• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Honestly, how often have you used gnomes?

KrazyHades

First Post
I agree with WotC's choice to remove the gnome, largely because it didn't have any place in the fantasy world. There was nothing you could identify a gnome with, nothing that made them stand out as a new race. They felt, to a lot of people, like clumsy halflings that had useless spellike abilities. So please tell me whether you even actually used them in a major way, be it through a character (as a player) or as a society (as a DM). I've used gnome NPCs before, but literally only because it felt like gnomes didn't exist in my world, since they were unused.

Feel free to disagree with my assessment.

Discuss.

Glyfair

Explorer
Gnomes are great in Eberron.

Of course, Eberron added a lot of cool to most of the "weak" PHB races. Half-elves, gnomes and half-orcs have compelling stories and people in my game want to play them (OK, no half-orcs, but because they wanted a full orc).

I think Eberron shows that they can be interesting. IMO, it's just a flaw of the other settings that they weren't made interesting.

neceros

Adventurer
I dislike gnomes. I, in fact, punt them when possible.
The only thing gnomes had going for them was their familiarity with tinkering, but that's something Humans should be included to do, not gnomes.

Plus gnomes always broke stuff.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Just once, as an NPC. He wasn't taken seriously by the players. Gnomes and halflings are both quietly disappearing from my world...

Cheers, -- N

Clavis

First Post
Gnomes are a huge part of all my campaign worlds. Of all the D&D races, they are the ones that are actually based most directly on real-world folklore. Of course, I'm talking about pre-3.5 edition Gnomes. In my current campaign, Gnomes are the bankers, doctors, lawyers, and sages of the non-human races. They are the original inhabitants of the land, far older than the arrogant upstart elves. They know the world's secrets, because they pay attention and don't take themselves too seriously. They are also the subject of endless conspiracy theories about how they really own everything, and are the secret power behind human governments.

Last edited:

The first thing I did when I started DMing many years ago was to remove gnomes from my games; the reason being they were not distinct enough, and therefore redundant.

It's still the first thing I do when I start a new campaign: "no gnomes", regardless of edition.

The only exception was a brief DragonLance campaign.

KingCrab

First Post
My first campaign had a one that was an illusionist/thief and somewhat of a gnomish rights activist (making sure that other races didn't take advantage of them in any way.)

That was back in 1st edition.

Aside from a one shot 3.5 module I ran, I haven't had anyone play a gnome in one of my games since.

Ahglock

First Post
well i determine NPC race randomly and then modify my basic concept with the idea of where there cultural heritage came form base don race. So about as often as any other PH race.

Gnomes I kind of see as an offshoot of the dwarf race. In campaign settings I usually describe them as once being dwarves but they were segregated due there peculiar interest in magic. Eventually one of the dwarven gods of knowledge took them in and treated them as his own separate race and his magics altered them slightly so they were more adept with magic than ever before. And pwang the Gnomes were born.

pawsplay

Hero
IMC, the halfling acquired a Small holy avenger once wielded by a legendary gnome paladin. That paladin's brother was an evil sorcerer of incredible power involved with some rituals and artifacts that had brought about the ascendence of a powerful demigod.

Remove ads