pinotage

wedgeski

Adventurer
Fathead said:
The 3rd party publishers have employees to pay. The later they receive the SRD, the more it pushes back their release schedule. The further their release schedule gets pushed back, the longer they have to go with very little money coming in.
Then perhaps they shouldn't rely on one license to make their living?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Piratecat said:
I'd be shocked if they receive it before the PHB is completely finalized. I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing, either; revision tracking between a SRD, the master PHB document, and outside publishers would be a logistical nightmare.

Right. I think the issue is that they seemed to go to play-testing a little (or more then a little) late. (And then delayed release of the PHB by one month).

But I do expect the rules part of the PHB to be done soon. And I wouldn't be surprised if certain 3rd party publishes got something at the end of December or begining of January. I would be surprised if it was latter then that.

BUT. I do wonder: don't they know some playtesters? It seems that, if they really wanted access to current rules, they could have gotten it. (though they couldn't admit it). But this is clearly speculation.

Remove ads